AHHH! I'm freaking out! I wanna be a Doctor's Assisstant SO BAD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saifuwa1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOL. Sorry, I just needed a catchy thread title to catch people's attention in answering my question. Okay, so I'm 19 years old, currently just starting my sophomore year at a university... I'm taking Biology II, Organic Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry Lab I, and Physics I (algebra-based). I have a 4.02 GPA ... so far. lol.

What the hell do i need to do in order to make sure I get into P.A school? I wanna start early and get all the information I need NOW, so I can be prepared. I'm in the biology club, premedical minority club where I also do community service every month, and I volunteer at the local hospital, 3 hours a week. What else do I need to do to stand out?!

I hear "clinical health experience" is a biggie for an application. Does a Certified Nursing Assistant sound okay? I hear people as young as 16 years old can start being CNAs... interesting, so instead of working at Nordstrom, I can just ditch that job, and be a CNA and get paid instead?

1. How many hours do I need?
2. What are some good PA programs out there?
3. Do you think it's possible for me to work and get all the clinical healthcare experience I can get DURING college, so by the time I've graduated, I can just go straight into P.A. school? I seriously want a career as fast as possible! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Number one: do not EVER use the term "doctor's assistant" EVER AGAIN.
Maybe, if you remedy this glaring error, we *might* forgive you long enough to answer your questions.

LOL. Sorry, I just needed a catchy thread title to catch people's attention in answering my question. Okay, so I'm 19 years old, currently just starting my sophomore year at a university... I'm taking Biology II, Organic Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry Lab I, and Physics I (algebra-based). I have a 4.02 GPA ... so far. lol.

What the hell do i need to do in order to make sure I get into P.A school? I wanna start early and get all the information I need NOW, so I can be prepared. I'm in the biology club, premedical minority club where I also do community service every month, and I volunteer at the local hospital, 3 hours a week. What else do I need to do to stand out?!

I hear "clinical health experience" is a biggie for an application. Does a Certified Nursing Assistant sound okay? I hear people as young as 16 years old can start being CNAs... interesting, so instead of working at Nordstrom, I can just ditch that job, and be a CNA and get paid instead?

3. Do you think it's possible for me to work and get all the clinical healthcare experience I can get DURING college, so by the time I've graduated, I can just go straight into P.A. school? I seriously want a career as fast as possible! :D

I agree with the previous poster. Your title is insulting and shows your ignorance to the profession you want to join. Also I am questioning your maturity from reading this post???(intelligence does not equal maturity btw.)

I will answer your question after you answer mine- Why do you want to be a PA? If it is due to it being a shorter route and you don't have some extenuating circumstances(family to support, health etc...) then I would say go to medical school and save the seat in PA school for one of the older applicants that is fighting for the same seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an NP, so I wasn't as much insulted by the thread title as I was confused. I thought the author was saying they wanted to be a MA, and I was thinking "why?"

But I agree, if one wants to join a profession one should at least know what it properly called, lol. I don't know a great deal about getting into PA school, but I do know if you say "Doctor's Assistant" in your essay or at the interview, you won't have a snowball's chance in hell.

From my limited experience in talking with my PA colleagues, it seems to me most of them were nurses, EMTs or paramedics. I don't think I have met one that worked solely as a CNA. I don't know if that low a level of experience would be sufficient "patient care experience" or not. It wouldn't impress me if I were on the admissions committee, but again, I'm not a PA so my opinion is not well informed.

"Also I am questioning your maturity from reading this post???"

NUMBER #1: To answer your question, I want to be a "Physician Assistant" for the same reasons why someone else would want to be a general Doctor as far as helping people is concerned. Except, I see myself as a helper or an aide, like a typical assistant. Rather than the leader or the big-decision maker. I would enjoy working closely with the doctor, that's why I chose this career.

NUMBER #2: There's no need to call someone "immature" just because they might have mistakenly used the wrong word... if they make a mistake or an error, just politely correct them and EXPLAIN why. Don't make them feel stupid or "immature" about it. Geez. Also, what is it in my post that concerns you about my maturity? Is it because I use the words, "LOL"?

NUMBER #3: What's so "insulting" about the term, "Doctor's Assistant"? Physician is a doctor... correct? So P.A. or "Physician Assistant" is the same thing as "Doctor Assistant"... that's how I read it. Politely, correct me if I'm wrong. I actually use the words, "Physician Assistant" and "Doctor Assistant" interchangeably. I know what the profession is about, thank you.

