Advice pls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhk46

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I've posted a few times previously and am in need of some advice once again.
So here's the deal: I applied this past cycle (16 schools, no interviews) and the cycle before that (12 schools, 2 interviews) with a 3.25 cgpa and a 3.08 sgpa. I had a DAT of 20/20/20 and roughly 500 hours of shadowing and dental assisting.
This past year, some SDNers suggested doing an informal post-bacc to raise my gpa and show some improvement. I listened to their advice and took three upper level science classes in the fall and got all A's. This raised my numbers to 3.31 cgpa and 3.18 sgpa. I am currently enrolled in four more science classes in hopes of getting all A's and raising my numbers to 3.37 cgpa and 3.29 sgpa. I know these numbers are still pretty low, so I'm wondering what I should do from here. Should I apply early for a third time and see what happens? Continue taking science classes in the summer and possibly in the fall? Keep up with dental assisting? A combination of the above?

I find myself in need of some guidance and any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought of making appointments to speak with some of the assistant deans to discuss your profile? Your DAT is not bad (saw your individual scores) but paired with the lower GPAs and possibly other weaknesses in your app are keeping you from moving ahead.
Also,
-did you apply early?
-did you apply to the right schools?

Either a stronger DAT or more courses with 4.0 showing an upward trend might help. It's really an overall picture so your best bet is to talk to the schools that are in your top 3 and see which aspects they want to see improved.

Hi MentalFloss2012,

Thanks for the input. I haven't really considered talking to assistant deans about my profile. Do you know if they give out personalized info. over the phone or does it depend on the school? I agree that my gpa/dat combination does not exactly stand out.
I submitted in June but realized in August that some schools have gone paperless. I think that held up the review of my application. As for the schools, I applied pretty broadly; west, some middle and some east. What would you say are the 'right' schools?
Right now, I'm shooting for the upward trend. I agree that it's an overall picture. Again, thanks for taking the time to provide suggestions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply early this cycle, continue your dental assisting and continue to take classes. You may be able to add those course grades with the academic update if you don't get accepted by Dec. 1st. I think your GPA is on the lower side, but I believe its still "good enough" to get into dental school, especially with a OK DAT score and upward trend. Be sure to apply to larger private schools (NYU, Tufts, BU, USC), but costs will be an issue.

Good Luck:thumbup:

Hi tothepark,

Thanks for your advice. Do you know if the academic update makes a big difference since it is so late in the cycle? But I will definitely apply to the larger private schools. Although cost will be an issue, I am just hoping for interviews and possible acceptances.
Thanks for the luck, good luck in dental school as well :)

Hi all,
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I've posted a few times previously and am in need of some advice once again.
So here's the deal: I applied this past cycle (16 schools, no interviews) and the cycle before that (12 schools, 2 interviews) with a 3.25 cgpa and a 3.08 sgpa. I had a DAT of 20/20/20 and roughly 500 hours of shadowing and dental assisting.
This past year, some SDNers suggested doing an informal post-bacc to raise my gpa and show some improvement. I listened to their advice and took three upper level science classes in the fall and got all A's. This raised my numbers to 3.31 cgpa and 3.18 sgpa. I am currently enrolled in four more science classes in hopes of getting all A's and raising my numbers to 3.37 cgpa and 3.29 sgpa. I know these numbers are still pretty low, so I'm wondering what I should do from here. Should I apply early for a third time and see what happens? Continue taking science classes in the summer and possibly in the fall? Keep up with dental assisting? A combination of the above?

I find myself in need of some guidance and any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I think you should definitely apply a third time. You'll have the benefit of a strong upward trend in grades and good DAT scores. You seem engaging too, and will do well in interviews :D. Just keep up the good work, and continue with the dental assisting. I think you'd have a chance, especially considering the fact that you received interviews in your first attempt. Best of luck friend.