Aerospace Engineering ROTC cadet to Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aeromedman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on the site, but let me tell you about my situation. I am currently going into my 3rd year in Aerospace Engineering, and also have a minor in Military Science and Leadership because I am Army ROTC, pursuing an active duty commission. I have always thought about medical school, but never committed to the idea until now. I am on a 5-year undergrad plan because ROTC adds on an additional 34 credits, but to squeeze in the extra pre-med reqs I will likely be pushed to a couple +18 credit hour semesters, but I'm confident I can handle it. I currently have a 3.21 GPA at Purdue University (#4 Aerospace in the nation). Basically, I'll be honest and admit I was immature and messed around in college my first year, ended up with a 2.75, and have been recovering since. After retaking a class next semester, I expect to have a 3.5 by the end of next year. Hopefully my GPA will continue to increase after that, but I don't feel comfortable saying that my cumulative will ever reach above a 3.7 as Purdue has the lowest GPA inflation rates in the nation, and am hesitant to even guarantee it will be over a 3.6. Given my situation I was wondering if anything about myself would set me apart enough to make up for my lack of GPA. From what I've gathered it doesn't sound like being an Aerospace Engineer will help me that much either. Would being ROTC set me apart from other applicants, or would that be overlooked? Also are there any tips anyone would have to better my situation and keep me competitive with all other candidates?

Members don't see this ad.

I will likely be pushed to a couple +18 credit hour semesters, but I'm confident I can handle it. I currently have a 3.21 GPA at Purdue University (#4 Aerospace in the nation). Basically, I'll be honest and admit I was immature and messed around in college my first year, ended up with a 2.75, and have been recovering since. After retaking a class next semester, I expect to have a 3.5 by the end of next year. Hopefully my GPA will continue to increase after that, but I don't feel comfortable saying that my cumulative will ever reach above a 3.7 as Purdue has the lowest GPA inflation rates in the nation, and am hesitant to even guarantee it will be over a 3.6.

You state that Purdue has the lowest GPA inflation, but then state that you are comfortable with +18 credit hour semesters on top of all that is required of being a cadet? I fully expect to see a "Did I ruin my chances of medical school" from you in the future or another account.

Otherwise, ROTC will not put you in a separate pile by any means, its a nice box under leadership, unless you actually served as a officer which in itself, would be a great display of character and leadership in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you worked out the process and approval to delay your rotc commitment?

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile
I can not apply for an educational delay until after I take the MCAT, which I assume will be after my 4th year, but I still have to work that out when I will be ready to take it.
You state that Purdue has the lowest GPA inflation, but then state that you are comfortable with +18 credit hour semesters on top of all that is required of being a cadet? I fully expect to see a "Did I ruin my chances of medical school" from you in the future or another account.

Otherwise, ROTC will not put you in a separate pile by any means, its a nice box under leadership, unless you actually served as a officer which in itself, would be a great display of character and leadership in my opinion.
It just happens to be like this because I started the process late. It's not that I want to take so many hours, it's just the only way that I can ever satisfy the requirements for my degree in Aerospace and also cover pre-med pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It just happens to be like this because I started the process late. It's not that I want to take so many hours, it's just the only way that I can ever satisfy the requirements for my degree in Aerospace and also cover pre-med pre-reqs.

Regardless, while you may be able to do it, from personal experience, ROTC is quite demanding in time, especially as you move up the leadership ranks with MS-3/4/ LDAC, mandatory PT sessions, whatever teams your on etc. However, this is cadre-centric, so, if your cadre is ok with you spending lots of time away from ROTC, it may succeed, otherwise, from personal experience, most people who went this path that I know did some extensive damage to their academic records

Does anybody know if the military will provide some sort of benefit if I am granted the educational delay? They might grant me an educational delay after I take the MCAT, whether or not I get into medical school. I was told that they would, however I don't really see how they could have any control over admissions processes unless they sent me to USUHS. Can anybody provide any insight on this?

Does anybody know if the military will provide some sort of benefit if I am granted the educational delay? They might grant me an educational delay after I take the MCAT, whether or not I get into medical school. I was told that they would, however I don't really see how they could have any control over admissions processes unless they sent me to USUHS. Can anybody provide any insight on this?

You will have a military benefit when you've actually served in the military. ROTC is pretty much just above the equivalent of Donald Trump saying he has military experience cause he went to a military academy. It's an college EC (an extensive and beneficial one, to be sure) until it's backed up by actual service.