AIDS and Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite001

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the consequences are if one were to contract it. Could one's license be revoked? Imagine after 4 years of grueling school plus up to $700 K debt with a new practice. Could it all be taken with a single one night stand? If so, is there any kind of insurance to protect one's self, or are dentists forced to live squeaky clean their entire lives.

Members don't see this ad.

I THINK I have heard of dentists that have it and still practice. Maybe you just have to inform your patients or something (or teach?). Of course why would anyone want to get it, I would rather live a sqeeky clean life so I can be healthy :D

grtuck

Another issue - what if, despite careful infection control practices, the worst happens and somehow you contract AIDS from a patient while practicing dentistry? And I'm not talking about liability or suing and all that crap - just what happens to your practice? Are you then out of business?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your license gets revoked with HIV.

There was a court case a few years ago in which a hygienist who became HIV+ sued his boss, the dentist, because the dentist would no longer allow the hygienist to work as a hygienist. Instead, the dentist gave the hygienist a clerical job. The hygienist lost the case.

I do think you're not allowed to practice in any healthcare profession, if you contract Hep B.

With Universal Precautions, there is no more risk with HIV contraction than their is with any other disease. You practice on patients as if they're like anyone else, thus you also practice like you're every other dentist (legally speaking).

Whether or not you have HIV, you cannot be discriminated against, just like you cannot do that with your patient.

In fact, you do not have to disclose that you do have HIV (nor does you patient) becuase it has no bearing on how you practice. Your patient does, on the other hand, have to disclose what medications they are taking, even if it does hint that they do have HIV.

Either way, you're safe. It's all about Universal Precautions.

getting infected by your hiv+ patient while using universal precautions is not much more likely to happen than having your local white rhino running up and pinching your behind...

i can't recall the numbers..
...but i remember them being super-lotto odds small.

if u are worried about contracting AIDS...just try not to share needles while shooting up heroin and having unprotected sex with other men too much.
(a somewhat risky behavior)

concerning patients...
i know i am generalizing but pts living with aids are pretty knowledgeable about their condition...and are pretty darn good patients.
the 2 hiv+ pts in my practice now are actually my 2 best patients. just be nice and treat them with respect and you'll be golden.
(in other word...treat them like you treat ALL of your patients)

Don't you have to be vaccinated for Hep A&B to work in clinic at all? :confused:

yes. in fact, before you can attend d-school you have to get your three hep-b shots

... Looks like I'm still going to become a dentist then. No one wants to get HIV of course, but always remember Murphy's law. BTW, sex is fun. I want to be a dentist but I don't want to have to be a priest to do it.

I have AIDS symptoms

AIDS = All I dream.....sex

:love:

Yah-E said:
I have AIDS symptoms

AIDS = All I dream.....sex

:love:

ADIDAS too... i'm talking about the shoes of course ;)

It is far more likely you will become disabled from something other than AIDS in your career.You should purchase disability insurance when you start out,which will protect you in the event you are unable to practice your profession for medical reasons.