African American pre-dentals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
racist? I was just saying I've hunted wild animals in Africa and my dad and I have spent a lot of time there, as well as my family. I think you are being a bit oversensitive...relax, I am all for blacks in dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Most dental schools want more racial diversity. They will accept more black and mexican people as long as the whites are the majority for being accepted. This is sad. Some races have had tougher experiences than others. That needs to be said in the "Special Experiences" essay, not in the designate your race section. Some minorities have lived like kings just as in any other race with personal tutors and what-not. If they have had more opportunities than most non-minorities, they are getting into dental school solely on their race. Very sad. I'm glad they have the special/adverse experiences essay on the essays page, but they should eliminate the what race are you checkbox. Does that really matter? Sorry Jessie Jackson, it doesn't matter what color your skin is. I'm 1/4 native american, but I can't put that on my application since I'm not recognized by the community as being an active member of the tribe.

Clapton said:
Most dental schools want more racial diversity. They will accept more black and mexican people as long as the whites are the majority for being accepted. This is sad. Some races have had tougher experiences than others. That needs to be said in the "Special Experiences" essay, not in the designate your race section. Some minorities have lived like kings just as in any other race with personal tutors and what-not. If they have had more opportunities than most non-minorities, they are getting into dental school solely on their race. Very sad. I'm glad they have the special/adverse experiences essay on the essays page, but they should eliminate the what race are you checkbox. Does that really matter? Sorry Jessie Jackson, it doesn't matter what color your skin is. I'm 1/4 native american, but I can't put that on my application since I'm not recognized by the community as being an active member of the tribe.

I agree. I don't think it should matter if someone is black or white or yellow or brown...or male or female for that matter. The best applicants are the ones that should get in!!!!! If an african american applicant has a 20AA and 20PAT and a caucasian has a 17 AA and 16PAT, then I TOTALLY think the african american should get first priority and if the stats are flipped, then the caucasion should win out. It should be based on numbers and personality --- not skin color at all!!! Just my own personal opinion... Have a super day everyone!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i somewhat agree with you both... i don't like imagining the possibility that i got into a school just because i'm black. on the other hand, some of the experiences blacks go through justify them getting in on the basis of their race... like clapton said, though, it should be along the lines of something in your personal statement or special experiences

I'm not black so I can't comment on what it is like day to day as a black person in America, but I do try and understand the social responsibility the school takes on in trying to generate a diverse student body. What they are doing is ideal and with good intentions but it hurts many in the process.

Well the world will never be perfect and as much as we want things to be different, disparities will still be present. We just have to do our best to ensure future generations are better informed and prepared.

I'm curious if anyone is applying to schools in CA. I would love to go to USC or UCLA, but their stats aren't great. Most of the classes are only about 1-3% African American. Their graduation rates are about the same: 1-2%. I also wonder how hard it would be for a nonresident. Am I the only one, or are there others out there with the same dilemma?

well i'm applying to UCLA and USC also, with my stats not being too great... i'm an in-state resident though. i'm not sure how their out of state acceptances go but you should check out predents.com to get an idea. you said the graduation rate is like 1-2%... lol. do you mean 1-2% DON'T graduate or only 1-2% graduate?

vize said:
well i'm applying to UCLA and USC also, with my stats not being too great... i'm an in-state resident though. i'm not sure how their out of state acceptances go but you should check out predents.com to get an idea. you said the graduation rate is like 1-2%... lol. do you mean 1-2% DON'T graduate or only 1-2% graduate?

I mean only 1-2% of the graduating classes are African American. I know USC is private, so residency wouldn't be an issue. I've read that UCSF has a strong preference to residents.

vize said:
on the other hand, some of the experiences blacks go through justify them getting in on the basis of their race...

That's bull ****...in so many ways and on so many levels.

DMD to Be said:
I agree. I don't think it should matter if someone is black or white or yellow or brown...or male or female for that matter. The best applicants are the ones that should get in!!!!! If an african american applicant has a 20AA and 20PAT and a caucasian has a 17 AA and 16PAT, then I TOTALLY think the african american should get first priority and if the stats are flipped, then the caucasion should win out. It should be based on numbers and personality --- not skin color at all!!! Just my own personal opinion... Have a super day everyone!!! :D

Sometimes the black applicant can have superior scores and credentials and not get in because of racism. Since some of you appear to be living in some sort of bubble, let me say this: RACISM (and discrimination against minority groups) IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE UNITED STATES!! What if members of a selection committee have some pre-existing prejudices against a minority group (black, hispanic, gay/lesbian)? Do you think their applications always get the same consideration as their white/asian, straight counterparts?

