AF COT questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
llort said:
thanks for the info so far, I went to the nearest AFB last weekend and purchased some stuff of the uniform list. a couple questions though..

1. BDU-Bright Rank- is this just the single gold metal bars? do we pin them on our BDU cap?

2. Service Dress-
a. do we need to buy a service cap or just a flight cap?
b. what is the Bright Rank Insignia? is it the same as the bright rank for the BDUs?
c. do we need to buy ribbons yet?
d. what is the Specialty Badge? Do we buy it yet?

3. Mess Dress
Miniature Medals/Miniature Medal mount- do we just ignore this if we have no prior service?

thanks

1. BDU Rank: subdued rank, either pin on or cloth for the collar. Most likely bright rank for BDU cap.
2. Service dress:
a:flight cap most likely will be sufficient, but you might be required to get a service cap.
b:Bright rank is the same.
c:Ribbons depend on what your status will be when you complete COT. If you are still HPSP, you will most like just have the AF training ribbon on completion of COT. If you will be on extended active duty, the National Defense service medal will be authorized once on active duty. Perhaps the GWOT service medal, but don't get me started on that fiasco. Bottom line, wait until COT and most likely until completion of COT.
d: Specialty badge: If HPSP, you are commissioned as a MSC officer until completion of your medical school training. If you have completed med school and will be on active duty, the basic MC badge would be authorized.

2. Mess dress: buy the required items at COT.

If you think that the Mil clothing sales will be out of something that you need, you can always buy through AAFES.com or any other website that sells military insignia.

Enjoy COT, bring a good attitude and welcome to the Air Force.

BK

Members don't see this ad.

For the females attending COT...are we required to wear the low quarter shoes, or may we wear the pumps instead? I would personally much prefer to wear pumps if that is an option.

kaikai128 said:
For the females attending COT...are we required to wear the low quarter shoes, or may we wear the pumps instead? I would personally much prefer to wear pumps if that is an option.
Either one is fine for the service uniform. Pumps are specifically required for the mess dress uniform.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaikai128 said:

You may wear pumps, but I would suggest that you at least have a pair of low quarters on hand for the marching competition. It's not comfortable or practical to perform facing movements in heels.

ANyone leaving New Orleans for COT 2005 in JUNE?
-phil

Anyone who is going to be going to COT in June this summer, please pm me or contact me on AIM (Kyla337). I know of at least a few other ppl and we are hoping to try to get a group together to meet up in the Montgomery area the day or so before we have to go in. I DEFINATELY want to do this...but we need some more ppl.

kaikai128 said:

:laugh:

I haven't seen it lately, but the regs used to authorize combat boots with blues, too. Nobody wears those, but one woman in my field training flight did. Completely legal (at least back then), but looks dumb.

That would give you three choices.

MoosePilot said:
:laugh:

I haven't seen it lately, but the regs used to authorize combat boots with blues, too. Nobody wears those, but one woman in my field training flight did. Completely legal (at least back then), but looks dumb.

That would give you three choices.
The person who swore me in, and also helped me with my uniforms actually told me that it was in reg to wear the combat boots with the blues...but I can't imagine that looking very pleasant.

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it.

Hey all! I found out Friday that I was selected and will be headed to COT in July. Is anyone else around here going in July or just me? My recruiter told me that there were basically no other HPSP folks going in July, but I am skeptical of this claim.

I go today to do acceptance paperwork and get fingerprinted and all that. I'm having last minute commitment jitters, too, but I am trying to ignore them. ;)

Thanks for the help thus far!

BabyDoctor said:
Hey all! I found out Friday that I was selected and will be headed to COT in July. Is anyone else around here going in July or just me? My recruiter told me that there were basically no other HPSP folks going in July, but I am skeptical of this claim.

I go today to do acceptance paperwork and get fingerprinted and all that. I'm having last minute commitment jitters, too, but I am trying to ignore them. ;)

Thanks for the help thus far!

Hey :) I'm HPSP and I'm going to be in july cot...there's actually a lot of ppl that I've met that are going during this time.

