Advice please. Post Uni Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cllumsy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really need some advice. I recently graduated from a Canadian University with a gpa of 3.7 (88% 2 years), and have a DAT score of 20 AA, 21 TS, 21 PAT. I got rejected from all the schools I applied to during my 3rd year as my gpa was around 3.55 and had a low DAT score. I know my chances for Ontario are slim, so I will also be applying to private schools in the U.S.

Now, I've decided to retake the DAT to improve it even more, but I haven't decided if i should work during the year or take another year of pointless classes to improve my gpa even further. I heard from my cousin, who's a dentist, that Dental schools prefer if you are still in school whilst applying, and that they will most likely reject me if i work/ am away from education. So, I need advice on if this is true and if i should stay in school for another year to get the best chances of getting accepted. Of course there is a risk If i work and I do not get into any dental school, and end up wasting a year and having to go back to University regardless to improve my gpa. I could really use some advice please on what to do with the next year of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That was not true in my experience. I graduated in 2012 and went straight to work in a non-dental field for about 2.5 years. I then became a stay at home father and will be starting school this September. I personally think if you develop good life experiences and keep busy while not in school, you will be fine. It would look bad if you graduated school and did nothing during the time between graduation and applying.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a canadian too. You should submit your application ASAP - yesterday. you have a shot at quite a few dental schools in the US if you apply correctly. I have a 3.78 gpa and 21AA dat - already have 2 interviews and i didn't submit at the ideal time (mid-late july). Don;t worry about applying out of school, i never heard that to be a problem. And yes your chances in Ontario are very very slim to the point i wouldn't bother applying as UofT interviewed the lowest gpa of 3.79 last year i was told. Western is also very highly competitive. I don't know about you but i would also not want to live 4 years of my life in the middle of no where in Canada, but that's your choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a canadian too. You should submit your application ASAP - yesterday. you have a shot at quite a few dental schools in the US if you apply correctly. I have a 3.78 gpa and 21AA dat - already have 2 interviews and i didn't submit at the ideal time (mid-late july). Don;t worry about applying out of school, i never heard that to be a problem. And yes your chances in Ontario are very very slim to the point i wouldn't bother applying as UofT interviewed the lowest gpa of 3.79 last year i was told. Western is also very highly competitive. I don't know about you but i would also not want to live 4 years of my life in the middle of no where in Canada, but that's your choice.

Oh wow, may I ask which schools you applied to and which one's you got an interview from?

Boston, MWU-AZ, MWU-Illinois,Nova,harvard, Penn, michigan, UNC-CH, NYU, columbia,Case,Temple,Indiana, detroit, maryland, rutgers, pitt, USC. So far II from MWU-AZ and Nova. The key for canadians is to apply to 15+ schools as its even more competitive for us.

Boston, MWU-AZ, MWU-Illinois,Nova,harvard, Penn, michigan, UNC-CH, NYU, columbia,Case,Temple,Indiana, detroit, maryland, rutgers, pitt, USC. So far II from MWU-AZ and Nova. The key for canadians is to apply to 15+ schools as its even more competitive for us.

Hey there! I'm a Canadian too, was just wondering about MWU-AZ and MUW-Illinois, for the Canadian DAT requirements, it says all portions of DAT required. Does that include Manual Dexterity too :(
I stupidly decided to opt out of that section.