After graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkyrx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that will be graduating this year... have you decided what you will be doing after graduation? If you're not doing a residency, have you signed with a company yet?

I'm curious how long most 4th year students wait before making an official job decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Not everyone in my class had an offer in hand one the graduation day. And a few people who accepted an offer just to have one when they walk down the stage regretted it. Take a job if you something you like comes along. There is no hurry, especially if you are willing to move, you can get a job literally any time.

I made my decision 2 months before graduation....and I switched after 2 months of being a pharmacist there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not surprized... I know a few people who gave up hefty sign-ons to leave the job they hated after a month or two. I am the only one of my friends who aren't disappointed in their job and still love it to this day. Oh, I accepted the offer by February 1, but it is a fellowship. Time to look for a real job really soon...

so these companies that people gave up their signing bonuses for..........

what companies were they?

Take a job if you something you like comes along. There is no hurry, especially if you are willing to move, you can get a job literally any time.

I got a pretty nice offer and after mulling it over for a few weeks decided to accept. I feel like it's so early though and I keep wondering if I would have found something better if I had waited a while. Oh well, if I don't like the job I can always do something else, right? :laugh: :thumbup:

Fed up with trying to decide between retail and hospital, I've decided to do both. I accepted a position at an awesome hospital for 24 hours/week (three 8hr shifts rotating between order entry and clinical) with full benefits. And I'll be doing two 12s at a retail joint.

I think it's going to be a nice mix. I'm just hoping I don't have too many problems with scheduling between the two.

Fed up with trying to decide between retail and hospital, I've decided to do both. I accepted a position at an awesome hospital for 24 hours/week (three 8hr shifts rotating between order entry and clinical) with full benefits. And I'll be doing two 12s at a retail joint.

I think it's going to be a nice mix. I'm just hoping I don't have too many problems with scheduling between the two.

I think this is a great idea! I considered doing it too. Hopefully one of your jobs will be pretty flexible. I guess you have to decide who you want to be more loyal to in case of scheduling conflicts.

For most retail, if you are a part-time floater, you have some say over which days you are scheduled for.

Do the two jobs know you are doing this? If so, what was the feedback from them?

so these companies that people gave up their signing bonuses for..........

what companies were they?

One was CVS in Kansas City, another a CVS in Texas, and another was a hospital somewhere out West.

IOh well, if I don't like the job I can always do something else, right? :laugh: :thumbup:

Sure. That's the best thing about being a pharmacist in today's market. :D

For most retail, if you are a part-time floater, you have some say over which days you are scheduled for.

I can only speak to Walgreen's. Yes, I do. I am scheduled every other weekend, which is just perfect, always at the same store half a mile from where I live. When I needed to travel for my full-time job once, I just wrote the scheduler and asked to switch my shifts to another weekend instead, she then called me with the new store and hour assignments. A friend of mine is on a far less regular schedule for her full-time position, so she just gets a list from the scheduler and says I can do this shift and that shift, but not the others. The full-time floaters don't have much say, from what I have heard, but part-time floaters can reject any shift we don't want to work or ask for an extra shift when we do. :)

Do the two jobs know you are doing this? If so, what was the feedback from them?

I had a co-worker who worked both hospital and retail, both places knew it and did not disapprove. For us, in fact, it was nice to call her at the hospital if we needed some weird compounding recipe or couldn't decipher what the doctor wanted when the script came from that hospital.

Ya, they are both aware. I let it be known that the hospital is my primary employer and they will have first say for holidays and such. The hospital's DOP said he has a few pharmacists who do this and the main problem is when the other pharmacy writes the schedule before he does and schedules the person when he needs them. It can also be hard when you have to work an evening at the hospital and then turn around and work in the morning at the retail pharmacy.

I know there are going to be a few obstacles, but I'm willing to make some sacrifices to make it work.

A friend of mine is on a far less regular schedule for her full-time position, so she just gets a list from the scheduler and says I can do this shift and that shift, but not the others. The full-time floaters don't have much say, from what I have heard, but part-time floaters can reject any shift we don't want to work or ask for an extra shift when we do. :)

This is how floating goes at my work too. Part-timers have it made! Most people want to work just over 32 hours so that they can keep benefits at full-time status. I'm tempted to work JUST under 32 hours so I can be part time and have more flexibility. :lol: It would be neat to work somewhere else one day of the week.