afternoon energy slump

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandiego1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone has tips for increasing energy in the afternoon. I get a good amount of sleep, eat well and exercise a few days a week but almost everyday around 2/3 in the afternoon I crash. I try to avoid coffee in the afternoon because it can affect my sleep at night, and I've been hesitant to exercise in the afternoon because I worry it'll make me more tired (but I realize that might be what I need to try). Anyway, I'd really appreciate any tips

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't drink any coffee during my first 2 years and have done very well in my classes. The key is to not lose sleep. I sleep 8 hours a day no matter what. Period. I get those steady 8 hours at night, and I don't feel like **** during the day. Besides that, make sure you're eating (reasonably) ok. 3 meals a day, decent food. There's probably a reason why we pass out after eating 4 jets pizzas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Caffeine is the only way I get through. I don't have the discipline to regimen my day properly 100% of the time.

The only regimen I use is sleeping 8 hours regardless of what I need to do or anything. Honestly I feel more awake without it lol. I used to drink a lot. Once I got addicted and went through some withdrawal a few times I was just like ok **** that lol

I get tired like that all the time. I just spend an hour or so messing around on the internet before I get back to business.

In my lectures on sleep, they said that a dip in the afternoon is totally normal. I try to take a nap when I can, like 20-30 minutes, in one of the libraries nearby. Afterwards I feel awesome, and I don't need as much sleep at night.

Reactions: 1 user
Sleep 7h a night + caffeine in amounts that can cautiously be described as "dangerous."

I lay down on the floor for 10 or so minutes if I get that fatigue that comes out of nowhere. It's comfortable enough for me to dose for a really short time, but not so uncomfortable that I stay down there for too long. It's just enough to clear the sleepies from my system! Also drinking tons and tons of water helps (even if it only means having to pee every 20 minutes haha).

Hey, just wondering if anyone has tips for increasing energy in the afternoon. I get a good amount of sleep, eat well and exercise a few days a week but almost everyday around 2/3 in the afternoon I crash. I try to avoid coffee in the afternoon because it can affect my sleep at night, and I've been hesitant to exercise in the afternoon because I worry it'll make me more tired (but I realize that might be what I need to try). Anyway, I'd really appreciate any tips

We sound pretty similar. I exercise five days a week from 6:00a to 7:30a, just before class starts. I get decent sleep and also avoid afternoon caffeine for the same reason.

I start out the week kinda ok but run out of energy to focus generally towards friday. Ultimately what worked for me--kind of, anyway-- was setting an alarm for a 1 hour right after class gets out for a power nap.

In my lectures on sleep, they said that a dip in the afternoon is totally normal. I try to take a nap when I can, like 20-30 minutes, in one of the libraries nearby. Afterwards I feel awesome, and I don't need as much sleep at night.

This. 20 minute powernap is key. A 20 minute powernap in the afternoon cuts out the need for about 90 minutes of sleep at night (for me, anyway).

Yea I really feel we should build naps into our American culture. Like give 30 min breaks in the afternoon for office workers along with a comfortable area to do so. I have friends that take a nap in the bathroom or car at work to avoid getting in trouble. Don't other countries like Spain shut down all businesses in the afternoon and let people rest up a bit? People in the med field should start this movement. Its good physically and mentally as well!

Take a break, take a nap, go surf the Internet, go get a soda/coffee, grab a snack to munch (I'm never tired while eating chips/Cheetos), turn up the music, walk while studying, etc.

You need to do something different for a bit, to clear your head. Then hit it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I take a 20 minute powernap and enjoy coffee afterwards. Good coffee only.

I am definitely going to give up caffeine this summer. I am drinking an inordinate amount of it lately.

I am definitely going to give up caffeine this summer. I am drinking an inordinate amount of it lately.

Haha good luck breaking those chains.

No one's mentioned crack? This forum is getting lazy :mad:

Suicide sprints. Back to fully alert in <5 mins.

Cocaine may be what you are looking for... Im kidding

Nap + coffee is the best combo possible. In honor of all you caffeine addicts, I give you Black Flag:

http://youtu.be/c4u62e5WYQo

I shudder at the thought of the financial wherewithal necessary to sustain such a habit

Do you not watch breaking bad, noob?

How you think we got so many "research experiences"?

20 minute powernap if possible (ONLY 20 mins) if not then rip off 20 pushups.

Survivor DO

Anyone here drink tea (black) over coffee?

During step 1 studying I went to work out when I hit a lull every day. Otherwise the coffee power nap is key. drink coffee 20 minute nap and it all kicks in at once.

Take a break, take a nap, go surf the Internet, go get a soda/coffee, grab a snack to munch (I'm never tired while eating chips/Cheetos), turn up the music, walk while studying, etc.

You need to do something different for a bit, to clear your head. Then hit it again.

I agree. First year I'd always try to study immediately after classes/exams and immediately pass out on my books. I stopped doing that when I'd force myself to sit on my couch and take a nap for 20-30 minutes. It made a world of a difference.

I also took 20-30 minutes to get in my car and drive. I'd purposefully get lost in the backroads because it cheered me up. Texting a classmate a picture of myself crossing the Indiana boarder to Kentucky in a backroad provided some comical relief.