Air Force OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my chief year of OMFS with 3 years still to pay back for HPSP from dental school. The following list is the "prospective" bases that will be available next year for OMFS assignment. These were sent to me by the guy over all the OMFs in the AF. Can anyone comment on any of the following bases for OMFS, specifically what the OMFS practice is like at each of the bases, what perks/downfalls of living in each area. I imagine that I will be about the lowest ranking OMFs in the AF being just an O3. Thus, I will probably get left with the crumbs....

Osan, Korea a 1 year remote (no family members can go with you) tour that comes open every year
Andrews near Washington DC
Langley Virginia
Lackland San Antonio, TX
Travis San Francisco area, CA
Aviano near Venice, Italy
Elmendorf Alaska
Nellis Las Vegas, NV
Offutt Omaha, NE
Spangdahlem Germany
Sheppard Wichita Falls, TX
Lakenheath England
Ramstein Germany
Eglin Florida
Kadena Okinawa, Japan
Scott St Louis, MO

Members don't see this ad.

Good to hear we have an AD dentist on the board. I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I'd guess any posting in Germany would be nice. ;)

When did you apply for and get offered your OMFS slot? Just 1 year out of D school (if you have 3 years HPSP payback left that would make sense)? And what is the payback for your residency; 1 for 1?

pmoney said:
Good to hear we have an AD dentist on the board. I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I'd guess any posting in Germany would be nice. ;)

When did you apply for and get offered your OMFS slot? Just 1 year out of D school (if you have 3 years HPSP payback left that would make sense)? And what is the payback for your residency; 1 for 1?

I had a 3 year HPSP from dental school and was permited to apply straight from dental school into a civilian oral surgery program. Thus I have zero active duty time and I know nothing about the AF. The AF didn't sponsor me during oral surgery thus, I only owe 3 years from dental school. What does AD mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me see if I can get this straight, you can defer your active duty commitment to do a civilian residency - ortho, perio, endo, or oral surgery and only owe them back for dental school that they covered if you specialize by paying your own way? Very long sentence...but I think this is a very attractive option. Am I right? How do you become "permited" to apply?

esclavo said:
I had a 3 year HPSP from dental school and was permited to apply straight from dental school into a civilian oral surgery program. Thus I have zero active duty time and I know nothing about the AF. The AF didn't sponsor me during oral surgery thus, I only owe 3 years from dental school. What does AD mean?
i am assuming ad in this sense means active duty. I am sorry that I am not too familiar with the air force bases or oms in the airforce but I do know a little about how the military in general operates. I have heard that germany is nice but don't plan on staying there long as it is good launching point for deployments. Korea is nice if you are single because after the year there you should be able to get to go almost any where that you want to stateside. I would personally want to go to Italy, but there isn't much chance of that as an O3. You might want to ask in the medical military forum since you will be involved in the hospitals. I know that there are a lot of disgruntled air force docs there that wouldn't mind giving you their opinion. Some of them like to complain alot but they also have some good insights.