You have much to learn young one. Read every thread on is board regarding PAs (you have the time) and THEN ask questions of what you don't understand.

"When you can snatch the pea out of my hand it will be time for you to leave, Grasshopper."

"Also I am questioning your maturity from reading this post???"

NUMBER #1: To answer your question, I want to be a "Physician Assistant" for the same reasons why someone else would want to be a general Doctor as far as helping people is concerned. Except, I see myself as a helper or an aide, like a typical assistant. Rather than the leader or the big-decision maker. I would enjoy working closely with the doctor, that's why I chose this career.
That is what your missing PAs are not helpers or aides we see our patients and carry Our own licenses. So when I choose to intubate with no doc around and I have to make that very decision alone in some cases am I still not a leader or life changing decision maker?

NUMBER #2: There's no need to call someone "immature" just because they might have mistakenly used the wrong word... if they make a mistake or an error, just politely correct them and EXPLAIN why. Don't make them feel stupid or "immature" about it. Geez. Also, what is it in my post that concerns you about my maturity? Is it because I use the words, "LOL"?
Your lol has nothing to do with why I made the comment. Look at the title of your thread as well as the overall tone. Your speaking to a group of professionals and your very young so it seems like your post would have been well thought out and would have made us want to help. Instead you are doing a good job of not helping your case.

NUMBER #3: What's so "insulting" about the term, "Doctor's Assistant"? Physician is a doctor... correct? So P.A. or "Physician Assistant" is the same thing as "Doctor Assistant"... that's how I read it. Politely, correct me if I'm wrong. I actually use the words, "Physician Assistant" and "Doctor Assistant" interchangeably. I know what the profession is about, thank you.

Those two words are not interchangable. A medical assistant would be more akin to what you are describing. Also your tone again reveals immaturity. Furthermore as someone that has been a Physician Assistant for quite a while I am imploring you to study more about the profession and ask those questions in a better thought out manner.

PS- I am not trying to be a jerk but if you EVER came to a PA school interview saying Doctors Assistant I would bet you a boatload of cash your file would be stamped do not recommend for acceptance into the program.
I know your only 19yo but you will be eligible to apply to some Programs soon

I'm still baffled by the concerns you have on my maturity..... What is wrong and "immature" about my tone? EXPLAIN. I go on message boards and forums, many people write and communicate in the same manner as I do. What's wrong with the way I write? Apparently, I'm the young one who has "so much to learning to do" so, so correct me.

No more "Doctor's Assistant" or "Medical assistant". I want to be a PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT.

I go on many websites and the information varies, so that's why I'm asking other people's thoughts and opinions on these questions:

Does a Certified Nursing Assistant sound okay? I hear people as young as 16 years old can start being CNAs... interesting, so instead of working at Nordstrom, I can just ditch that job, and be a CNA and get paid instead?

1. GENERALLY, what are some good PA programs out there?
2. How many hours of clinical health care experience should I get in order to stand out?
3. Do you think it's possible for me to work and get all the clinical healthcare experience I can get DURING college, so by the time I've graduated, I can just go straight into P.A. school?

I'm still baffled by the concerns you have on my maturity..... What is wrong and "immature" about my tone? EXPLAIN. I go on message boards and forums, many people write and communicate in the same manner as I do. What's wrong with the way I write? Apparently, I'm the young one who has "so much to learning to do" so, so correct me.

No more "Doctor's Assistant" or "Medical assistant". I want to be a PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT.

I go on many websites and the information varies, so that's why I'm asking other people's thoughts and opinions on these questions:

Does a Certified Nursing Assistant sound okay? I hear people as young as 16 years old can start being CNAs... interesting, so instead of working at Nordstrom, I can just ditch that job, and be a CNA and get paid instead?

1. GENERALLY, what are some good PA programs out there?
2. How many hours of clinical health care experience should I get in order to stand out?
3. Do you think it's possible for me to work and get all the clinical healthcare experience I can get DURING college, so by the time I've graduated, I can just go straight into P.A. school?

1.) The title of your original post
2.)The what the hell I have to do to become a PA Comment.
3.)I can just ditch my job at nordstrom
Those are just a few examples of what I mean by maturity

Your questions:
1.)It is a hard question and according to what part of the country your in you might see regional bias
2.)some healthcare hour requirements are school dependent with a minimum number of hrs while others are vague and say experience required
3.)It is possible to do that if you can keep your grades up. Some schools consider cna experience as healthcare as exposure while others like rts EMTs etc....

