AF Dental Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burnthestatus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am very interested in joining the Air Force (even the Navy), and I have heard that they offer a full tuition dental scholarship. How does one go about the process--I was told to just bring your acceptance letter from any dental school, and then what?

How competitive is the scholarship? Does anyone know what kind of qualifications one must meet in regards to DAT scores and GPA? Is it any dental school that they will pay for (i.e., Tuft's and BU)? What other qualifications are there?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to apply for it. Contact a recruiter and they will help you out. You cant just walk in w/ an acceptance letter and get the scholarship. You have to fill out the necessary applications, get LORs, and get accepted by the review board. The AF is the most competitive branch. There are quite a few people who apply and get turned down/put on the waiting list in the hopes that someone drops. In that case they either a.) wait to try for a 3 yr HPSP or b.) sign w/ a different branch. I know w/ the AF if you have a 19 DAT and a 3.5 GPA you can qualify for an automatic accepance. I think they call it the matrix system or something but I dont recall. They will cover the tuition of any school. There is no cap on the scholarship. There are threads that have discussed this in the past so you might even be able to get some answers in some of those. good luck

Thanks for the reply! yeah, I knew you just can't walk in and get it. I'm sorry for sounding that way. What would my chances of 3.77GPA and DAT 18/18/20TS/AA/PA be? Also, I have been reading that they refuse to purchase a laptop, even if required by school?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you have a legitimate shot to get picked for it. Remember that it is more than just numbers, you have to fill out the application, get LORs, write those essays, etc. So there's quite a bit that goes into it. If by some chance you know someone w/ current/prior military (preferably officer) experience...get them to write one. I have an uncle in the AF and my dentist is former Navy so I had those two write me letters and it worked like a charm. I actually got selected two weeks earlier than the first "selection date". But as far as your stats go...basically if you can get accepted to Dschool..you can get accepted for the scholarship. Just get your stuff in early. and yes they wont buy the laptop. i was under the impression they would if required..but turns out they wont. i thought maybe I had beat the system since our school told us it was just factored into tuition and the AF had already covered it. not so. that's gonna cost me like 2k. ouch. and i barely even use the damn thing. oh well. good luck though, and if u have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

thanks! I really don't have anyone in the military from whom I can get a letter. The dentist I shadowed wasn't in the military, and none of my relatives are. I can however, get good letters from profs and a dentist--do they have to be specifically geared at reccommending me for the military, or just that I am a good person in general (for lack of a better word choice)?

Also, for example, if you go to BU, their charges include a computer fee of $1700 that no one can avoid, because the laptops are required,and they are specificall chosen for their program. The AF would have to pay for that, wouldn't they?

Also, shamrock, if you don't mind me asking, what school do you attend, and what has been your monthly stipend, and has it ever changed?

again, thank you!

Has anyone heard if the Air Force is going to start offering one year scholarships?
Also since the Navy is offering the 20,000k sign bonus is the Air Force going to try to match that?

You dont really need one from the military...i just think it would be an added bonus. its not going to keep you out if you dont have one. Most people probably dont actually. its my understanding that no matter what the circumstance you have to buy your computer. if they tack it on to your tuition..once the AF gets billed and they see "lap top fee"..they will probably cover everything but that and you'll get a letter from your school saying you have to pay for it. that is just an assumption. i'll let you know what happens when they make us pay for ours. Oh, and I go to UDM (detroit mercy).

And as far as Veneto's question. the AF does not do 1 yr scholarships..i believe they have a 2 yr that they are trying to phase out. Obviously they have 3 yr and 4 yr too. I've also heard they are trying, or will be trying at some point, to make them all 4 yr. I cant confirm that however. And as far as the signing bonus..while i can't say for sure..i highly doubt it. The AF doesnt really have trouble making their quota so there would be no reason to. but the stipend has increased..and this goes back to my first response...the stipend right now is roughly 1600 (up from 1319-ish)..and apparently in july of next year it will shoot up to around 1900. So its pretty nice to have that coming in steadily.

Thanks shamrock. Does the Air Force pay for room and board in addition to tuition? If it's not too hard, can you please list all the expenses they do cover?

Also, for the four years that I have to be in the reserve, can I choose to be on active duty, making it a total of 8 years active service? And then be done with my contract?

Thanks shamrock. Does the Air Force pay for room and board in addition to tuition? If it's not too hard, can you please list all the expenses they do cover?