BabyDoctor - Were you a candidate for the March boards that were supposed to come out on April 22nd? I was too and still haven't heard from my recruiter. I'm worried that since you heard on Friday maybe that means that I wasn't accepted. I'm so anxious to find out and hope that I get accepted!!
If anybody knows anything I would appreciate it :)

kch207 said:
BabyDoctor - Were you a candidate for the March boards that were supposed to come out on April 22nd? I was too and still haven't heard from my recruiter. I'm worried that since you heard on Friday maybe that means that I wasn't accepted. I'm so anxious to find out and hope that I get accepted!!
If anybody knows anything I would appreciate it :)

I was, yeah. My recruiter said there was some strangeness with the system, in that I looked like an alternate for about an hour and then got changed to selected. Apparently they came up with some additional slots at the last minute or something. Your recruiter should prolly know by now, maybe give them a call and check in? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

After a mess of phone calls I finally found out that I got the scholarship! What a HUGE weight off. Unfortunately I still don't know about OTC, but I'm at least happy to know that I will be in Air Force HPSP. Does anyone happen to know if the July OTC is full yet or should I figure on having to go next year? Thanks so much for all of your help and hopefully I'll get to meet you guys this summer. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
kch207 said:
After a mess of phone calls I finally found out that I got the scholarship! What a HUGE weight off. Unfortunately I still don't know about OTC, but I'm at least happy to know that I will be in Air Force HPSP. Does anyone happen to know if the July OTC is full yet or should I figure on having to go next year? Thanks so much for all of your help and hopefully I'll get to meet you guys this summer. :)

I don't know if it's full or not -- I'm just assuming it isn't. If it is, I'll be seeing you there next June, since I don't have official confirmation of a slot yet, either! ;)

BabyDoctor said:
I don't know if it's full or not -- I'm just assuming it isn't. If it is, I'll be seeing you there next June, since I don't have official confirmation of a slot yet, either! ;)

you should be getting a slew of emails regarding COT if you are going this summer. I'm june COT and I have gotten like 5 random emails confirming my orders and asking if I am going to fly.

llort said:
you should be getting a slew of emails regarding COT if you are going this summer. I'm june COT and I have gotten like 5 random emails confirming my orders and asking if I am going to fly.

Not yet. My background check isn't done yet, so I still haven't been assigned a slot or all that jazz.

How much storage room is given to us in COT? I might be taking my roommate's laptop and was wondering if there was room to lock it up when I am not in my room (because I sure as hell don't want to lose that thing).

Man, I can't believe it's less than 10 days to June COT.

tran1123 said:
How much storage room is given to us in COT? I might be taking my roommate's laptop and was wondering if there was room to lock it up when I am not in my room (because I sure as hell don't want to lose that thing).

Man, I can't believe it's less than 10 days to June COT.

At COT you will share a dorm sized room with one of your flight members. You have a large closet, underbed storage, a desk, a bedside table, and a stack of drawers. You will be able to lock the bottom drawer. Make sure you lock up any money, credit cards, and jewelry that your not wearing. Bring a lock. Other than that, I left my laptop out on my desk all the time. My roommate did the same. Your room is supposed to be locked if noone's in it anyway.

Has anyone thought about what they are bringing with them...i.e. suitcase, dufflebag, etc?

DrChris23 said:
Has anyone thought about what they are bringing with them...i.e. suitcase, dufflebag, etc?

I'm bringing a suitcase + the BDU duffle bag + backpack + no computer

I'm thinking: Suitcase (with duffle unused inside), small carry on, laptop, printer (if I have somewhere to put it as it's a kinda large printer). I'm driving, so I'll have stuff that will be moving with me to FL following COT in the car.

How many civilian outfits should I bring for COT? I don't want to take more than I need to or be unprepared.

Thanks for the information everyone...hopefully everyone received there travel orders and travel itineraries without incident if they are flying. I received my travel itinerary this morning and found that they had me flying to Montgomery, AL from Detroit on the 31st of May as expected but returning to Detroit the next day? Gotta love dealing with Omega Travel :)

Good Question, I'm not sure either I was just thinking of bring a couple civilian outfits just in case.

tran1123 said:
How many civilian outfits should I bring for COT? I don't want to take more than I need to or be unprepared.

DrChris23 said:
Good Question, I'm not sure either I was just thinking of bring a couple civilian outfits just in case.

Take 2-4 outfits and a bathing suit. You will be allowed to wear civies in the evening and on weekends. Most flights will go bowling, to the O Club, out for drinks, or even to Pensacola for a weekend. And the pool is a good place to hang out on the weekend if you don't have anything else to do... you can get some studying done there.

How accessible is wireless internet? Does anyone know? My ethernet port has been broken for over a year, but since I never use it I haven't bothered to get it fixed. I need to know if I need to get that taken care of before I head to COT!

How is the internet access at Maxwell (esp. in the dorms).

