after interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! People who have applied in the past told me to send the interviewers thank you cards right after the interviews. Did almost everyone do that? How important is that? What if you don't, would that negatively affect your chance?
=)

Members don't see this ad.

I sent cards and not as a kiss-up thing, but as a common courtesy. I think that you should definitely send them out.

I doubt that not writing a thank you card would negatively affect your status, but it would definitely be a nice gesture. I'd highly suggest it if you have the time. Who knows, one of your interviewers might be a future prof one day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. It's a nice gesture, but seriously, is that really going to make or break you? Probably not. Just let your personality show in your interview. I pretty much winged all 3 of my interviews and did fine. My interview advise: just study the common questions (why dentistry/strengths & weaknesses) and wing the rest. (I mean, how can you prepare for a question like "what kind of car would you be?) The key is to brighten up the room with your personality. Smile a lot and give a firm handshake and you're golden. And wear glasses. I'm 3 for 3 when I ditched my contacts for the glasses. hahaha.

Glasses??? really? How about sunglasses??? j/k. Now I'm nervous, should I look like a studious student or 'laid back'. Make your call. Check out my pic in my profile and let me know if i should crank out the "coke" bottle glasses.

DesiDentist

About the firm handshake... I was thinking about just giving the ADCom a high five or something, you know the whole handshake and hug deal. What do you guys think? Oh yeah, my hands sometimes start to spasm, what if they start shaking before I get to shake their hands? What should I do??

DesiDentist

•••quote:•••Originally posted by DesiDentist:
•Oh yeah, my hands sometimes start to spasm, what if they start shaking before I get to shake their hands? What should I do??

DesiDentist•••••lol. that is the funniest thing i've read on this board (not to make fun of you desi). but seriously, if i had that problem, i would still shake hands to avoid looking sophomoric by offering a high five.

Desidentist :cool: ... i don't mean to dog you man, but somehow i think a spasming handshake my give your interviewing dentists a vision of you with your first real patient in the clinic, practicing under one of the nice real dentists licenses, suddenly spasming while cutting a cavity out of the tooth... accidentaly slicing off the poor partient's tongue. Ouch. Maybe you should work on muscle control? Lots of practice handshakes? A personal handshake trainer? At any rate - good luck! :clap: :clap:

Oh, and just to be on topic, I sent zero thank you cards and got into all the schools i interviewed at... I think it's just a judgement call, though, and depends on whether it a big group interview day (after which you can barely remember which admissions committee member interviewed you) or something smaller and more personal. Jsut so you don't think i'm a heathen, I did completely mean to send thank yous, however I was graduating, finishing my undergrad thesis, and life was crazy this fall/winter *sigh* I'm happy to have made it though alive