Advice on SLP Post-Bacc / PreReqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

would-be

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on applying to MS/MA SLP programs and am a little uncertain about what to do when it comes to pre-reqs and post-bacc programs. I'm a non-major (BA International Affairs, minors in German and International Human Rights / MA Political Science) with a few general science courses (nothing SLP-oriented) under my belt, and I could use some advice.

(1) Is it necessary to do SLP-related coursework prior to applying? (From what I've read elsewhere, there are programs which claim to accept those without relevant coursework, but given how competitive admissions can be, it's generally a good idea to take SLP courses prior to applying. Is this accurate?)

(2) Does it matter whether one completes an "official" post-bacc program vs. simply taking relevant courses?*

(3) Although there are many commonalities, different SLP programs have different course prerequisites. Does this mean that a given post-bacc program or set of courses could be adequate for some schools, but would disqualify me from being admitted to others?

(4) Any insight into extended three-year MA/MS programs which incorporate pre-reqs into the degree itself?

* This is one of my main concerns. I live very near to a good, affordable state university with Communication Disorders and Audiology grad programs...this university doesn't have an official post-bacc program, but I could certainly just take the set of courses they list as prerequisites for their MA program. Would that be considered as equivalent to a post-bacc?


Not sure how relevant this is, but I did well in undergrad (3.95), in grad school (4.0), and on the GRE (165 verbal / 160 quant). I've also worked in adult education for a few years, both one-on-one and in classroom settings - ESL, GED, and life skills.
 
I think I may be able to provide some insight. 1) Depends on the school. I knew which 2 or 3 schools I wanted to apply to and what their requirements were. i also CALLED and spoke with people to confirm I could apply without ALL of my pre- reqs done, ( I was finishing the last of them the summer before starting the MS program but I had to apply while in progress.) I did not do an official post bacc, I do NOT think you need to do one (even for Med school you do not, just need the relevant courses and to do well in them. When I was ready I called a local uni and asked to register for courses I knew were pre-reqs. I had to push - they did not like to let people do this but I tried and was able to. 3) I doubt that pre reqs that differ wd disqualify your admission but maybe it has gotten so competitive that this is something that happens. BTW the school I did my MS at had a a lot of students taking pre-reqs there and applying for the program there ( I was an anomaly) but it probably helped their chances and their transition into the program while I was brand new and knew no one (which has its pros and cons). Good luck !