I dont' know if this is true for us...but the basic officer trainees only have access to the internet at the library (and maybe somewhere else), but not in the dorm or dorm rooms. I think that maybe they had access to their government (.gimail) email accounts from their dorms.

Does someone from Maxwell pick us up from the Airport, or do we have to take a taxi?

medicine1 said:
Does someone from Maxwell pick us up from the Airport, or do we have to take a taxi?

There will be a FTO at the Airport to pick you up in a bus with a lot of other COT students. You won't miss him/her. There's only 1 baggage claim terminal, and the "reception table" will be right beside it.

Man this thread is filled with great advice! I was just wondering how many USUHS 2009ers will be at COT in july?.. Just don't want too much competition for the top graduate award. ;)

bugmenot said:
Man this thread is filled with great advice! I was just wondering how many USUHS 2009ers will be at COT in july?.. Just don't want too much competition for the top graduate award.

There is a top graduate award? What does it entail? I've heard about trying to score above a 90 on the PT test or getting certified as a marksman, but there are other awards, too? Oh now it's on!

Yeah!! That's more like it.. good old fashioned competition, I think we just might get along. Just to make the playing field fair, I'll tell you all I know. I think the first test we have to take at cot is on the opperating instructions that they give us when we get there... They also put a copy of the OIs on the cot webpage?.. The best thing to do is go to http://ots.afoats.af.mil/23ts/Inbound files/Inbound COT.htm
and download the operating instructions (pdf). They tell us how to act and all the little things we need to know when we get there like how to line up for lunch and how much time we have to eat ect. They also talk about the various awards that are given out. For top grad you have to have the highest score overall (written tests, 1.5 mile run, situps ect.) Just fyi we have to write a report or two and give an oral "briefing". One of my friends went to COT a few years ago and I think he won the leadership award and they gave him a sword? I haven't talked with him since I signed up for AF, but I think that was the award he won..

I am fresh out of June COT so here is my two cents.

To get Distinguished Grad, you must be in the top 10% in these: 2 Consolidated Written Tests (CWT, tests on all the stuff from classroom) weighted at 65%, a Student Publication Test (SPT, tests on OI) at 10%, flight commander rating at 15%, PFA at 10%. Each CWT and SPT must be at least 80, flight commander must rate you "satisfactory" or higher in professionalism/leadership/communication, Leadership Effectiveness Report at least "satisfactory", briefing evaluation at least "low sat", and PFA "good" or higher. The Top Grad is the one with the highest points. Our Top Grad got a big trophy of an eagle.

Note: The OIs on the website only contain less than half of what you need to know for the SPT. Also, class averages on the CWT and SPT were in the upper 80s. You are competing against med/dental students, doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. It's a very tough group to compete against. Average PFA score was around 88-89. Pray you get a flight commander who is an easy grader.

Thanks for the additonal info.. anything other tips that haven't been mentioned we need to know.. good/bad cafeteria selections ect (ie. don't eat the roast)..

The chow hall seems to serve three things consistently .... baked chicken, baked fish, and raviolli. Have fun with that. As for the food in general, it's different for each person. I personally hate the tuna and noodles, but some people like it. Oh well, where else can you get a meal for less than $3 (if you don't go crazy)? However, do try to take every opportunity to eat out (i.e. Taco Bell, Burger King, etc.) because you will get sick of the food from the chow hall by the thrid week.

Make sure you hydrate often. Alabama is hot as Hades and will be worse in July. Drink at least 2 glasses of water/Powerade during each meal. Water is free and Powerade is 10 cents a glass at the chow hall. They will chew you out if you faint and then admit that you have not hydrated recently.

The Air University library is the only place you will be able to check your private email account. The computers in the dorm and flight room block out such websites.

To print your memorandums and such, the flight room is usually the first place to go. However, if they run out of ink, try the BOT computer lab on the second floor above the OTS Large auditorium. Take note that the place closes at 945 PM, as does your flight room.

For HPSP, you are authorized to wear the National Defense ribbon and the training ribbon upon graduation. You are also authorized to wear the Medical Services specialty badge (basic). We got an email from Maj. Frisco telling us this. For each COT class, the flight commanders will change and will not know this additional information. If it comes up, email Maj. Frisco.

Don't procrastinate on your Samples of Behavior (SOB's) or else you will kill yourself the night before the exam.

Take PT seriously. Your PFA scores will be reported to Maj. Frisco.