I'm still baffled by the concerns you have on my maturity..... What is wrong and "immature" about my tone? EXPLAIN".

Okay, I'll explain.

Your unwillingness to do some very simple internet searching for these answers show that you lack patience. A simple google search of "physician assistant profession" will bring you to the "American Academy of Physician Assistants". That might be a good place to start your research on this profession and will link to sites which answer all of your questions. You claim to have a "4.02 gpa", so I assume you have the ability to do this basic research, but since you come here and ask us I will assume that you are just too lazy to do it and want us to spoon-feed it to you.

Secondly, you seem to be stuck in the adolescent stage where you solidly believe the world revolves around you. You come on here, a discussion board geared toward professionals, and want us to drop everything we are doing to school you on very basic subjects. A perfect example of your demanding, self-centered attitude is how you capitalized "EXPLAIN"....demanding we take our time to help YOU as if you are somehow entitled to our time. Guess what....you're not. Those of us who are posting here are not doing it because you are entitled to anything, we are doing it because we are called to help people (including you). And another example of your immature, self-centeredness is how despite three or four professionals (I'm not sure if Zenman counts here :laugh: ) have spent their time helping you, you have not shown an ounce of appreciation. Again, this comes across as if you expect everyone to drop everything and help YOU, because YOU are the incredibly important center of the universe.

Third, your inappropriate use of language. "What the hell do I need to do".... Perhaps in your "all about me, all about right now" life such language is normal, but professionals generally either NEVER use this type of language, or reserve it for very select times. Trust me, I can curse like a sailor (because I was/am one :D), and can probably do it loud enough to make you wet your pants, but it is inappropriate to use such language in a professional (or semi-professional) environment.

Is this enough of an explaination? I hope so. Not trying to hurt your sensitivities, just trying to bring you to the real world (which you are NOT the center of).

My advice:
1. Follow primadonna's advice - start reading. Do your own research to your questions. If you have looked and looked and looked, and you don't know where else to look, then come here and ask where to look.
2. Don't ever follow Zenman's advice. Ever.
3. Be humble. Be thankful for the gifts that God and your parents have given you, but realize that you are a very, very small pawn in the game and you are not entitled to anything.
4. Be thankful to anyone who has, has tried, or may try to help you. Say thanks!
5. Try for medical school. If you can't get into medical school, then try PA.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Boatswain. I just didn't have the patience to lay it out for the OP as you did.

Information varies from person to person, site to site... I wanted a simple, clear-cut answer to tackle all the contrasting information. One person says it's "extremely competitive", another says "it's not", one person says "most schools want a lot of HCE in 3,000-4,000 hour range" while other say "at least 1,000 hours is pretty good for most schools" etc. You tell me to "If you have looked and looked and looked, and you don't know where else to look, then come here and ask where to look. " That's why I'm here, for the reasons stated above.

I capitalized the word "EXPLAIN" simply because people were constantly telling me what I was doing wrong and nobody cared to give me the reason why, even though I asked over and over again. You don't give someone an answer and not give any reasons to support it. Again, this was before they finally answered (some) of my questions, not necessarily in the way that I hoped for. And no, I wasn't being self-centered, and I'm not some over-the-top, crazy spoiled brat that you're obviously trying to make me look like. I'm an ordinary 19-year-old who talks no differently than other people. Quit exaggerating. Then and tell me, "you're a brat because you haven't even said "Thank you" That's because, besides, Makati2008, no one answered my question. All the told me was: "don't ever use the word "Doctor's Assistant!" that's it. None of my questions were answered. Or, "You're immature!"
.....And then you're puzzled on why I haven't said "Thank you"

You're the one being sensitive by reading my comments the wrong way (and others), and also by the word, *gasp* "hell". This an online message board or a forum. Why so sensitive? I don't know what kind of world you live in, but I've seen and heard numerous professionals use curse words in public settings... also "in a professional (or semi-professional) environment" It depends on who you're speaking to. I assumed that since this is an online message board, it's okay to talk in a typical laid-back, conversational language. I APOLOGIZE and I'm sorry if I deeply offended anyone.

Some of my questions were opinion-based, not something that you can easily research. I wanted to get a gist of what some people thought.
For instance, leaving my job at Nordstrom, and become a CNA instead, knowing that that job is more related to my career since it's surrounded by health care experience. Makati2008 said this was "immature" and never explained why.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANKS!<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The answer varies because it is different for every institution. Some are require lots of HCE, some don't care if you have any, some require lots of shadowing, some require ochem, ect. CNA will work for some schools, but a RN/EMT/RT is more of a sure thing. 500 hours may get you by at some schools, but >2000 will look very good to most places.

