Air Force Air Force Specialities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catdaddy33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a couple questions regarding specialities and HPSP

1- If you specialize and do a residency(endo) are you getting the same stipend during that time that you received during school for the HPSP or are you given a higher rank and paid more?

2- are those years of residency neutral years? so if you did a 3 year HPSP, 2 year endo residency, you would then owe 3 years back doing endo?

Thanks! I've tried finding information everywhere with no clear answer

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering applying for the AF HPSP scholarship and have extensively looked up a lot of information. This is what I have found in regards to your questions. Hopefully someone who has gone through the whole process can add or clarify my answers.

1- If you specialize and do a residency(endo) are you getting the same stipend during that time that you received during school for the HPSP or are you given a higher rank and paid more?

#1: After dental school you become active duty and work full time as a dentist in the military. You are also on the third tier of the officer hierarchy, as a Captain, which is pretty impressive. Your compensation becomes much better than the living stipend you received while in dental school. Instead of ~2,100 each month (~25k/year) you would now earn roughly 91K/year. You receive your captain pay + housing stipend + sustenance stipend + dental profession stipend which totals to 91K/year. This is the income you earn even if you are in residency program while in the military and not just a general dentist. What is good about this system is that you're effectively being taxed at 60-70K/year which makes that 91K stretch a litter further than it would in a civilian setting. Also, you will have access to tax free groceries and goods if you decide to do your shopping on the military base.

You bring up a question I have also been interested about, from what I have read it appears that your income will actually take a small jump up from 91K during or after your residency program but I haven't found enough posts to thoroughly substantiate that. I read about an AF OMFS resident mentioning that after his 2nd year of residency he was making a little more than 100K a year... so I assume they recognize your additional skill set and compensate you accordingly. Anyone else have specifics on this?

2- are those years of residency neutral years? so if you did a 3 year HPSP, 2 year endo residency, you would then owe 3 years back doing endo?

#2: That's right, after residency you would owe them only 3 years doing endo. You are paying off the residency years concurrently as you're in the program, thus making them neutral. Someone actually described it as, you are still paying off your dental school years while you are in the military residency program thus after your 2 year residency program you still owe them 1 year for the HPSP and 2 years for the endo residency... It's easier just to consider the residency as neutral years...

For both of your questions, the better scenario is what ultimately happens.

Anyone know any Air Force Oral Surgeons who would be a good resource to contact regarding their experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying for the AF HPSP scholarship and have extensively looked up a lot of information. This is what I have found in regards to your questions. Hopefully someone who has gone through the whole process can add or clarify my answers.

#1: After dental school you become active duty and work full time as a dentist in the military. You are also on the third tier of the officer hierarchy, as a Captain, which is pretty impressive. Your compensation becomes much better than the living stipend you received while in dental school. Instead of ~2,100 each month (~25k/year) you would now earn roughly 91K/year. You receive your captain pay + housing stipend + sustenance stipend + dental profession stipend which totals to 91K/year. This is the income you earn even if you are in residency program while in the military and not just a general dentist. What is good about this system is that you're effectively being taxed at 60-70K/year which makes that 91K stretch a litter further than it would in a civilian setting. Also, you will have access to tax free groceries and goods if you decide to do your shopping on the military base.

Tax free groceries it may be, but not surcharge free.

You bring up a question I have also been interested about, from what I have read it appears that your income will actually take a small jump up from 91K during or after your residency program but I haven't found enough posts to thoroughly substantiate that. I read about an AF OMFS resident mentioning that after his 2nd year of residency he was making a little more than 100K a year... so I assume they recognize your additional skill set and compensate you accordingly. Anyone else have specifics on this?

Your base pay goes up based on your rank and years in service. Housing allowance changes from location to location, year to year. You can qualify to a retention bonus once your initial obligation is served.

#2: That's right, after residency you would owe them only 3 years doing endo. You are paying off the residency years concurrently as you're in the program, thus making them neutral. Someone actually described it as, you are still paying off your dental school years while you are in the military residency program thus after your 2 year residency program you still owe them 1 year for the HPSP and 2 years for the endo residency... It's easier just to consider the residency as neutral years...

That's assuming you get into your endo residency right away. If you already served out your HPSP obligation then get into a residency, then you will be serving them consecutively.

For both of your questions, the better scenario is what ultimately happens.

Thanks for the update coolslugs. I'm going Army now but definitely appreciate the clarifications since it applies to all branches.

Of the things your mentioned, I don't understand what surcharges are typical at a Commissary or Base Exchange/Post Exchange.

Does anyone know how competitive it is to get accepted to an Air Force pediatric residency right out of dental school?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I am an Army Healthcare Recruiter. I know this is an Air force thread, but HPSP is almost exactly the same in each branch. Let me know if you have any questions on the Army side of things.

Does anyone know how competitive it is to get accepted to an Air Force pediatric residency right out of dental school?
Any specialty residency is going to be very competitive straight out of school. This holds true for every branch of service. I was top 5% in my class, had several hundred hours of relevant community service, very solid research background, and I wasn't even selected as an alternate by the Navy for pedo right out of school. But, you'll never know if you don't apply.

Big Hoss

I am wondering how many spots there are for pedo in the AF... I haven't seen any info about it so far.

I am wondering how many spots there are for pedo in the AF... I haven't seen any info about it so far.
I think there are 10-12 pediatric dentists in the Navy. Given that the Navy is larger than the AF, I'd imagine the AF has even fewer. Again ragarding the Navy, they select 1, maybe 2, applicants annually. Regarding military pediatric dentists in general, they will spend 80% or so of their careers overseas. So, gear up for that.

Big Hoss