Speaking of PT, hopefully you will have TSgt Simon as the instructor. She is great and will make all of you laugh. We had a decent number of PT jokes coming out of COT.

The new commander of the 23rd Training Squadron (which is COT) is brand new. The change of command ceremony was June 24. Try not to give LtCol Morris a hard time.

Get as much sleep as possible. Five hours is the ideal in this environment.

Don't lose your military bearings and remember your customs and courtesies (you will be taught them). You will get chewed out by the flight commanders if you forget them. Wear a watch if you have one because you will need to know when it is morning/afternoon/evening or else you will make the mistake of saying "good afternoon, sir" at 9AM or "good evening, sir" at 2PM to the flight commanders.

Make sure before you come, :thumbup: that you know your Reporting proceedures, as well as, some of the basic customs and courtesies before you get there.
Check out the following webpages:

http://ots.afoats.af.mil/23ts/Inbound files/Operating Instructions.htm

http://ots.afoats.af.mil/23ts/Inbound files/COT OI/23 TRS OI 36-6 OTS Student Procedures.doc

From student OI's:

2.3.1.4. When given the order to enter, march using the most direct route to the staff member, perform the appropriate facing movement, center yourself on the individual, salute if reporting to an officer and state the appropriate reporting statement. A salute is not required, when reporting to enlisted staff members.

2.3.1.4.1. "Sir/Ma'am, Rank/last name reports as ordered."

2.3.1.4.2. "Sir/Ma'am, Rank/last name reports to make a statement."

2.3.1.4.3. "Sir/Ma'am, Rank/last name reports to ask a question."

2.3.1.5. The reporting student will hold the salute until the officer drops their salute.

2.3.1.6. Stay at the position of attention unless told otherwise.

2.3.1.7. At the end of the conversation, assume the position of attention (if at a different position), and ask, "Will that be all sir/ma'am?"

2.3.1.8. If so, render the greeting of the day and salute until the officer drops their salute. A salute is not required when reporting to enlisted staff members.

...and the new COT class is now in session (I think)....While I am sleeping in my own big red bed, I will think of the poor COT/BOT students struggling not to sleep in theirs. :)

It was a long month, but I had fun. :-D

kaikai128 said:
...and the new COT class is now in session (I think)....While I am sleeping in my own big red bed, I will think of the poor COT/BOT students struggling not to sleep in theirs. :)

It was a long month, but I had fun. :-D

You oughta tell some stories. I've always been curious how COT compares to the other USAF officer training programs.

I know that it is nothing like BOT. We didn't have room inspections, we didn't have 12 weeks, we didn't have demerits, people didn't yell at us, etc. I actually can say that I had fun at times.

I will look back upon it favorably--I definately wish that it was a bit longer. Aside from the above differences, most of what they cut out between COT and BOT is the fun stuff (2nd day @ LRC, more time at the AEF, Flickerball, etc). I spent most of my days just trying to stay awake during lecture. I thought that the physical stuff was a joke, I scored in that "excellent" category without working out prior to COT or during COT between the PFD and PFA.

I'm sure everyone's BOT/Acadmey/ROTC stories are much more interesting than mine....

kaikai128 said:
I know that it is nothing like BOT. We didn't have room inspections, we didn't have 12 weeks, we didn't have demerits, people didn't yell at us, etc. I actually can say that I had fun at times.

I will look back upon it favorably--I definately wish that it was a bit longer. Aside from the above differences, most of what they cut out between COT and BOT is the fun stuff (2nd day @ LRC, more time at the AEF, Flickerball, etc). I spent most of my days just trying to stay awake during lecture. I thought that the physical stuff was a joke, I scored in that "excellent" category without working out prior to COT or during COT between the PFD and PFA.

I'm sure everyone's BOT/Acadmey/ROTC stories are much more interesting than mine....

No room inspections. Did you have uniform inspections? How long to eat? Did you get to shoot? Drill? What was the physical fitness test? Any obstacle course/confidence course (you mentioned LRC, but this is something different)?

What does BOT stand for?

MoosePilot said:
No room inspections. Did you have uniform inspections? How long to eat? Did you get to shoot? Drill? What was the physical fitness test? Any obstacle course/confidence course (you mentioned LRC, but this is something different)?