I'm still a little puzzled. This is supposed to be a thread for African-American pre-dents to congregate. Why are there so many posts from white pre-dents (I assume some of you are white, judging from some of the ignorant comments) complaining about the usual issue? :confused:

I am an African-American female... two strikes against me already. No matter how much education I have, no matter how much money I have, no matter how many designer suits I have, I will always be "the n-word" to some people. :eek: Until thought processes like that change, STOP COMPLAINING! Sometimes (DEFINITELY NOT ALL THE TIME), it is necessary to admit minority students with lower credentials not only to diversify the program, but to educate students that may otherwise not have a chance at a career in dentistry.

Moving on from that, I'm considering applying to: Michigan, Columbia, NYU, USC, MUSC, Maryland, UPenn, Tufts, and UNC. I'm curious to know where the rest of you are applying to school?

Cablindian said:
Sometimes the black applicant can have superior scores and credentials and not get in because of racism. Since some of you appear to be living in some sort of bubble, let me say this: RACISM (and discrimination against minority groups) IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE UNITED STATES!!

Well boohoo.

Lets all find excuses for not getting accepted.

Cablindian said:
Sometimes the black applicant can have superior scores and credentials and not get in because of racism. Since some of you appear to be living in some sort of bubble, let me say this: RACISM (and discrimination against minority groups) IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE UNITED STATES!! What if members of a selection committee have some pre-existing prejudices against a minority group (black, hispanic, gay/lesbian)? Do you think their applications always get the same consideration as their white/asian, straight counterparts?

I'm still a little puzzled. This is supposed to be a thread for African-American pre-dents to congregate. Why are there so many posts from white pre-dents (I assume some of you are white, judging from some of the ignorant comments) complaining about the usual issue? :confused:

I am an African-American female... two strikes against me already. No matter how much education I have, no matter how much money I have, no matter how many designer suits I have, I will always be "the n-word" to some people. :eek: Until thought processes like that change, STOP COMPLAINING! Sometimes (DEFINITELY NOT ALL THE TIME), it is necessary to admit minority students with lower credentials not only to diversify the program, but to educate students that may otherwise not have a chance at a career in dentistry.

Moving on from that, I'm considering applying to: Michigan, Columbia, NYU, USC, MUSC, Maryland, UPenn, Tufts, and UNC. I'm curious to know where the rest of you are applying to school?

oh come on!!! are you serious? it seems like you're brought up with the thinking that you deserve things automatically because you happen to be black. There might be racist people but i certainly dont think that justifies giving someone a spot if they didnt earn it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Notoriousjae said:
oh come on!!! are you serious? it seems like you're brought up with the thinking that you deserve things automatically because you happen to be black. There might be racist people but i certainly dont think that justifies giving someone a spot if they didnt earn it.

No, I definitely don't feel like I deserve anything because I'm black. I don't rely on handouts and never will. I don't make excuses and "blame the white man" for all my problems. As far as earning a spot in dental school, I will get accepted based on my credentials, not my skin color. The point I was trying to make (which no one seems to comprehend) is the fact that SOME (SHOULD I SPELL SOME???) minorities (not just African Americans) are at a disadvantage when it comes to opportunities. For example, students in DC public schools (predominantly minority students) are at a HUGE disadvantage. Their facilities are deplorable, a significant number of teachers are indifferent and incompetent (a good bit of teachers are not even qualified to teach!), and the curriculum is a joke (I think the 8th grade girl won the DC spelling bee one year for the word "plague"...thats the hardest word they could find). There are really nice schools in the wealthier suburbs (predominantly non-minority) with better curriculums, facilities, and teachers. Okay, here's the question: do you think the minority students, academically, may have a disadvantage over their white counterparts? If they have the potential but didn't have access to the best schools, why should they be punished for that? It really isn't about race. It's really about economic status.

Hello! Are there any other African American pre-dents that can back me up????

I've been following this thread and it started off great, people supporting each other and offering help if someone needs it. I really must second what Cablin said, Why are so many white pre-dents popping in on this post? I'm not a racist person nor do I think people who don't work hard for a chance be given a chance. You have to prove you want it. However, I do believe there are groups of people who are at a disadvantage because of their economic status. I'm not talking about that middle-class black kid from a good neighborhood, with a good education who got bad grades because he was ignorant and was given stuff all his life. I'm talking about that kid from the inner city whose test scores will not get looked at by any college because of the system he was taught in, a system that taught him nothing, that now because of his economic status, he has to pay for it for the rest of his life. He deserves a chance. He worked his butt off in an inferior school system, did the very best he could. He deserves a chance. Thats who we're talking about here.
Why do this keep being an issue epecially in a thread that had nothing to do with this, nor anything to do with white pre-dents, the thread specifically stated African- American, what part of that is easily misunderstood?
I never get involved in racial posts but you people need to stop. You all are trying to get into professional schools, what you need to do first is try and rise above your own ignorances. Making all the money in the world will not make you a good person because you'll still be an ignorant person.
Everyone has their opinions and everyone is entitled to voice those opinions but how about start your own thread and complain about the injustices of black people getting into professional schools, this thread was not the place, those opinions weren't invited to this party.
Start your own, more than likely you'll have over a thousand people ready and willing to pipe in with their comments.

