You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Air Force HPSP 2017
Started by meganmeky
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
did anyone sign their letters yet?
thank you
thank you
Nope. Recruiter on vacationdid anyone sign their letters yet?
thank you
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I signed them and my recruiter received them already. I have to go do fingerprinting today at a nearby MEPSdid anyone sign their letters yet?
thank you
What all do we have to do at MEPS? just fingerprints?Yes I signed them and my recruiter received them already. I have to go do fingerprinting today at a nearby MEPS
fingerprints, and just starting the process for other necessary paperwork depending on your specialty and providing info for a background check. Anyone know what else to anticipate between now and COT/scroll approval? Seems like its just a waiting game at this point (again).What all do we have to do at MEPS? just fingerprints?
Thank you
fingerprints, and just starting the process for other necessary paperwork depending on your specialty and providing info for a background check. Anyone know what else to anticipate between now and COT/scroll approval? Seems like its just a waiting game at this point (again).
Thank you
Signing various papers, finding out your assignment, etc.
After a little tour in USAF (Navy..whatever) pharmacy...you guyz might want to nose around the pilot training recruiters..They are screaming for pilots ( a lot are mondo ticked off but have about 100 times the adventure). Do it while you can still hack the physical and academics....maybe visit some of the youngsters at the local squadron. Be humble and offer beer....
Hey can someone walk me through this process? Every recruiter I talk to gives me different dates to apply. Last June (2017) I started with all my info. Then in October, I was told by the recruiter that the application period isn't until Feb 2018. I called the recruiter and was told there's a new recruiter (I know they move around a lot). I am now told that the application period is June 2018. I am very frustrated right now.
pharm2table
Full Member
Selected! 2 year!! Congrats to everyone else when you finally hear!
Congrats! I'm currently going into my P3 year, and applying this cycle. Seeing as you got a 2 year scholarship but weren't selected until after fall semester ended (1.5 years till graduation), will the scholarship back pay/cover the fall semester tuition bill?
I also noticed the image you posted in a different post of an email from your recruiter. How much information did they give you when you received the scholarship (i.e. COT dates, duty station locations etc.)
On another note, can anyone provide the exact financial numbers from the 2017 scholarship so I'll know roughly what to expect from 2018?
Lots of questions, I know but thanks! I appreciate it!
Congrats! I'm currently going into my P3 year, and applying this cycle. Seeing as you got a 2 year scholarship but weren't selected until after fall semester ended (1.5 years till graduation), will the scholarship back pay/cover the fall semester tuition bill?
I also noticed the image you posted in a different post of an email from your recruiter. How much information did they give you when you received the scholarship (i.e. COT dates, duty station locations etc.)
On another note, can anyone provide the exact financial numbers from the 2017 scholarship so I'll know roughly what to expect from 2018?
Lots of questions, I know but thanks! I appreciate it!
Not how it works. You will compete for 1 yr scholarships if already a p3. You wont get cot dates and assignment until a few months before you finish p4 year.
pharm2table
Full Member
Not how it works. You will compete for 1 yr scholarships if already a p3. You wont get cot dates and assignment until a few months before you finish p4 year.
Hmm interesting.. Very different than the impression I got from my recruiter. I've been in contact with him for several years now and we waited until spring semester of P2 year to start the app process. Slightly concerning because I was definitely expecting to be competing for the 2 year scholarship.
Do you mind sharing the approx. financial numbers for the scholarship and commissioned pharmacist pay (base and specialty)? Just so I have an idea of what to expect.
My primary interest in pharmacy is clinical (I hope to do residency one day soon), so I'd prefer to work in a hospital. I could also see myself in an ambulatory clinic, but I want to avoid retail/community settings. Are you aware if HPSP recipients have any preference in which type of pharmacy they are assigned to practice in?
Hmm interesting.. Very different than the impression I got from my recruiter. I've been in contact with him for several years now and we waited until spring semester of P2 year to start the app process. Slightly concerning because I was definitely expecting to be competing for the 2 year scholarship.
Do you mind sharing the approx. financial numbers for the scholarship and commissioned pharmacist pay (base and specialty)? Just so I have an idea of what to expect.
My primary interest in pharmacy is clinical (I hope to do residency one day soon), so I'd prefer to work in a hospital. I could also see myself in an ambulatory clinic, but I want to avoid retail/community settings. Are you aware if HPSP recipients have any preference in which type of pharmacy they are assigned to practice in?
You can look up base pay for an O3 with zero years of service, so on and so forth.
Scholarship I believe was tuition plus about 2000/month except for one month where it was ~4K. Started 1st day of P4 year for me and ended last day of P4 year.
HPSP does not recieve preference. You should assume that you will be working outpatient, because that is where the vast majority work for a first assignment. You are not eligible to compete for a residency until you have completed 2 years in.
