Air Force PGY2 Failed PT Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erald Coil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Air Force PGY2 who has failed two PT tests in the past year (one fail, one pass, then another fail). I became short of breath during the run in the cold. I do well enough to pass with albuterol. I am now undergoing a command-directed medical evaluation board, being reviewed by the deployment working group, and have to meet with the wing commander in 10 days. I've been told that he's giving me 90 days to recover/recondition, get medically cleared (which I believe I will), and take it again. I do not know of an administrative separation is being concurrently pursued, but fear that this is possible based on a lot of scary googling about failures and separations.

I am prior enlisted with a total of 13 years in and a commitment due to USUHS that makes me AF property until 2026. I am a below average resident in my program, and would seriously consider dropping out to go flight medicine right now, but prefer to stick it out and study hard to hopefully pass boards and move on. In either case, Air Force seems to care more about my physical fitness than ITE scores or job performance (which is not a problem - just test scores).

Can anyone offer advice or insight into how my PT failure will be handled? I understand I would probably be dropped like a hot rock if I were enlisted with multiple fails, but would hope they will be willing to give me a chance to get back into shape like I know I can.

Members don't see this ad.

You're describing the symptoms of asthma and/or exercise-induced asthma, not an issue of undeveloped physical fitness. You didn't do it to yourself or allow anyone else to do it to you. I have exercise-induced asthma, as well as allergic asthma. It's not my favorite thing but is easily dealt with using an albuterol inhaler before running and maybe every 15 minutes while running if it's cold and I feel like I'm getting breathless. I can't remember if asthma is still a no-go for service members but... well, air force have different physical requirements than the others. What does your CO say? Are you allowed to run with an inhaler? (I usually tuck mine in my sports bra if my shorts don't have a wee pocket in the back waistband.)

Reactions: 1 user
One failure typically results in a re-take. I would get a medical eval first...SDN isn't the place to get medical advice. If you fail twice, you can be put in a training program. I have seen folks separated for three failures.