AFter seeing all of yall's stats, im worried... is this enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Say_Cheese

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all, and good luck for everyone applying for the 2005 cycle. after reading all of your posts, i am beginign to get worried myself. i know that applying early is a plus, but i plan to apply this may as soon as aadsas opens for the 2006 cycle.
do you think these stats are ok for an acceptance to either NOVA, UF, BU,, TUFTS, or Columbia?
Overall 3.4
Sci: 3.14
DAT AA 20, PAT: 19
all the extracirrcs.... and a research publication.

PS im a UF undergrad currently.

Members don't see this ad.

Say_Cheese said:
Hello to all, and good luck for everyone applying for the 2005 cycle. after reading all of your posts, i am beginign to get worried myself. i know that applying early is a plus, but i plan to apply this may as soon as aadsas opens for the 2006 cycle.
do you think these stats are ok for an acceptance to either NOVA, UF, BU,, TUFTS, or Columbia?
Overall 3.4

Those stats look pretty good to me. Have you done any shadowing? That helps too. Also don't forget to get yours letters in early and complete your secondaries early.

xxdakinexx said:
Those stats look pretty good to me. Have you done any shadowing? That helps too. Also don't forget to get yours letters in early and complete your secondaries early.

yea.. ive shadowed and i've also been a dental assistant for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Cheese,
I too am an undergrad here at UF...fun stuff as a biochem major. What major are you? Currently taking organic with Scriven and loving it, hes a pretty cool organic professor...as for your stats, they look pretty good I'd say. I volunteer at Shands and am starting private practice volunteering this December. Where did you volunteer at? Currently I'm in Marston studying my butt off, but take time out for SDN every so often (like every hour) :laugh: . UF is hard to get into as far as dental goes, its on my list but def not my top school...Nova is much easier I hear. Try to make an appointment with Dr.Sposetti, get your face noticed, how did you begin doing research...I wanna do some. Thanks!

Say_Cheese said:
Overall 3.4

IIRC UF is really tough on DAT scores. If you aren't like 20+ in every section they will ask what happened :eek:

For all you UFers who don't know, UF is being a biotch this year. Of the 80 seats in the class for 2009, 17 of them are already taken up by the 7 year ppl (3 yr undergrad then 4th yr automatically 1st yr dental at UF). How fair is that? In the past, it's been like 5-7 students, but 17??? It sucks to compete for 63 seats instead of 80...

sorry, had to vent

Say_Cheese said:
Hello to all...

You have good stats and you shouldn't be worried about them. A crucial element of your application will be to get that thing out as soon as you can. If you can do that than I think you will have smooth sailing ahead. Best of luck!

Sprgrover said:
You have good stats and you shouldn't be worried about them. A crucial element of your application will be to get that thing out as soon as you can. If you can do that than I think you will have smooth sailing ahead. Best of luck!

Yah... but hasnt like NOVA's gpa requirements gone up to like 3.4 sci or sumthin... id like to stay in florida. we'll see ill def apply early as possible first couple days aadsas opens

say cheese, come on man! I don't post neg. threads but I think that it is warranted. Postings like yours are the reason that sdn'ers get a bad rep man!! 20 on the DAT, 4 YEARS of dental assisting, research exp. etc, etc, etc,. I realize that everyone is nervous but you've got to be kidding me. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

DrTacoElf said:
Honestly "I" am unsure. However another SDNer mentioned it looked like #30 and I could definitely agree with that :D.

Yup, definitely a 30!!!

To the OP: the admissions game is crazy, and nothing is for sure.

For example, take a fellow SDNer and his story:

He applied in August to multiple schools, including some that are supposedly easy to get into: BU, NYU, etc.

His GPA: 3.0
His DAT score: 21

Number of INTERVIEWS: Zero. Not a single one, and this guy applied in August!

ItsGavinC said:
To the OP: the admissions game is crazy, and nothing is for sure.

For example, take a fellow SDNer and his story:

He applied in August to multiple schools, including some that are supposedly easy to get into: BU, NYU, etc.

