Aerospace Engineer looking at med-school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcb942

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted in pre-med forum so delete if not allowed.

Hello. I am seriously considering med school but I am looking for advice and others in a similar situation. I currently work at NASA, I have an aerospace engineering degree from the University of Texas. My GPA was not the best, 3.1.

The day before I was to go to college in 2009 I found out that I had trigeminal schwannoma. I withdrew from college, had two surgeries to remove the tumor, and returned to college the next semester. The tumor left me with severe strabismus, asymetrical facial muscles, complete neuropathy due to trigeminal nerve damage, severe scars, and neurotrophic keratopathy to the left eye which left me with 20/400 vision. This left me depressed and I did not preform as well in school as I should have.

I had the strabismus corrected in college and things started to look up around my junior year. My last two years of college took my GPA from around 2.5 to 3.1. It was a clear upward trend and took a lot of work. I did well in all of my science courses. I had 3 internships at college at the same company, but I did not really enjoy the work.

I got a job at NASA coming out of college, which is surprising with the GPA that I had. I am very good at interviews and marketing myself. I worked as a ISS flight controller for two years. In this job training never ceased. I had to learn how to truly study, something which I never quite knew how to do in college. There were several tests, all of which were purely verbal in front of review boards. I had to learn to communicate, adapt, and maintain absolute situational awareness in high stress, team-based environments. Over my flight control career I had to partake in 50-60 intense 8 hour simulations. Within these simulations I was placed in situations that could have meant life or death to 6 astronauts, and/or the destruction of the most expensive piece of equipment ever built by man. Needless to say I learned several valuable skills that you cannot learn in many other places. Most importantly I learned how to prioritize and make choices that could have the ultimate consequence.

I was not that happy at this job. In the end it ended up being mostly paperwork. Not as glamorous as it sounded. I could see that I did not want to do this forever, and I honestly would not know what to do when the ISS reached its end of life. I felt as if there was no more room for learning. Some of it was interesting work, but it tied me to one geographic area and the pay was not great. I decided to change departments and transferred out of flight control to engineering. Again I found myself unhappy. Its a good paying job, but I cannot see myself working here forever. It is just not rewarding. I don't feel like I am helping anyone. I feel stagnant, and I desire to continue learning. I made the decision to go to some sort of graduate school. Currently I am planning on getting a masters degree in computer science, which I think I would like, but I am not sure.

I got married last year and just started building a house. I am only 26, so I do not feel like time is running out to go back to school. I have the financial resources to quit work and focus on medical school If I could get in. Throughout my experience with trigeminal schwannoma I was in and out of doctors offices, optometrists, plastic surgeons (I had facial implants to correct the asymmetrical facial muscles) etc. I found myself deeply interested in the eye. In fact I probably put my ophthalmologist's kids through school because I was in there so often. I believe I would be happy as an optometrist or ophthalmologist. I just do not know if I could get into med-school. I would need to go back to school to take pre-recs anyways. Assuming I did this and did well, say 3.8-4.0 GPA, what do you think my chances are at getting into med-school? The kicker is that I cannot leave Texas. My wife and I love Texas and our families are close. Neither of us are willing to leave. Fortunately there are multiple med-schools and even an optometry school within driving distance of where I live. I can take the pre-recs and continue to work, so in the event I did not get into any of these schools, I would only be out a few thousand dollars. I am willing to take this risk, but I just needed someone to talk to that knows more about med-school than I. I figure that there are other engineers out there who decided to become doctors. I feel like I have a unique experience that would appeal to any admissions board assuming I had a good enough post-bac GPA and MCAT. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, having a great story goes a long way in all parts of the process, not just for med school admissions but also in residency interviews. I started med school at 31 years old, with lots of interesting life stories (though not an engineer, and not at NASA!), now I am PGY2 and still drawing on those experiences. I would caution a couple of things: First, even though you have a great "why medicine" story, be sure to check all the boxes, including shadowing. I didn't, because shadowing seemed silly to me; while it worked out well for me in the end, there were lots of questions about that hole in my application. Second, you'll have to do some reflecting to make sure that you can frame the flow of your career in a way that is logical - you're jumping around quite a bit (as did I), so being able to articulate positive reasons for the moves you've made is really important. Making the decision to "go to some sort of graduate school" to get a degree because you think you'll like it doesn't quite fit the bill as a positive, well-reasoned life change. I think you have a compelling story, and I'd bet on you to be successful in medicine, if that's the path you decide to take.