I honestly don't think you understand the profession because you said PAs were aides and used the 's showing possession. I do not aide/assist anyone as I am a provider. I don't fetch coffee, hand things to a doc during a procedure (except when I first assisted in school), or do someone's scut work. I am a provider that does not do anything differently than the physician who reviews 10% of my charts long after the fact. I most certainly do not belong to anyone.

Secondly, you seem immature (at least unwise) to me because instead of just apologizing and getting the answers you want, you choose to argue and eliminate the chances of getting the answers you seek.

Information varies from person to person, site to site... I wanted a simple, clear-cut answer to tackle all the contrasting information. One person says it's "extremely competitive", another says "it's not", one person says "most schools want a lot of HCE in 3,000-4,000 hour range" while other say "at least 1,000 hours is pretty good for most schools" etc. You tell me to "If you have looked and looked and looked, and you don't know where else to look, then come here and ask where to look. " That's why I'm here, for the reasons stated above.

No, the data does not vary, but opinions do. That is why when you are looking for factual information, go to the original sources. Go to the individual PA program web-sites, they will tell you how many hours you will need. This should be a basic, intuitive first step for anyone looking at becoming a PA. It is obvious you didn't do this and, instead, are looking for spoon-fed answers (ie: we provide the Cliff notes for you).

I capitalized the word "EXPLAIN" simply because people were constantly telling me what I was doing wrong and nobody cared to give me the reason why, even though I asked over and over again. You don't give someone an answer and not give any reasons to support it. Again, this was before they finally answered (some) of my questions, not necessarily in the way that I hoped for. And no, I wasn't being self-centered, and I'm not some over-the-top, crazy spoiled brat that you're obviously trying to make me look like. I'm an ordinary 19-year-old who talks no differently than other people. Quit exaggerating. Then and tell me, "you're a brat because you haven't even said "Thank you" That's because, besides, Makati2008, no one answered my question. All the told me was: "don't ever use the word "Doctor's Assistant!" that's it. None of my questions were answered. Or, "You're immature!"
.....And then you're puzzled on why I haven't said "Thank you"

You asked over and over, and it's been explained to you. Whether you want to take that advice or not is up to you.

I wasn't trying to make you look like "some over-the-top, crazy spoiled brat"....you did that by yourself. Now, if you want to prevent yourself from doing that again in the future, re-read advice that has been given you.

A "Thank you" in advance for people's time will get you a long way.

You're the one being sensitive by reading my comments the wrong way (and others), and also by the word, *gasp* "hell". This an online message board or a forum. Why so sensitive? I don't know what kind of world you live in, but I've seen and heard numerous professionals use curse words in public settings... also "in a professional (or semi-professional) environment" It depends on who you're speaking to. I assumed that since this is an online message board, it's okay to talk in a typical laid-back, conversational language. I APOLOGIZE and I'm sorry if I deeply offended anyone.

I sincerely doubt you have the ability to actually offend me.

Some of my questions were opinion-based, not something that you can easily research. I wanted to get a gist of what some people thought.
For instance, leaving my job at Nordstrom, and become a CNA instead, knowing that that job is more related to my career since it's surrounded by health care experience. Makati2008 said this was "immature" and never explained why.

Well, I think you got the gist of what some of us thought. You came across as an immature kid with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. Some of us have spent our valuable time trying to help you so you can prevent yourself from making that mistake again. It is up to you whether you listen to our advice or not, but I think I'm done.

You're welcome.

According to my research, a physician assistant is someone who gives to care to patients under the supervision of a doctor. And yes, they use " 's" such as "Physician's Assistant" http://www.ultrasoundtechnicianschools.org/the-difference-between-physicians-assistants-and-doctors/ and others, just to name a few:

I don't see what's wrong with it. You are working under the supervision of someone, and you are an assistant to that person when it comes to surgery, so technically the possessive form does make sense. Yes, you assist physicians in patient care. It's called for "Physician's Assistant" for a reason.

When I said, "aide" I didn't mean "give the doctor coffee", etc. or any of that slave work. I meant a helper who shares responsibility with the doctor over the care of a patient.