What does BOT stand for?
--No room inspections.
--We did have uniform inspections (per our Flight Commanders...some flights got off easy, mine didn't).
--20 minutes to eat.
--No, we didn't get to play with any firearms. :( BOOOOO...
--Drill, we had a little...but it was very limited. I actually wish we had more, because I felt like an idiot walking around not knowing what I was doing the majority of the time.
--PFA: 1.5 mile run, 60 sec situps, 60 sec push-ups, waist measurement (guys--you get screwed on this one). I think this is the AF standard...still a joke.
--Obstacle course: we had the Leadership Reaction Course (obstacles as a team), a patient transport obstacle course, and another individual obstacle course that we did at the end of our AEF Exercise. (Some of the obstacles were weak, there was only one that was really a big challenge for me).
--BOT: Basic Officers Training (OTS)...the 12 week OTS program that rated and most other positions go through.

I thought that it was realtively easy compared to what I was expecting. However, I would say that I am definately in the minority (specifically with the females). Most of the females around me spent the entire month complaining and crying about how it wasn't the fork and knife school that they were expecting.

From what I've heard, they have beefed the program up in the last several years to make it a bit more difficult. Academically: we did 2/3 of total Basic Officer Training academic schedule in 1/3 of the amount of time.

Drill was great except they didnt give us any real time to practice. They would teach you stuff right up until the drill comp. I guess COT students having to march around was new as of 2 years ago. I'd say 75% of the class I was in actually marched around correctly... some just didnt care.

kaikai128 said:
--No room inspections.
--We did have uniform inspections (per our Flight Commanders...some flights got off easy, mine didn't).
--20 minutes to eat.
--No, we didn't get to play with any firearms. :( BOOOOO...
--Drill, we had a little...but it was very limited. I actually wish we had more, because I felt like an idiot walking around not knowing what I was doing the majority of the time.
--PFA: 1.5 mile run, 60 sec situps, 60 sec push-ups, waist measurement (guys--you get screwed on this one). I think this is the AF standard...still a joke.
--Obstacle course: we had the Leadership Reaction Course (obstacles as a team), a patient transport obstacle course, and another individual obstacle course that we did at the end of our AEF Exercise. (Some of the obstacles were weak, there was only one that was really a big challenge for me).
--BOT: Basic Officers Training (OTS)...the 12 week OTS program that rated and most other positions go through.

Thanks! It's interesting to hear how it's different. We had 6 minutes to eat to start with and then the extended it to 8 when we were good (actually I think it's because we were dropping too much weight - I lost 15 pounds and didn't need to). We had constant uniform inspections, at least one a week. We did a lot of drill and marched everywhere as a flight. We didn't get to eat anything outside of chow, go anywhere by ourselves, or call anyone until the end. It was pretty crappy, really.

Our PFT was two part. The 1.5 in roughly 12 minutes for men was one part. The other part was push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, a longjump, and a shorter run. You could only fail one event and had to make a certain number of points.

Uniform inspections: nearly every day Mon-Fri. During duty hours, we were to march everywhere either as a flight (to from lunch), or in details of 2-4. After duty hours, we were allowed to go on our own if we had a need to, but groups were still prefered.

For our PFA, we didn't have the short run or the jump. I don't remember what the 1.5mile time was for the men, but for women to get max points our time was 11:07 (I think)...I know my 11:20 didn't get me max points.

I know we had it easy...I can't complain. I almost wish we had a little more of the regular experience, because then we wouldn't get flax in the future about not going through the "real" training. All is well that ends well...My training is over, I had a great time, and I learned a lot.

I just got back from COT. Like Kaikai128, I would have liked the program to be longer. We spent only an hour soing PT every morning and did very little marching. The rest of our time was spent in lecture. In all honesty, the hardest part about COT was staying awake in class.

Kai did forget to mention one thing: during the third week we have the Warrior Run, a 3-mile race down the flight line on MAxwell AFB.

deuist said:
I just got back from COT. Like Kaikai128, I would have liked the program to be longer. We spent only an hour soing PT every morning and did very little marching. The rest of our time was spent in lecture. In all honesty, the hardest part about COT was staying awake in class.

Kai did forget to mention one thing: during the third week we have the Warrior Run, a 3-mile race down the flight line on MAxwell AFB.

I highly doubt that the Warrior Run was 3 miles. I was on waiver that day (for June COT) and was a timekeeper. The first person came in around 12 minutes. I did not hear of anyone doing their PFA run in 6 minutes during my entire time at COT, so I highly doubt the distance of the Warrior Run added up correctly. Other timekeepers and some of the hardcore runners also did not believe that the distance was 3 miles either. Also, the very last person came in around 25 or 26 minutes. During the PFA, the last person was still running around 16 minutes.