The bonus is 15,000 a year for 2 years with a 2 year commitment. You have to first finish your initial term of service now, which is 3 years for most people.
Generally the board is held in Sept/Oct, results out late in the year, for scholarships starting the next summer. I've never ever seen them back pay a scholarship.
pharm2table
Full Member
You can look up base pay for an O3 with zero years of service, so on and so forth.
Scholarship I believe was tuition plus about 2000/month except for one month where it was ~4K. Started 1st day of P4 year for me and ended last day of P4 year.
HPSP does not recieve preference. You should assume that you will be working outpatient, because that is where the vast majority work for a first assignment. You are not eligible to compete for a residency until you have completed 2 years in.
The bonus is 15,000 a year for 2 years with a 2 year commitment. You have to first finish your initial term of service now, which is 3 years for most people.
Generally the board is held in Sept/Oct, results out late in the year, for scholarships starting the next summer. I've never ever seen them back pay a scholarship.
Thank you very much for the info. My understanding of AF residency is that it does not count towards your 3 year minimum requirement. So say I start in 2020 after graduation, my minimum would be until 2023 but if a did a PGY1 it would be 2024, correct? I'm not sure of the variety of PGY1 and PGY2 options available in the AF, but it still seems like doing it in the AF may be a better option that doing a civilian residency. Do you have a preference? What year did you receive HPSP?
I emailed my recruiter inquiring about the 2 year scholarship for my case. I'll see what he says and report back, as I'm unsure why we waited until this summer to start the process as opposed to last summer if it limited my options. It also appears that there may have been some individuals on this thread that were in my situation (entering P3 year) and still received a 2 year scholarship?
Thank you very much for the info. My understanding of AF residency is that it does not count towards your 3 year minimum requirement. So say I start in 2020 after graduation, my minimum would be until 2023 but if a did a PGY1 it would be 2024, correct? I'm not sure of the variety of PGY1 and PGY2 options available in the AF, but it still seems like doing it in the AF may be a better option that doing a civilian residency. Do you have a preference? What year did you receive HPSP?
I emailed my recruiter inquiring about the 2 year scholarship for my case. I'll see what he says and report back, as I'm unsure why we waited until this summer to start the process as opposed to last summer if it limited my options. It also appears that there may have been some individuals on this thread that were in my situation (entering P3 year) and still received a 2 year scholarship?
I graduated between 5 and 10 years ago. There are no PGY2 pharmacy residencies in the AF that I am aware of. In accordance with AFI 36-2107, you will owe 36 months upon the completion of the residency. So your minimum would actually be 2026. If you were to do a residency and accept special pay, you would owe until 2028 (3 for initial term of service + 3 for residency + 2 for special pay.)
After a while, you will have the illusion of preference. Your preference is considered, but there must be an opening at a certain place for your rank, as well as other considerations such as job type and proximity to your next promotion board. For instance, they do not send a colonel to a captain billet except in the rarest of circumstances. Each base already has an expected number of pharmacist positions for each rank. This does not have to be followed to the exact letter, but it will be very close.
As promotion is difficult for those in the Biomedical Science Corps, the wrong mix of assignments/jobs, staying at a place too long, not getting glowing yearly recommendations and not completing professional military education are all reasons for non-promotion. I strongly suggest you find a mentor that is experienced (and that you know outside of an internet forum) to help you make the choices necessary at the beginning for promotion many years in the future.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s best to contact a specialized healthcare recruiter by April/May to start developing your packet which consists of at least 3 letters or recommendation, a personal statement that is in the form of 10 questions, background information (school transcripts, school acceptance letter, etc), and passing the military physical. Once your packet is complete your recruiter will schedule and interview some time in August or September. They say the decision should be made by the end of October each year, so it is imperative that you apply early. And make sure that you have a good recruiter that believes in you.Hey can someone walk me through this process? Every recruiter I talk to gives me different dates to apply. Last June (2017) I started with all my info. Then in October, I was told by the recruiter that the application period isn't until Feb 2018. I called the recruiter and was told there's a new recruiter (I know they move around a lot). I am now told that the application period is June 2018. I am very frustrated right now.
I applied for a 1-year scholarshipHas anyone applied for this year's HPSP for Pharmacy in the Air Force?
I also applied for the 1 year scholarship.
You advice was spot on! I started my packet back in May and just barely made this years cycle.It’s best to contact a specialized healthcare recruiter by April/May to start developing your packet which consists of at least 3 letters or recommendation, a personal statement that is in the form of 10 questions, background information (school transcripts, school acceptance letter, etc), and passing the military physical. Once your packet is complete your recruiter will schedule and interview some time in August or September. They say the decision should be made by the end of October each year, so it is imperative that you apply early. And make sure that you have a good recruiter that believes in you.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 42
- Views
- 3K