Age-related macular degeneration

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sco1styear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up...
One of our professors today was talking about how the best way right now to approach Age-Related Macular Degeneration was for patients to take at least 6mg of lutein. But, most patients buy multi-vitamins and see that they have ~250micro grams...what they do not realize is the difference between micro and milli grams and that the micro grams is such a small amount that it is virtually useless to their ocular health. Well, my dad has AMD and every so often I have asked him if he is still taking his vitamins. He has been telling me that his multivitamin has more in it then the ones his optometrist gave him...and you guessed it...he was taking 250 micro grams. I thought it was some useful info that I might pass along in case any of you run across anyone in the same situation.

Members don't see this ad.

i hear Ocuvite Preservision (blue label) has been clinically proven in the AREDS study by the NIH to slow the progression of ARMD. also, it doesn't hurt to add in dark, green leafy vegetables (ie spinach) in the diet. and, there's been studies showing omega-3-fatty acids is good too. Just FYI....

JG777 said:
i hear Ocuvite Preservision (blue label) has been clinically proven in the AREDS study by the NIH to slow the progression of ARMD. also, it doesn't hurt to add in dark, green leafy vegetables (ie spinach) in the diet. and, there's been studies showing omega-3-fatty acids is good too. Just FYI....

The AREDS study did test a formulation that slowed the progression of AMD, but lutein was not yet known to help AMD, it came about after the study was completed. Lutein has been shown to actually be more effective. So, that's why it is important for patients to take lutein.