I did apologize actually. However, when someone calls you "immature!" right off the bat without any good reasons at first and doesn't answer any of your questions (at least in the beginning), it's hard NOT to lose patience and argue. But THANK YOU for answering one of my questions.

Last edited:
"You asked over and over, and it's been explained to you." ....FINALLY! Thank you!

"No, the data does not vary, but opinions do." Factual-based questions has been answered. I had OPINION-BASED questions that were answered... well by some people. Some were yet again left unanswered:

(1) What are some good PA programs in the USA (PERSONAL OPINION)?

I would like to have more answers to this question. Just your personal opinion:
(2) Do you think it's possible for me to work and get all the clinical healthcare experience I can get DURING college, so by the time I've graduated, I can just go straight into P.A. school?

"I sincerely doubt you have the ability to actually offend me." Well then, obviously, I wasn't speaking to YOU. Self-centered much?

"Well, I think you got the gist of what some of us thought. You came across as an immature kid with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. Some of us have spent our valuable time trying to help you so you can prevent yourself from making that mistake again. It is up to you whether you listen to our advice or not, but I think I'm done."
......Never really answered my question though. You answered 1, thank you for that. If you don't know the answers to some of my other questions, then simply go to another thread, and I'll have someone who can actually answer them for me, and receive a bigger "Thank You" they deserve for the bigger help without the pointless attack. If you're done, that's perfectly fine, don't the door hit you on your way out.

aapa.org
Get all your questions answered there.
You can find links to programs in your state and seek out specific requirements for each program on each school's website.
Can you get your HCE done in college? Sure.
A good PA program is one that has high matriculation standards and weeds out students who won't be safe and competent health care providers. A commonly held axiom is that a good PA program is the one that accepts YOU which I predict won't happen until you have educated YOURSELF THOROUGHLY on the profession and can speak eloquently about why YOU will make a great PA.
None of us seasoned PAs (and a couple of us are also medical students now) are seeing that spark of potential in you yet. But you are young, you are naive, and you are impatient.
The Internet's a wonderful thing. Start using it to teach yourself about this profession that you claim to be so eager to get into.

Son, I haven't attacked you. If I did, there would be no doubt in your mind, or anyone elses, that I had. I was trying to help you.

To answer your specific questions - What makes one program better than another is typically up to individual preferences. As long as you avoid programs that are having accreditation problems you will likely have a "good" program. Other than that, there is wide variety in costs and location, and a small variety in focus (most focus on "creating rural providers", but some focus on surgery, etc).

It is certainly is possible to work as a CNA while in college to get your HC experience. My first time in college (a loooooooong time ago) I worked as a CNA while I played football and was still able to pull off decent grades. Most of my classmates also did the same thing (worked as CNA in college to get HC experience).

@primadonna22274: Okay, thanks.

@Boatswain2PA: Thank you. If you thought I came off as a "naive, mean-spirited, self-centered brat", then I apologize.

This thread came off too heated.

Last edited:
"You asked over and over, and it's been explained to you." ....FINALLY! Thank you!

"No, the data does not vary, but opinions do." Factual-based questions has been answered. I had OPINION-BASED questions that were answered... well by some people. Some were yet again left unanswered:

(1) What are some good PA programs in the USA (PERSONAL OPINION)?

I would like to have more answers to this question. Just your personal opinion:
(2) Do you think it's possible for me to work and get all the clinical healthcare experience I can get DURING college, so by the time I've graduated, I can just go straight into P.A. school?

"I sincerely doubt you have the ability to actually offend me." Well then, obviously, I wasn't speaking to YOU. Self-centered much?

"Well, I think you got the gist of what some of us thought. You came across as an immature kid with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. Some of us have spent our valuable time trying to help you so you can prevent yourself from making that mistake again. It is up to you whether you listen to our advice or not, but I think I'm done."
......Never really answered my question though. You answered 1, thank you for that. If you don't know the answers to some of my other questions, then simply go to another thread, and I'll have someone who can actually answer them for me, and receive a bigger "Thank You" they deserve for the bigger help without the pointless attack. If you're done, that's perfectly fine, don't the door hit you on your way out.

Good start in gaining humility. Glad you apologized and could admit to yourself you needed too

Actually, to all those who were trying to correct me for my term usage of the word, "Doctor's Assistant" when describing "Physician Assistant" .... yes I think I was right. They can be used interchangeably: http://www.ehow.com/info_7928414_differences-doctors-assistant-medical-assistant.html

"The main difference between a doctor's assistant (also known as a physician assistant) and a medical assistant is in their job responsibilities...."