Reactions: 1 users
If medicine is what you want to do, absolutely go for it. I was somewhat non-traditional but I worked in the healthcare industry for a few years before starting school at 25 years old and became very familiar with the application process. Your story is extremely unique and it is clear your have the passion and maturity to be successful in school and as a doctor.

From my experience with the process(and seeing other non traditional students) it seems like MCAT and the science gpa are the biggest hurdles. If you are able to take any additional pre-reqs to boost your science gpa it will more than compensate for your 3.1. I got the impression that having a decent science gpa is very important.

Meet with Deans of schools, admissions officers, and current students and alumni to get you connected with schools are you interested in.

Here is a article about one my classmates that you might find interesting.
https://www.buffalo.edu/ubnow/stories/2016/12/russ-pizzo.html

All the best

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, having a great story goes a long way in all parts of the process, not just for med school admissions but also in residency interviews. I started med school at 31 years old, with lots of interesting life stories (though not an engineer, and not at NASA!), now I am PGY2 and still drawing on those experiences. I would caution a couple of things: First, even though you have a great "why medicine" story, be sure to check all the boxes, including shadowing. I didn't, because shadowing seemed silly to me; while it worked out well for me in the end, there were lots of questions about that hole in my application. Second, you'll have to do some reflecting to make sure that you can frame the flow of your career in a way that is logical - you're jumping around quite a bit (as did I), so being able to articulate positive reasons for the moves you've made is really important. Making the decision to "go to some sort of graduate school" to get a degree because you think you'll like it doesn't quite fit the bill as a positive, well-reasoned life change. I think you have a compelling story, and I'd bet on you to be successful in medicine, if that's the path you decide to take.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You have valid points. Obviously I would not frame it that way in an interview. I see being a doctor as the most rewarding career there is. I remember the joy I had after each of my corrective surgeries. After each one I looked a little more normal. Now you cannot tell that I ever had an issue. When I got a scleral lens from my ophthalmologist and corrected my left eye's vision to 20/30 the world once again had depth. I want to do that for others.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with what everyone said above me. Just absolutely make sure medicine is what you want. If it is and you work your butt off, then I think you have a great chance to not only get matriculated but also develop into a highly successful physician. Good luck to you.

I agree with what everyone said above me. Just absolutely make sure medicine is what you want. If it is and you work your butt off, then I think you have a great chance to not only get matriculated but also develop into a highly successful physician. Good luck to you.

Thanks. I still have awhile to think about it. I just got a new job 3 months ago and I am not going to leave them so soon. I think I will plan to talk to advisers at that various schools around me at some point. Possibly go on a few tours and try to do some shadowing.

I am only 26, so I do not feel like time is running out to go back to school.

My mentor was 40 when he started medical school, with 3 kids. Previous profession was computer engineering.

I believe I would be happy as an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Ophthalmology is highly competitive. Optometry > optho is safer bet to land in the field (but do what you want).

The kicker is that I cannot leave Texas. My wife and I love Texas and our families are close. Neither of us are willing to leave. Fortunately there are multiple med-schools and even an optometry school within driving distance of where I live.

Just do what you have to right now and see where you land. Best wishes to you!

My mentor was 40 when he started medical school, with 3 kids. Previous profession was computer engineering.

Ophthalmology is highly competitive. Optometry > optho is safer bet to land in the field (but do what you want).

Just do what you have to right now and see where you land. Best wishes to you!
Thanks!

As someone coming from a 3.45 in Materials Engineering and currently working their own engineering job they are less than pleased with, I know that we can both accomplish our goals to reach a career in medicine. The engineering job is nice because I'm able to use my hands with different equipment and because I feel financial stable for the first time in my life, but nothing brightens up my heart, soul, and mind when I shadow or scribe at local hospitals. I'm right there with you with worrying I won't be considered competitive enough because of the engineering GPA.