His GPA: 3.0
His DAT score: 21

Number of INTERVIEWS: Zero. Not a single one, and this guy applied in August!

Gavin, I do agree that admissions is quite competitive. You also can't ignore that there are lurking variables in all applications. This person may have a black mark on their application that is precluding them from getting interviews.

does anyone know how many people are outright rejected from UF and what proportion are asked to complete a secondary application? I'm just curious as to whether it will be worth it to finish the secondary, etc. or whether they send them out to just about everyone. Thanks!

guess i'm prematurely following this forum and obssessing over every new thread, as i'm applying this spring for next cycle. but congrats to all the dec 1 happy folk, and good luck to those still awaiting word.

i'd just like some feedback on my status and what not, specially w/ my closet full of low gpa skeletons. i graduated from upenn w/ a bioengineering degree in 01 and consider myself a completely different person from then, as i have a dramatic upward trend and have done well post-graduation. i've been taking some pre reqs outside of my full time work as an engineer the past coupla years. i plan on taking ochem 2 next semester (as a retake) as well, but should i quit work and take more classes to boost up the ol' sub-3er? i think my aadsas gpa will be calculated as 2.89 overall, 2.85 science. awesome huh. shadowed a dentist. took my dat's this oct and the verdict was
AA 22
TS 21
Bio 20
GChem 23
OChem 22
QR 25
RC 22
PAT 17

i know i got my work cut out for me but any additional advice? thanks much.

netsn06 said:
guess i'm prematurely following this forum and obssessing over every new thread, as i'm applying this spring for next cycle. but congrats to all the dec 1 happy folk, and good luck to those still awaiting word.

i'd just like some feedback on my status and what not, specially w/ my closet full of low gpa skeletons. i graduated from upenn w/ a bioengineering degree in 01 and consider myself a completely different person from then, as i have a dramatic upward trend and have done well post-graduation. i've been taking some pre reqs outside of my full time work as an engineer the past coupla years. i plan on taking ochem 2 next semester (as a retake) as well, but should i quit work and take more classes to boost up the ol' sub-3er? i think my aadsas gpa will be calculated as 2.89 overall, 2.85 science. awesome huh. shadowed a dentist. took my dat's this oct and the verdict was
AA 22
TS 21
Bio 20
GChem 23
OChem 22
QR 25
RC 22
PAT 17

Check out the "under 3.0 gpa" forum. It has a wealth of information and good advice. good luck

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=28491

To netsn06

While your GPA may not be the highest, you have excellent DAT scores and I really think they will work STRONGLY in your favor. After all like it or not DAT supposedly measures how good of a dentist you will be. I don't agree but I know at UF DAT is important. I have some friends with 3.0 and DATs over 20 and got that phone call dec 1. Plus since you are non traditional that is DEFINATELY taken into consideration and honestly I think they like to see people who are working in one career decide to make a change later in life and go the dental root. If nothing else it shows you are dedicated and willing to work toward a goal. Just my two cents. According to the 22 in Ochem I would not quit my job to take more classes. I think the job is going to work in your favor. They definately understand people who need to work to support either themselves or their family. My girlfriend is in that boat with the medical school.

netsn06 said:

AA 22
TS 21
Bio 20
GChem 23
OChem 22
QR 25
RC 22
PAT 17

Your DATs are awesome! Your GPA could definitely use some help. I would talk to some of the schools you are applying to and see what they think. I think you really need to show the schools you are serious about dentistry, so that you are able to stand out from the rest of the applicants. Showing them you are serious could mean quitting work, going back to school for a year and doing very well in all your classes. This is just my oppinion though..

Best of luck to you
DMD_hoepful

My stats weren't that great and I still got accepted by 2 schools so far. Don't give up!

ha.. good lookin out guys. as cynical as i was about all the positive energy on this thing, i can surprisingly say that all feedback, regardless of the type, definitely boosts the confidence.

thanks all for the advice...for sure i am not quitting. and for sure will keep following this cycle's soap opera of a process. maybe some of you will be answering my questions this spring.