Read more: The Differences Between a Doctor's Assistant & a Medical Assistant | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7928414_differences-doctors-assistant-medical-assistant.html#ixzz25jTGiCxf

http://www.physicianassistantsite.com/page/2
"These programs are sometimes referred to as "Doctor's Assistant" programs in some parts of the country."

So,
Makati2008, clearly, I know what I meant. Just letting you guys know I'm getting my information from credible sources before everyone jumps on my throat for "not doing your own research" Just saying, not trying to be rude. Done arguing.

Last edited:
2. Don't ever follow Zenman's advice. Ever.

Notice how short my reply to the OP was compared to your time-wasting tome. Yes, I'm not very bright which is why tomorrow is my last day at work here and I start a new one with a $32k base salary raise. Never follow my lead or advice, lol!

Actually, to all those who were trying to correct me for my term usage of the word, "Doctor's Assistant" when describing "Physician Assistant" .... yes I think I was right. They can be used interchangeably: http://www.ehow.com/info_7928414_differences-doctors-assistant-medical-assistant.html

"The main difference between a doctor's assistant (also known as a physician assistant) and a medical assistant is in their job responsibilities...."

Read more: The Differences Between a Doctor's Assistant & a Medical Assistant | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7928414_differences-doctors-assistant-medical-assistant.html#ixzz25jTGiCxf

http://www.physicianassistantsite.com/page/2/: " These programs are sometimes referred to as “Doctor’s Assistant” programs in some parts of the country."

So,
Makati2008, clearly, I know what I meant. Just letting you guys know I'm getting my information from credible sources before everyone jumps on my throat for "not doing your own research" Just saying, not trying to be rude. Done arguing.

Ehow Is not a credible source and your link didn't work. Say that in an interview Mr. 4.0 and you will be without a seat.

Your obviously a know it all so go ahead and apply to PA school since you know everything lol.

Have fun opening those rejection letters :)

eHow.com can be a good source if the contributors uses references at the end of the article, which they obviously did. Just because it doesn't agree with your stance, doesn't mean it's "not a credible source"

It's "you're" not your, and I'm a SHE, not a HE.

"Have fun opening those rejection letters" Ha! You wish...

Last edited:
You will see plenty of rejections due to your attitude alone by the way.
As of now, the only person who I've giving an attitude to is just you. It's not like you're the head of the admissions council of any of the PA programs that I'm interested in applying to; too bad your opinion is worthless to me after all. I'm not here to impress you.

And no offense your chances of getting into PA school are slim due to the weak body of work that you have so far.
Oh no, I'm just getting started. As a sophomore year, I have three more years to explore and get active in many kinds of programs, work, activities, and opportunities headed towards me during college. And, yes I'll enjoy it :D

PS-Have fun picking apart the grammatical errors I typed kiddo while your classmates that are truly wanting to be PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS make your application worthless.
Oh, you're talking about my classmates? The majority of the ones who AREN'T actually going to PA school or med school, who chose to major in biology and freak out over the fact they realize they aren't committed and don't know what to do with it? The ones who have admitted they haven't started doing any community service or clubs? In that case, you got an another grammatical error: replace the word, "worthless" and I think you meant "worthwhile"

Last edited:
Don't be offended PAs. I hear kids that age say they want to be NPs all the time too, and they all say they are going to "get my NP" at podunk community college in 2 years, and then "get my DNP in (insert specialty)." It is clear few of them have a clue hat they are talking about and when you try to tell them, they get belligerent and tell you that "my cousins friend did it that way," or some such nonsense. They all know so much better than those of us that have actually worked hard and successfully navigated through the experience. And when they fail, they get on the interwebs and complain that "it is so unfair. Just because I have a C average they won't let me in. I care, I'd be a great NP!"

Ignorance abounds.

I actually was thinking TROLL from just the title. If they are serious there is no way they are getting in even if they do everything perfect and have perfect stats, unless they mature and research a lot. SO advice is a moot point at this juncture. I have served on a few Ad-Coms before and I would never let a candidate in with their attitude and immaturity.

SO in a nutshell OP, if you are not a troll and truly want to commit to the responsibility of the PA profession, grow up or advice will do no good. If you are a troll, then troll on. Next time you bash or belittle a profession for your entertainment just remember that it could be you or one of your relatives in the near future in the acute care of a PA.

Ok I will bite.

