1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Please...

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Mellifera, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Mellifera

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took NBME 2 on 5/18 and scored a 490 (216) after 2 weeks of studying 10-12 hrs per day. I took NBME 4 this morning on 6/1 and scored a 470 (211) after studying 12-14 hrs per day for the past 2 weeks. I feel incredibly discouraged to have worked that hard & see a DROP in my score. I have 2 weeks left. I know that I want to go into radiology-oncology & the average matching score is ~235. Has anyone else been in this position where there score dropped & still managed to pull it off in the last 2 weeks? Also, NBME 4 had a LOT of biochem/molecular questions - was it really representative of the USMLE? It was nothing like NBME 2. Anyhow, I was hoping somebody could provide some guidance since I feel like dirt right now...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hsans23

2+ Year Member

i havent taken it yet or anything, but i would say not to worry!! people say 4 is really hard, and all that biochem/cell bio is usually not that high yield on the real thing!!! if i were you, i would study real hard this week, and then take nbme 6 (which i have heard good things about) a week before your test and take that as what you're looking at getting. 2 weeks is a TON of time, IMO! try to use the fear to motivate you rather than paralyze you. good luck

4. jattt

Medical Student
    you need to sort your studyin habits, 12-14 hours a day :idea: das too much man, study 3-4 hours a day and study properly, well das my advice anyway.

5. R_C_Hutchinson

R_C_Hutchinson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't feel too bad; if you look back there are a number of posts about the situation you're in right now. Usually it's just a fluke test, but take a moment to look at how you're studying and see if you think it's what you should be doing.

For me personally, I could get through a lot of material in 12-14 hrs a day but I doubt whether I'd really understand it. You might want to give yourself a little less to get through during the day and it might sink in better...

Good luck!