African American pre-dentals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realtalk

pre-dental
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if their any of us on this website, and if there are how is the application process going, maybe you could give you stats to give people an idea. Mine are 3.2 gpa 3.1 science 17aa 19 ts 16 pat
I have 4 interviews so far and hopefully more on the way :) . I saw a thread like this in the pre-med forum so I thought why not start one here. Any minority is welcome to share there experience or ask questions. OK begin.

Members don't see this ad.

realtalk said:
I was just wondering if their any of us on this website, and if there are how is the application process going, maybe you could give you stats to give people an idea. Mine are 3.2 gpa 3.1 science 17aa 19 ts 16 pat
I have 4 interviews so far and hopefully more on the way :) . I saw a thread like this in the pre-med forum so I thought why not start one here. Any minority is welcome to share there experience or ask questions. OK begin.

would you tell me which school did you get invited for interview?
thanks

in california white people are technically the minorities now. food for thought

Members don't see this ad :)
howui3 said:
in california white people are technically the minorities now. food for thought

Only in college my friend. But I guess hispanics can be the majority in the state.

By the way, has anyone on SDN ever identified their ethnicities?

EyeAmCommi said:
Only in college my friend. But I guess hispanics can be the majority in the state.

By the way, has anyone on SDN ever identified their ethnicities?

There is no majority race in California. You can say the largest minority. ;)

dat_student said:
There is no majority race in California. You can say the largest minority. ;)

That's probably right. Man you are good with numbers. What's your QR score?

I'm Hispanic and will be applying to universities that like minorities. I'm a bit stock becuase I won't go to a place where the schools are not good for my children.

I'm also 1/2 black...they won't believe me, but I can bring my dad to prove it! :laugh:

I have a persian name and last name, so I also hope they DO believe me when I tell them I'm 100% Latina--just happened to be born with this name :love:

Congrats on the 4 interviews already!!!! :D :luck:

I'm from El Salvador and so far things are going pretty well from me. Though, by now I am pretty different than guys from El Salvador; I've been in the US since I was 3 and I became a citizen 5 years ago.

Peace out

eapleitez said:
I'm from El Salvador and so far things are going pretty well from me. Though, by now I am pretty different than guys from El Salvador; I've been in the US since I was 3 and I became a citizen 5 years ago.

Peace out

Amigo/amiga buena suerte with the interviews! Show them the great mix that you have! :luck:

This is great, I am glad to see their are some minorities on this website. I'm all about promoting unity between races. Oh I interviewed at baylor, and have interviews at tufts, boston and temple. Hope I get in somewhere with my scores I'm afraid though. I just try to keep telling myself they wouldn't ask you for an interview if they aren't interested. What do you guys think. KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED AND FEELING BLESSED. :luck:

there are great organization called Undergrad Student National Dental association. Look for a local chapter in your area. it's not just for minorities, but lot of the members are composed of minorities (at least for chapters around here)

whatup. i started one of these over the summer it trailed off though...congrats on the interviews you will get in somewhere. I have had interviews at MCG, UNC, Harvard, Penn, Temple and I have Michigan (my last one!) coming up. Always check the interview feedback b/f going to an interview it is pretty helpful.

Hello fellow peers,
I am an AA and I am loving life. I just interviewed at VCU (27th) and New Jersey (28th). I loved NJ. The school is beautiful, and the people are sincere. I have an interview @ maryland on Nov 2, and Temple Nov 15. I want to tell everyone to ASK mucho preguntas! Find minority students there and talk to them. GET the real deal. Dec 1. will be here soon and that day you are at the schools you have to take advantage of you time. Please respond back to this thread so we can keep it going. Ooh I live in the D.C area, where is everyone from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, please don't dwell on your DAT scores and GPA. If you were invited for an interview, there is something they like. Let you personality and professionalism make up for lapse in grades and scores. I hope we can represent more than 3-7% of matriculated students this year; and I believe we can. My experience is that after interview invites its on YOU to persuade the committee (i can't spell ;)

realtalk said:
This is great, I am glad to see their are some minorities on this website. I'm all about promoting unity between races. Oh I interviewed at baylor, and have interviews at tufts, boston and temple. Hope I get in somewhere with my scores I'm afraid though. I just try to keep telling myself they wouldn't ask you for an interview if they aren't interested. What do you guys think. KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED AND FEELING BLESSED. :luck:

:thumbup: Yeah, it makes me proud to see that there is a good amount of us making it and trying to do big things. I thnik its important to take this website at face value. Don't get overwhelmed by everyones GPA and DAT score. This is just a small fraction of the applicants to dental school. Dental schools range in their acceptences. The national average is a 3.28 GPA and a 17 AA and 16 PAT. More than half of the total applicants that apply get in. So just sit and have faith everything will take care of it self. Keep the tread posts coming. :)

Thank you guys for posting such a positive message. I hope that every year the % of minorities goes up, so that we can represent our people in the medical field. There's a lot to overcome here in USA with prejudice. But things are getting better. Rosa Park's arrest and $14 fine--40 yrs ago sure made a huge difference! God bless her soul.

Now that there are acceptances going around. I was wondering if there are any URM that are in. I was scheduled for seven interviews and got into my top 3 choices. Now its our time to make a mark in this profession. God bless and be easy. :D

yeah that's a good idea, maybe we should get a list going of people with acceptances or whatever, can you start clubs on SDN?

realtalk said:
Now that there are acceptances going around. I was wondering if there are any URM that are in. I was scheduled for seven interviews and got into my top 3 choices. Now its our time to make a mark in this profession. God bless and be easy. :D

every time i see your name, i think of this skit they used to do on madtv called "real f*&$ing talk with dollar bill"...

So refreshing to see this thread. I was wondering if there were other African American Pre-Dents on SDN. I tend to read the posts but never actually say much, but I couldn't pass up the option to get in on this one. So far, I've had two interviews and one offer. But since that was my top choice, i'm done searching. Question: What part of the country are you all from?

~Originally from GA, in school in FL

Hi guys, just wanted to say hello.. I am A.A., and applying to dental school for 2006. I went to school in New Orleans and had to relocate due to Katrina, so my application was just sent to schools Nov. 18. On top of that I am having a hard time finding my proffesors for LORs,, I hope everyone else is having a easier time applying.

allexsimmons said:
Hi guys, just wanted to say hello.. I am A.A., and applying to dental school for 2006. I went to school in New Orleans and had to relocate due to Katrina, so my application was just sent to schools Nov. 18. On top of that I am having a hard time finding my proffesors for LORs,, I hope everyone else is having a easier time applying.

So sorry to hear about that... I hope all is well with you and your loved ones. Best of luck with your applications... :luck:

I'm from Texas, just went to school in New Orleans, so my family is fine.

Hey people! i'm not African American but i'm brown :D and AFRICAN, can I play?! :D

allexsimmons said:

I understand your situation. I went to Xavier in New Orleans before Katrina. Remain positive and when your interviews start rolling in, feel free to explain your situation to the admissions committee. If the schools received your info in November then your not that far behind. I've had three interviews and one acceptance so far and I was also rather behind in applying. Good luck!

Hello everyone, I guess I'll start. I'm in D.C metro area and I've been accepted to VCU and UMDNJ. Trying to decide which one. What about ya'll? :)

amberw said:
Hello everyone, I guess I'll start. I'm in D.C metro area and I've been accepted to VCU and UMDNJ. Trying to decide which one. What about ya'll? :)

I am from Dallas, Tx. I have been accepted to Baylor, Howard, and Tufts. I'm probably going to go to Baylor because its cheaper than howard and i'm an in-state resident. Hope we can Keep this trend of URM intersted in dental school and getting accepted. Anyway God bless, be easy. :D

Hello all,

I am AA and currently working as a dental assistant. I am just returning to school to complete my undergrad after taking 4+ years off. It is so refreshing to see this thread. Good luck to all of you.

African American female, been accepted to all of my schools. Glad to see that minorities on SDN are representin.

:thumbup: I'm West Indian, from Trinidad, currently living in Florida. Got married recently, thus explaining my absence from the boards lately. Applying in 2007... :thumbup:

busupshot83 said:
:thumbup: I'm West Indian, from Trinidad, currently living in Florida. Got married recently, thus explaining my absence from the boards lately. Applying in 2007... :thumbup:

Make sure you contact the people on this thread to get tips and the like. PM me if you need some stuff, i have some DAT stuff i have been trying to unload...

bkwash said:
Make sure you contact the people on this thread to get tips and the like. PM me if you need some stuff, i have some DAT stuff i have been trying to unload...

sure thing, thanks! good luck to everyone on their application endeavors.

busupshot83 said:

I've wondered where you have been. Congratulations!!

