Air Force Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have my interview for the Air Force HPSP Scholarship coming up in a couple of weeks. I am just wondering what others experiences were like and how I should prepare? Also, how should I dress? Should it be the typical suit and tie? My recruiter said I need to get really dressed up with a tux and all, but I was not sure if he was just joking about the tux thing. lol Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wore a suit and tie for my HPSP interviews! Think of it as a job interview.

Hi, I have my interview for the Air Force HPSP Scholarship coming up in a couple of weeks. I am just wondering what others experiences were like and how I should prepare? Also, how should I dress? Should it be the typical suit and tie? My recruiter said I need to get really dressed up with a tux and all, but I was not sure if he was just joking about the tux thing. lol Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!
lol do not wear a tux. I actually did my interview over the phone for the Air Force, not sure how looked down upon that is but I got in...

But if its anything like the interview I did for an Air Force AEGD, just wear suit and tie (conservative colors like Navy or Grey). Show up clean cut and in shape if you can. Like any interview make sure you have stuff to ask them and make sure you spin it so that they try to "sell you" Air Force HPSP. Like all important interviews, show up with updated cover letter, resume and personal statement- even if they already have it all because you already emailed it to them, best to show up prepared. Maybe bring a portfolio to take notes? I didn't but couldn't hurt. Best of luck on the interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Look as "officer like" as you can: clean shaven, short hair, no ridiculous visible tattoos, be very positive and somewhat restrained at the same time. Be ready to ask questions about how the dental corps works and, of course, don't ever sound like a troll ("I'm doing this because of money reasons...." "I'm out in 4 years" "I have no interest in specializing" "Can I do implants at day one?" "How do I avoid being deployed?" "Can I get stationed in this awesome location?" )

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate it!!

Hello everyone,

Just as an update, I recently went through the interview process, but I am a little confused and I am hoping to get some insight. I went prepared with a resume and some questions as some of you have suggested. When I got there everything was going well, but the majority, and I mean 75-80% of the interview was me asking the questions...and I can't help but feel I did something wrong. The whole time the conversation was very friendly and everything, but I started to feel I was interviewing them and not the other way around. I was asked only question in return at the very end of the interview.. Any advice/insight about this situation would be helpful. I just don't know if I am over thinking this. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Just as an update, I recently went through the interview process, but I am a little confused and I am hoping to get some insight. I went prepared with a resume and some questions as some of you have suggested. When I got there everything was going well, but the majority, and I mean 75-80% of the interview was me asking the questions...and I can't help but feel I did something wrong. The whole time the conversation was very friendly and everything, but I started to feel I was interviewing them and not the other way around. I was asked only question in return at the very end of the interview.. Any advice/insight about this situation would be helpful. I just don't know if I am over thinking this. Thanks!
Probably overthinking. My Navy interviews were very conversational, and I did most of the questioning. I'm sure the interviewers want an applicant who is interested in learning more about military dentistry anyway.