Advice Please...

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Mellifera, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Mellifera

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took NBME 2 on 5/18 and scored a 490 (216) after 2 weeks of studying 10-12 hrs per day. I took NBME 4 this morning on 6/1 and scored a 470 (211) after studying 12-14 hrs per day for the past 2 weeks. I feel incredibly discouraged to have worked that hard & see a DROP in my score. I have 2 weeks left. I know that I want to go into radiology-oncology & the average matching score is ~235. Has anyone else been in this position where there score dropped & still managed to pull it off in the last 2 weeks? Also, NBME 4 had a LOT of biochem/molecular questions - was it really representative of the USMLE? It was nothing like NBME 2. Anyhow, I was hoping somebody could provide some guidance since I feel like dirt right now...

2. hsans23

2+ Year Member

i havent taken it yet or anything, but i would say not to worry!! people say 4 is really hard, and all that biochem/cell bio is usually not that high yield on the real thing!!! if i were you, i would study real hard this week, and then take nbme 6 (which i have heard good things about) a week before your test and take that as what you're looking at getting. 2 weeks is a TON of time, IMO! try to use the fear to motivate you rather than paralyze you. good luck

3. jattt

Medical Student
    you need to sort your studyin habits, 12-14 hours a day :idea: das too much man, study 3-4 hours a day and study properly, well das my advice anyway.

4. R_C_Hutchinson

R_C_Hutchinson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't feel too bad; if you look back there are a number of posts about the situation you're in right now. Usually it's just a fluke test, but take a moment to look at how you're studying and see if you think it's what you should be doing.

For me personally, I could get through a lot of material in 12-14 hrs a day but I doubt whether I'd really understand it. You might want to give yourself a little less to get through during the day and it might sink in better...

Good luck!