Sprgrover said:

Thanks man. I'll be sure to update my stats page when I get the chance... there's no reason to leave all that html code just sitting there :rolleyes:.

Sprgrover said:

Thanks man. I'll be sure to update my stats page when I get the chance... there's no reason to leave all that html code just sitting there :rolleyes:.

I'll need to get the newest stats book first though.

:) Guys let's re-vamp this thread. I'm ready to start networking with fellow peers. Again, I will be attending UMB. Anyone else out there? Are there any issues we need/ should be talking about? Do any of you plan on becoming active in your school's SNDA? etc , etc, etc

I agree. I will be attending UNC in the fall.

I will definately be active in Baylors SNDA. PM me if anyone has any questions. Congrats again to everyone who has gotten in to school on the forum. To those who have yet to apply or get in everything happens in time, just be patient and good things will happen. Be blessed. :D

Yeah i am going to be active in SNDA at HSDM, i hear it isn't as active as it should be... :scared:

bkwash said:
Yeah i am going to be active in SNDA at HSDM, i hear it isn't as active as it should be... :scared:

Well we will definitely have to revive it next year :) . See you there

Dental Mom said:
I'm Hispanic and will be applying to universities that like minorities. I'm a bit stock becuase I won't go to a place where the schools are not good for my children.

I'm also 1/2 black...they won't believe me, but I can bring my dad to prove it! :laugh:

I have a persian name and last name, so I also hope they DO believe me when I tell them I'm 100% Latina--just happened to be born with this name :love:

Congrats on the 4 interviews already!!!! :D :luck:

I am a minority planning to apply next year....probably to late to apply for this year considering I have to still take the DAT. What are the minority friendly schools?

I saw this post by this guy who was seeking online study partners for the USMLE and I thought it was a great idea. I know it can get really boring when it seems like it's just you studying and you don't have anyone to bounce ideas off....ask questions...etc...Anyone interested in forming a group to study for the DAT? Do you know someone that might?

;) Sorry but my DAT days are over (THANK YOU CHRIST!!!) You might try hitting up the DAT forum area. Good luck study hard and thoroughly!!

OMFS06 said:
I saw this post by this guy who was seeking online study partners for the USMLE and I thought it was a great idea. I know it can get really boring when it seems like it's just you studying and you don't have anyone to bounce ideas off....ask questions...etc...Anyone interested in forming a group to study for the DAT? Do you know someone that might?

Minority Friendly Schools....That really depends on how you feel while visiting there. If you look strictly at numbers Meharry, Howard and another school in the south (forgive my ignorance) has a nice number of minorities. Most schools only matriculate like 6-8 tops. So I would say pin down your top schools then try to contact their minority/multicultural office to get emails from minority students and see how they feel.
*I noticed when I refer to minority I'm talking about AA. But hispanic also applies.
Hope this helped :)

OMFS06 said:
I am a minority planning to apply next year....probably to late to apply for this year considering I have to still take the DAT. What are the minority friendly schools?

Pardon my ignorance again, but is HSDM Harvard? If so go head then!!! :D
Yeah, you'll have ur work cut out to get it going but it will be worth your work. Im pleased that UMB has a very active SNDA, they have well attended programs often including a Black History program. I plan to join and help out when needed.

bkwash said:

PM

Crest said:
I understand your situation. I went to Xavier in New Orleans before Katrina. Remain positive and when your interviews start rolling in, feel free to explain your situation to the admissions committee. If the schools received your info in November then your not that far behind. I've had three interviews and one acceptance so far and I was also rather behind in applying. Good luck!

Wow this thread just died...anyone who is applying and needs some advice drop me a PM.

so i see we have a spelmanite on the forum... morehouse here! wsup sissstaaaa lol.. anyway i'm glad to see some blacks on these forums, jeez. i started a new black thread cuz i never knew one already existed! haha. i applied to many schools but i'm hoping for cali acceptances!

I've hunted wild game in Africa with my dad, does that count?