This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkasu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is starting dental school at the age of 24 or 25 too old?

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of people start at that age. if you look at university websites, their avg age is always around a 24 or 25. some people start even later.

nah, that is the perfect age. But your question made me feel sooooo old!

I have a friend that started medical school at age 29! And he was not even the oldest in his class. Most of the ppl in graduate schools are little bit older, and already married, some even with kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
If 24 is old, I better bring a cane to class. You crazy kids.

Sorry, didn't want to make you feel old. Just wondering about the age of dental students.

:) it is cool.... I was suprised too myself to find out that I will actually be young at age 24 in D school!

25 here, 26 when I start school. I have already started stockpiling the Depends. :oops:

Have you been accepted?

lifeisgood, i like your sarcasm ... good stuff

yeah, me too. I always wonder what is my backkup plan if this fails.......... can't think that way. I must get in!

that's ridiculous, dont be silly.

...but on the other hand, we have a 53 y/o in my class. now that's too old!

So 24 y/o and 25 y/o are not out of place during D1?

Members don't see this ad :)
OBVIOUSLY, I am kidding.

sounds good to me

Sure hope it's not too old. I'll turn 28 in my first semester. I've found lots like me heading toward dental school, in dental school, graduating from dental school....better watch out...us old folks are everywhere....

ah...I feel like a grandma :)
24-26 is a good age, kiddo!:D

This is a ridiculous thread. I'd rather see a thread congratulating Armor on his 1000th post. At least thats funny...

I probabally have t shirts older than most on here. i hope 25 is not too old i will be 34 if i get in for the fall 07. I may not sprint any more but i have the endurance.....;)
Good luck to all nubs and oldies :D

In some schools that the average age of the incoming class. No way 24-25 is too old. Just the right age.

You people crack me up.......thinking your old in your 20's and thirties! I'm 41 and thinking about doing it and I dont feel old. You only live once!

I hope not. I will have just turned 25 by the time it starts.

For all of those who have been out of school for a few years or are just taking a couple pre-reqs, how did you go about studying for pre-reqs that you haven't had for awhile?

Hmmm.. this is good, very good. I was afraid I'd have to share classes with snotty 20 years olds who thinks they are better than me because they figured out they want to be a dentist sooner.

good indeed.

i will be 23 when entering D school...well, that is if i get accepted this year. i don't think you are too old.

Hmmm.. this is good, very good. I was afraid I'd have to share classes with snotty 20 years olds who thinks they are better than me because they figured out they want to be a dentist sooner.

good indeed.

I believe you find some people like that in almost all schools. However, I tend to believe that it's worse in medical schools.

Nice avatar, White Tiger. It reminds me of the cover of bio textbook I had long, long time time ago (boy, am I old:D )

I'm 26 now and will starting at 28!!! Give me a break guys!!! I won't be a dentist until the age of 32!!!

And I have two little girls!!!

I'm 26 now and will starting at 28!!! Give me a break guys!!! I won't be a dentist until the age of 32!!!

And I have two little girls!!!

How old are your girls?

hopefully if i get in, i'll be 22 when i start in the fall... 21 now. are MOST D1 students in their early 20s? like 21, 22, 23..?

How old are your girls?

They're 5 and 6. I'm not with their mom anymore, but they're the ones that keep my drive going!! I'll be a dentist with 2 kids and an ex-. Not too many women want a husband like that... regardless if he's a dentist.

They're 5 and 6. I'm not with their mom anymore, but they're the ones that keep my drive going!! I'll be a dentist with 2 kids and an ex-. Not too many women want a husband like that... regardless if he's a dentist.

Well, at least you'll be a dentist. Most people your age in your situation fall through the cracks. I'm sure you'll find someone during/after dental school. You seem like a pretty intelligent person.

You people crack me up.......thinking your old in your 20's and thirties! I'm 41 and thinking about doing it and I dont feel old. You only live once!

That's what I'm talkin' about! I am going to run Chicago Marathon '07...work on taking pre-dent sci classes (again...last time I took Bio 101 some of you were babies)...take a trip to Disneyland with my 3 girls...spend a week in Hawaii with my amazing husband...all for my 40th birthday this year. For my 41st I am applying to Dschool.

...but maybe I am just too old for all that. I should just pull up the old rocker and rock away the time...:sleep:

Women want a husband who is devoted, loving, funny, attentive, self-sufficient, responsible, funny, smart, secure, spiritually grounded, can cook (at least grill), knows more about the car than they do, is handy, is a manly man, gentle, funny, employed, loves to hunt, fish, hike, snow ski, mountain bike, is creative...oh, wait, that's my husband.

We met when I was a single mom, in college with a 20 month old daughter...the first five minutes we met I told him I have a beautiful little girl and along with my precious daughter, my relationship with God is top priority and I won't be giving him my phone number tonight so don't bother asking. We have 2 more daughters and have been happily married twelve years.

When the time is right :love: ...which if you are serious about dschool--will be later than sooner....the right person will come along...until then focus on being the right person.

Best to you!!!:)

i'll be 24. not to piss anyone off but i feel old at 23.

Women want a husband who is devoted, loving, funny, attentive, self-sufficient, responsible, funny, smart, secure, spiritually grounded, can cook (at least grill), knows more about the car than they do, is handy, is a manly man, gentle, funny, employed, loves to hunt, fish, hike, snow ski, mountain bike, is creative...oh, wait, that's my husband.

We met when I was a single mom, in college with a 20 month old daughter...the first five minutes we met I told him I have a beautiful little girl and along with my precious daughter, my relationship with God is top priority and I won't be giving him my phone number tonight so don't bother asking. We have 2 more daughters and have been happily married twelve years.

When the time is right :love: ...which if you are serious about dschool--will be later than sooner....the right person will come along...until then focus on being the right person.

Best to you!!!:)

happy to hear =)

Thanks!

It's okay to feel "old" if you truly feel like that...it's just a long journey...that's all. As I get older it is really true age is an attitude.

My grandma was a great example of aging well...she died a few years ago (92 years old) and was a beautiful inspiration...I want to age just like her. She was a peaceful, kind person...never had a bad thing to say to or about anyone and whenever misfortune/disappointment came her way she just rolled right on through it...she grew up in the Depression, so that says a lot.

Check out adea's average age of enrollees on page 31-32 of guidebook. (2006 enrollees)

Most schools have an average age of 24 and some as high as 28 (UNLV).

I'll be 37 when I start dental school. Thanks guys...