I work with a ton of PAs in a military hospital and they all rave about the military IPAP program. Pretty much all you need to do is become a 68W (Combat Medic) do a couple tours in the 'Stan, get a combat/expert medic badge and take some classes or something and you are in. It's as easy as that.

Ok my post is kind of serious but in all honestly the military (even NG or reserves) is a great way to make contacts or get health care hours for PA school. The ER PAs here have a lot of leeway and are used rather often (except in some special cases).

Ok I will bite.

I work with a ton of PAs in a military hospital and they all rave about the military IPAP program. Pretty much all you need to do is become a 68W (Combat Medic) do a couple tours in the 'Stan, get a combat/expert medic badge and take some classes or something and you are in. It's as easy as that.

Ok my post is kind of serious but in all honestly the military (even NG or reserves) is a great way to make contacts or get health care hours for PA school. The ER PAs here have a lot of leeway and are used rather often (except in some special cases).

Go with Drangers advice. Become a medic, do some tours, get your CMB/EFMB, use your TA and go to school in the rear, and apply to IPAP. If that doesn't give you a different outlook on life that everyone on these boards is alluding to, then nothing will.

I guess it probably depends how competitive your PA school. The one here in Washington state is very competitive. My friend has been working for ten years as a CNA and she finally got accepted into the PA program- but they told here it was very rare that a CNA had gotten as far as she had. Good luck.

FIRST, CHILL OUT BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are acting like you are a Senior in college who still has two yrs of Undergrad left. You are probably ahead of the curve.
But are you from FL where the GPA is on a 5.0 scale (b/c I heard they do that) or is your school on a 4.0 scale???
Very confusing there b/c in college I have never heard of someone with above a 4.0, this ain't HS kid.

If it was a mistake and it is a 3.02 GPA then I would worry a bit. If I were you, look at maybe a major in Kinesiology instead of a high science major like Physio (like me!) or BioChem.

You are only 19 years old and just starting your Sophomore year.
Next, never call it a "Doctors Assistant"

Here at MSU most of the people in my CNA course in Lansing at the start of the Summer were at youngest about to enter their Jr. yr and some had graduated. Lots of people don't even think about the clinical hours until their Sr. year.

Try to take a CNA course maybe during the Winter/Semester break and try to get maybe 4-6hrs a week at a local hospital maybe as a volunteer.

Not sure why you all are so extremely insulted to be called Doctor's Assistant as your title is Physician assistant which is quite similar. Is it an ego thing? I don't get it. Are you upset to be reminded that you're not really a doctor? I mean the A in PA stands for 'assistant'. That's what you are. Why are you so ashamed of it? Im not trying to insult or offend it just doesn't make sense. It wouldn't bother me one bit... getting so pissed about a minor mistake in a title is silly... I feel like there must be some deep seated resentment for doctors or some sort of ego issue behind it

Last edited:
Not sure why you all are so extremely insulted to be called Doctor's Assistant as your title is Physician assistant which is quite similar. Is it an ego thing? I don't get it. Are you upset to be reminded that you're not really a doctor? I mean the A in PA stands for 'assistant'. That's what you are. Why are you so ashamed of it? Im not trying to insult or offend it just doesn't make sense. It wouldn't bother me one bit... getting so pissed about a minor mistake in a title is silly... I feel like there must be some deep seated resentment for doctors or some sort of ego issue behind it

It has nothing to do with resenting MD's, the name itself is a misnomer. PA's do not "assist" doctors on a routine basis, for the most part they see their own patients just like the Doc. PA's have a supervising physician which they can consult with and work for....but that physician doesn't stand over the PA. There really isn't any assisting that a PA does other than in the surgical arena as "first assist". It kind of rubs the working PA's raw being called nothing more than an assistant when they have their own empanelment of patients. PA's generally don't have a problem with having a supervising physician, they know they aren't MD's and don't pretend to be.

Your reply leads me to believe that you know nothing of the profession; which is ok, you're still a med student and you haven't actually worked in the non-teaching world (guessing).

There is currently a push to change the name of the profession. The troll that started the thread knew that well, and got what he/she wanted.

so you are ok with " doctor's little helper supervisor" instead of physician?
that's not a minor mistake.....
what's the problem with being asked to be called by our proper name?

so you are ok with " doctor's little helper supervisor" instead of physician?
that's not a minor mistake.....
what's the problem with being asked to be called by our proper name?

I really don't care what I'm called, to be honest. Titles don't mean much to me, it's my actual skills, knowledge, work that speaks for itself..