2bdntist2

It's very encouraging to see other AA pre-dents who are like minded. I agree with what's been said on these issues. Just want to encourage everyone to keep the faith. Im taking my DAT in a couple of weeks, so ill let everyone know how things go.
Ps: im trying to get a score that would be good for any race not just a "minority"score

vize said:

USC is a private school, so they don't care whether an applicant is from out-of-state or from in-state.

UCLA, on the other hand, is a state school funded by Californian's tax $$$$. So they HIGHLY prefer California applicants.

I have been a member of these forums for a while now and this happens time and time again. We start a thread and someone who was not addressed in the subject pops their head in the thread claiming to want to get insight into why minorities feel this way, or feel that way, etc. and it turns into some kind of racial debate. When we try to address their questions (which has been useless in most cases), someone always wants to disagree or throw a b*#@*h fit about the answer they got. Most of the things that we talk about are from direct or even indirect experience, simply because of exposure to certain negativities. Fact of the matter is, there are just some things that people who are not part of minorities will never understand. And we constantly try to enlighten people who, at the end of the day, still want to remain closed minded. We can try and try and try, but at some point we have to hang up the coat if they are not receptive. Ignore the nonsense. Leave those with negativity alone and focus on building the comraderie and support you came in this thread to get. Stay up peoples! :)

Hey its been awhile...are than any other AA predents applying for the 2008 cycle on here?

I'm not African American, but I'm Native American. I just sent in my app a few days ago, and I'm taking the DAT July 21st. Here's where I'm applying:
Arizona, Harvard, Ohio State, Michigan, UCLA, UCSF, Louisville, UNLV, UNC, Pacific, and Washington. I might add 1 or 2 more, but I haven't decided. My GPA hasn't been verified but it's a 3.88 on my transcripts and my BCP should be around 3.79.

Where are you applying midwestboy?

shesh, let it rest in peace in my opinion...

Hey i am a Latina :) (Cuban descent)...

This is my second time applying and I am applying to:
Creighton University, Howard University, Indiana University, Loma Linda,
Meharry, NYU, Nova, Southern Illinois University, Temple, Tufts, University of Louisville, UMDNJ, University of Pennsylvania, University of Puerto Rico & University of Southern California...

well nobody asked you...did they?...you don't have to be a part of the
'revival'
-ld
funny thing about opinions, you can give them whenever you like, and each persons is equally valid. Thanks for the reply however :rolleyes:

well nobody asked you...did they?...you don't have to be a part of the
'revival'
-ld

Calm down. What I think rimmies meant was that nobody wants to see another pissing contest about affirmative action. If you want to see one of those, read this thread or do a search, the subject has been beaten to death around here.

yea, i agree everyone's opinion is valid but it also has to serve a point
i could have chimed in and said...i like chocolate...its a valid opinion, but it has nothing to do with the discussion
the point of this thread was pretty specific..people were reaching out to talk to others....your opinion didn't aid to achieving this goal...

also, we all have opinions but have to learn when to be silent ...from your opinion, you are not intersted in the discussion so rather than cuz drama...simply scrolling on could have sufficed..that's the point, i'm trying to make
-ld

Calm down. What I think rimmies meant was that nobody wants to see another pissing contest about affirmative action. If you want to see one of those, read this thread or do a search, the subject has been beaten to death around here.

trust me, I'm perfectly calm...i've read countless threads that turn into a majority vs minority..affirmative action, what not thread....so i know
i also took the time to read the thread from the beginning to see how it was going...it only turned sour with that comment ever since it was brought back.
if this thread turns into one of those aforementioned, then i certainly wouldn't be part of it...simple as that...
basically it boils down to, if you're not interested in the discussion...move on...there's plenty more, here on sdn!
-ld

clickytop was right on my intentions. Why bump up a thread that was so controversial...or in the least filled with a lot of hot air. Just start another.

Columbia, Case, UAB, Loma Linda, Baylor, UCONN

trust me, I'm perfectly calm...i've read countless threads that turn into a majority vs minority..affirmative action, what not thread....so i know
i also took the time to read the thread from the beginning to see how it was going...it only turned sour with that comment ever since it was brought back.
if this thread turns into one of those aforementioned, then i certainly wouldn't be part of it...simple as that...
basically it boils down to, if you're not interested in the discussion...move on...there's plenty more, here on sdn!
-ld

So far all you've done is to tell other posters to leave. If you're so interested in a real discussion, then please start one.

I agree 100%... great post.