Also, for the four years that I have to be in the reserve, can I choose to be on active duty, making it a total of 8 years active service? And then be done with my contract?
Performing a search in these forums will get you the info you need.

ok, I've searched a lot. I've even read the HPSP contract online. It doesn't say anything about room and board. I was told they cover that, but I can't find that info anywhere and so I'm assuming they don't. I just wanted someone who is in the program to tell me, and I'll feel better about it.

the scholarship does not cover room and board. thats what the stipend is for. Basically it gets broken down to "covering everything that is ABSOLUTELY required" to get your education. Room and board is not a requirement b/c I guess "technically" if you went somewhere close to home you'd be living w/ your parents. They pay for schooling expenses, not living expenses on top of the stipend. They'd love it if you stayed active. They want people for as long as they can get 'em. But dont get reserve confused w/ inactive reserve. Once your committment time is up. You dont go "reserve"..that would mean 1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year. You go on IRR. Basically means you'd be working as a civilian and if by some freak chance they needed to call up a dentist...they could.

thanks! what is the salary on active duty? are there any taxes? and, are you paid if you're in IRR?

Members don't see this ad :)
salary depends on your rank..and the debate over whether or not you get "special" pay for being a dentist is something I havent gotten answered yet. I'd say maybe around 60k/yr when its all said and done..maybe? You do get taxed...but there are parts of your pay that dont get taxed..i forget which parts. and No, you dont get paid while on IRR. you're not actually "serving" while on IRR...you're just doing your own thing and hanging in the breeze on the outside chance they need you. which is extremely unlikely. even if world war III breaks out the odds of an IRR dentists being called up at minimal at best.

sorry...edit

salary depends on your rank..and the debate over whether or not you get "special" pay for being a dentist is something I havent gotten answered yet. I'd say maybe around 60k/yr when its all said and done..maybe? You do get taxed...but there are parts of your pay that dont get taxed..i forget which parts. and No, you dont get paid while on IRR. you're not actually "serving" while on IRR...you're just doing your own thing and hanging in the breeze on the outside chance they need you. which is extremely unlikely. even if world war III breaks out the odds of an IRR dentists being called up at minimal at best.

Every dentist gets a couple of bonuses. The ASP and VSP. these add up to about $7K/year. You make about $63K/year if you are just starting off.

is the 63K before taxes, or after. I'm hoping after! Thanks for the info.

If you apply and are accepted, how much time are you given to accept the scholarship? Thanks!

I dont think there was a specific timeframe in which to accept/decline. However, if its something you KNOW that you want to do...its much better to get it done sooner than later. I say that b/c the sooner you get it settled, the sooner they can start working on your financial stuff and you can clear up errors before school starts.

I've actually just been accepted for the AF Dental HPSP! I'm so excited and it's a huge relief to know that my dschool will be fully funded :)

I've actually just been accepted for the AF Dental HPSP! I'm so excited and it's a huge relief to know that my dschool will be fully funded :)

hey me too! maybe ill see you in COT this summer

So, have you guys ALREADY been accepted by a school for this current cycle?

I thought that in order to apply, one must first be accepted by a school...

You can apply and get accepted before you have a dschool acceptance. You just cant take that scholarship w/o a letter of acceptance. Right now...its kind of like winning a lifetime supply of gas but not having a car. You have a fully funded education..but technically no school yet. If you get the scholarship..but dont get accepted to Dschool..then you dont get the scholarship.

OH MAN! I TOTALLY DID NOT KNOW! I better start looking for a recruiter. Thanks shamrock! what luck.

OH MAN! I TOTALLY DID NOT KNOW! I better start looking for a recruiter. Thanks shamrock! what luck.

This is a fairly new thing. A couple years ago that didn't happen. Since there is a shortage of dentists, they are changing how they attack this shortage.

I need to be commissioned. The recruiter told me to find anyone in the military...upon which I'm not sure what happens. Care to elaborate?

If you need to be commissioned...find an officer, set up a time and a place, make sure a flag is present. Get sworn in. I dont think there's much more to it.

How far along would or should you be in your pre-dental pre-reqs when applying for the contract?

apply for it during the time you're applying to dental school.

How is the AF in placing you during your payback, can you choose where you end up?

From what I understand...You'll get to list out some of your top choices. They will try to accomodate you but ultimately they are going to send you where they need you. In the military...unless you get it in writing...nothing is guaranteed.

How is the AF in placing you during your payback, can you choose where you end up?

I just got the AF acceptance about two weeks ago.. will try my best answering:

for the 4 yrs payback time in AF, the chance is that you will stay at one of the 30+ bases AF has during the whole time. you may be called for a temporary duty for 4-6 months, and then you're back to the original base. at the end of the commitment, you can decide whether you want to op-out and back to the civil civilization, or continue serve at a new or same base. Since AF would like you to stay, you are likely to get your top base choice (such as stationed in europe) and maybe a bonus.

If you want to know where the AF has base at, there is a fancy flash app. on the AF website through which you can navigate through all the bases around the world. it would be a pretty good place to start.

any of you guys know the chances of being deployed.
i wouldn't want to join if i would be deployed outside the US.
thanks