There's nothing wrong with being asked to be called by your proper name but there isn't a huge difference between "doctor's assistant" and "physician assistant". The only thing that's changed there is physician --> doctor. Those are basically synonyms in common language. What's the big deal?

The guy didn't say "doctors little helper supervisor". If he had, I'd get your point. The fact that so many people read that out of the post makes it seem like they're already on edge for some reason. He probably knew this and was trolling you, but I'm surprised that the people who flipped out are so wound up about something so silly.

It has nothing to do with resenting MD's, the name itself is a misnomer. PA's do not "assist" doctors on a routine basis, for the most part they see their own patients just like the Doc. PA's have a supervising physician which they can consult with and work for....but that physician doesn't stand over the PA. There really isn't any assisting that a PA does other than in the surgical arena as "first assist". It kind of rubs the working PA's raw being called nothing more than an assistant when they have their own empanelment of patients. PA's generally don't have a problem with having a supervising physician, they know they aren't MD's and don't pretend to be.

Your reply leads me to believe that you know nothing of the profession; which is ok, you're still a med student and you haven't actually worked in the non-teaching world (guessing).

There is currently a push to change the name of the profession. The troll that started the thread knew that well, and got what he/she wanted.

OK, i see your point, I just think getting so heated over a title is silly. I used to be an engineer before medical school- pretty much everyone from the dude who installs your cable to the guy with a PhD is called an engineer, and it didn't bother me one bit. I didn't care that I had the same title as a dude who only has a high school diploma...It's what you actually know and do that matters.

As far as changing the title, I think that is only going to create more mass confusion. People are already very confused about all the different titles in healthcare. I don't think anyone who's actually been to see a PA thinks of him/her as just an "assistant" who fetches coffee for the doctor, so I don't really see the need to confuse things more. If you guys really want to change it, at least keep the acronym the same- maybe Physician Associate, or something.

OK, i see your point, I just think getting so heated over a title is silly. I used to be an engineer before medical school- pretty much everyone from the dude who installs your cable to the guy with a PhD is called an engineer, and it didn't bother me one bit. I didn't care that I had the same title as a dude who only has a high school diploma...It's what you actually know and do that matters.

As far as changing the title, I think that is only going to create more mass confusion. People are already very confused about all the different titles in healthcare. I don't think anyone who's actually been to see a PA thinks of him/her as just an "assistant" who fetches coffee for the doctor, so I don't really see the need to confuse things more. If you guys really want to change it, at least keep the acronym the same- maybe Physician Associate, or something.

Fair enough. The current push is for the name to be Physician Associate like you said. I'm not a PA (yet), but I'm not too sure how much it will matter in the grand scheme of things. Maybe it will stop PA's from constantly being confused with medical assistants.

I would prefer something with "clinician" in the title. After all that is what a PA is....a clinician, whereas an MD is a scientist/clinician. I just can't think of anything that sounds good to go with it

At the end of the day....it's a good profession; with or without a namechange.

@peteB: THANK YOU for understanding where I was coming from! I wasn't trying to go ballistic and start a heated argument on this thread, until others called me "immature" "TROLL" etc. and flamed at me for a tiny mistake.

I asked a question and all they did was try to make me feel stupid, which completely ticked me off. If I made a mistake, all they had to do was politely correct me, the attitude wasn't needed. No, I'm not a troll, and I thought "Doctor's Assistant" and "Physician Assistant" were interchangeable terms in the beginning due to some websites that used them in the same manner. Unfortunately, I made an error, and I stand corrected.

@hughesn2: No, it's not a 3.02 GPA. I typed it correctly, it's 4.02 GPA, which is pretty much the same thing as a "4.0 GPA"

Other than that, I'm satisfied with the feedback I received from some people. Btw, I'm a female.... *sighs*

Last edited:
Fair enough. The current push is for the name to be Physician Associate. Maybe it will stop PA's from constantly being confused with medical assistants.
that's what the name change movement is all about. we don't want independence, we don't want to be confused with doctors/physicians. we just want folks to stop confusing someone with 6+ years of college level education(not including prior training in medicine) to stop being confused with those with a high school diploma + 3-6 months of trade school.
I have over a decade of education to be where I am today and many patients still confuse me with a medical assistant until I launch into a big shpiel about what a pa is. it really gets old. I would be equally ok with " Clinical associate", just get rid of the damn assistant in the title. I don't assist anyone. I practice medicine with the indirect and occasional collaboration of a physician..