RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2016
  1. Medical Student
    Curious about a situation regarding a friend of mine:

My pre-med friend is living with a housemate this semester who insists on streaming popular movies and shows on a......questionable... website.

If the ISP agreement is in the housemate's name (IE the housemate pays for the internet/phone/tv while my friend pays the gas bill) is it possible that any repercussions from the housemate's internet activities would negatively effect my friend?

Say the roommate was busted for piracy or something (which schools and local law enforcement have been increasingly strict upon) would they go after only the person who is listed on the ISP as owner, or the entire house?

blackroses

2+ Year Member
    Apr 24, 2014
    1. Pre-Medical
      1. It falls on the shoulders of whoever was responsible for misuse of the content.
      2. Streaming is not encompassed by the laws you're concerned about. Only downloading or showing the content as a "public display" is.

Tl;dr no you will not get in trouble.

About the Ads

OchemOficionado

Staff member
      Volunteer Staff
      5+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Apr 25, 2016
      1. Medical Student
        I dont know, but I do know that the Internet company is likely to send warning emails if they notice. My house in college received several. We would be like, "Who downloaded Friends season 2 at 3:32am last Friday?! We've already discussed this! Go do that on campus." LOL.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
        Apr 24, 2014
        1. Pre-Medical
          I dont know, but I do know that the Internet company is likely to send warning emails if they notice. My house in college received several. We would be like, "Who downloaded Friends season 2 at 3:32am last Friday?! We've already discussed this! Go do that on campus." LOL.
          Streaming is not subject to the same regulations as downloading. If the issue is streaming only, then there are no legal concerns currently.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.