Aiming EM/IM residency, Surgery Elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etceteras

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm an FMG entering my final year, and hoping to match into either EM or IM. I have an elective in an IM subspecialty at a good program, and am organising an EM elective through a contact at another hospital.

I just got offered a Surgery Sub-I in a really great program. Aside from the fact that it's in surgery, it would be a fantastic offer. However, I'm kinda worried about doing an elective in an area outside of what I plan on applying to. I do enjoy surgery, but as an FMG with a high 24x step 1 score, my odds of matching are still <50% (compared to >85% in IM), so I've very much dismissed the idea (although the program that offered me the elective is very FMG friendly).

I'm aiming for 4 months of USCE, and money is an issue for me. I can't afford to pay an application fee and drop an elective, and this program requires the (hefty) elective fee within a few weeks of acceptance. I'm not entirely confident of getting another elective during that slot (Non-LCME-friendly electives are few and far between).

If I did this Sub-I, would it work against me, or in my favor when applying for EM or IM residency? Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm really stuck on what to do!

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re truly interested in EM, at bare minimum, you need to do two early EM electives at a site with a residency program. Nearly every EM residency requires a minimum of 2 SLOEs in order to be ranked.

If you’re truly interested in EM, at bare minimum, you need to do two early EM electives at a site with a residency program. Nearly every EM residency requires a minimum of 2 SLOEs in order to be ranked.
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I hadn't realised I'd need two electives in EM! I'm applying for EM electives during my other slots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I hadn't realised I'd need two electives in EM! I'm applying for EM electives during my other slots.

Good! And again, make sure they are rotations associated with a residency program. Those are they only rotations you can get a SLOE from, which are absolutely vital.

Good! And again, make sure they are rotations associated with a residency program. Those are they only rotations you can get a SLOE from, which are absolutely vital.

Once again, didn't realise this. Thanks a mil for the advice! It can be kind of frustrating trying to figure out all of this while not in the US. Not that many people in my University apply to the USA, and I don't know anyone else who has applied to Emergency. All the programs I'm applying to so far in EM are University and Residency affiliated.

Do you have any other advice when applying to EM? It'd be much appreciated!

Do you have any other advice when applying to EM? It'd be much appreciated!

Just apply broadly for rotations and get applications in as soon as they open up. Whether through VSAS or the program’s website, research what you need in terms of documentation and have it ready before applications are open.