????advice on when to apply??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WWU_Viking

Hi. I am new here. I've been at a community college for two years (DONE, I HAVE A SUMMER OFF!!!!) and will transfer to a university for another three years to complete a BS degree in Biology/Anthropology. I know that a bachelors degree is not needed, but decided to get one anyways. I have worked in a pharmacy 2-3 days a week for since December 2004 and am still doing it. My grades suck:

GCHEM: 3.0, 2.9, 3.0
BIO SERIES: 2.2, 3.0, 2.0
OCHEM: 2.9, 3.0, 2.8
CALC: im taking an accelerated pre cal at the university and then calc and I WILL get a 3.8+

I have evaluated my study habits and know what is wrong and am ready to change and get nothing but A's from now on!

I have condsidered med school sometimes, but my experience lies only in pharmacy and I am okay with the work. I also sometimes feel I have a better chance getting admitted to pharmacy school more quicky.

my major allows room for me to take ochem all over again (to meet a 300 level credit need)-i also like the class, and will get 3.8+ grades in it. my major also includes calc based phsyics, human ap, and micro.

I am considering applying to lots of pharmacy schools the end of my "junior"/begining of my "senior" year to be admitted directly after undergrad. Part of me says I should wait until after undergrad is over so that more grades will appear on my transcript. Any thoughts? I have also thought about summer quarters the next two academic years to get an extra two quarters worth of grades on the transcript.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your plan is good... thats what i'm doing, applying now and hoping to start pharmacy right after I graduate with a molec. bio & biochem degree (crossing fingers). Since you know what you want to do I suggest making yourself a competitive candidate from now on... get involved! be well-rounded, increase your gpa and you should get right in. As for summer? It depends on you, its expensive, but if you have the money go for it. If not then get other experience... lab, pharmacy, volunteering anything like that. I hope i'm helpful, good luck!

You probably want to retake the biology series at WWU.

Unless you need calc based physics, take the regular series. It's way harder than the standard series and can only hurt your GPA. Pharmacy schools won't care about physics grades even if they require that you take it. Protecting your GPA is more important.

Also, you will want to work less while taking University classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:

Unless you need calc based physics, take the regular series. It's way harder than the standard series and can only hurt your GPA. Pharmacy schools won't care about physics grades even if they require that you take it. Protecting your GPA is more important.

thanks. i have already decided, regular physics is where i'm headed.

bananaface said:

thanks. i have already decided, regular physics is where i'm headed. i will not work either. i might do some volunteering 4 hours per week.