Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would anyone object to the introduction of a more pleasant conversation topic?

A splendid idea. </words nobody really uses>

My personal and research interests have always been infectious disease epidemiology, disaster medicine & public health preparedness, and microscopy. ... I see myself going into emergency medicine, pathology, or an IM sub-specialty in infectious diseases.

Very cool. I'm trying to keep an open mind about things because there is just so much I don't know about the various specialties. My interests lie mostly in international medicine, and specifically in medical missions in Africa. Obviously, that's not something most docs make a career out of, so I'm hoping to get my training in something that I can do on a flexible schedule here in the States and effectively apply overseas on missions. I've worked with IMs and FPs who did just fine on missions, and in May I'm going to be working with an EM. I am leaning towards EM because of the flexibility and the broad skill set, and also because it seems that a lot of FP/IM is being done in EDs by default these days because so many people are bringing non-emergent problems to the ED as a sort of free backdoor clinic.

LJ, have you read 'Mountains Beyond Mountains' yet? It's a very interesting biography of Dr. Robert Farmer, who is trained in ID and does a lot of international work. He's most famous for work in Haiti. Great book, and quite inspiring. (It's really a moral imperative for med school applicants, if a bit cliche.)

ETA: Page 28 belongs to the cranky old badger. 😎
 
Last edited:
LJ, have you read 'Mountains Beyond Mountains' yet? It's a very interesting biography of Dr. Robert Farmer, who is trained in ID and does a lot of international work. He's most famous for work in Haiti. Great book, and quite inspiring. (It's really a moral imperative for med school applicants, if a bit cliche.)

Actually I have not read that one, but I added it to my Amazon.com wishlist for the next batch of books I order. My "moral imperative for med school applicants" reading selections were Osler's Aequanimitas and Sinclair Lewis' Arrowsmith, among other things.
 
Has anyone read Complications by Atul Gawande? A friend recommended it to me as more-or-less an intro to Surgery (which I was considering at one time, although not anymore). The book is very well written, although I must say it has a rather obnoxious " superiority complex" undertone which probably stems from the fact that Gawande's a Harvard educated Rhode's Scholar and it's his life goal to rub it into everyone's face.

I've been meaning to read Mountains Beyond Mountains. I saw Paul Farmer at the National AMSA convention back in 2007 and to me he just seems to be operating on some kind of higher level; he's truly awe inspiring.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I also received my MPH in epi, I'm very interested in ID as a specialty. Of course I'm also interested in ever specialty that I have ever shadowed including orthopedics, opthamology and nephrology...so who knows! However, I feel a strong pull in the direction of ID and public health...particulary in the genre of zoonnotic diseases.
 
Has anyone read Complications by Atul Gawande? A friend recommended it to me as more-or-less an intro to Surgery (which I was considering at one time, although not anymore). The book is very well written, although I must say it has a rather obnoxious " superiority complex" undertone which probably stems from the fact that Gawande's a Harvard educated Rhode's Scholar and it's his life goal to rub it into everyone's face.

Working on it now, about 1/3 through. I read 'Better' a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I don't really get the same feeling of condescension from Gawande.

I've been meaning to read Mountains Beyond Mountains. I saw Paul Farmer at the National AMSA convention back in 2007 and to me he just seems to be operating on some kind of higher level; he's truly awe inspiring.
Agree that he's up on some higher plane. The sheer amount of time and work he pours into his projects is amazing.
 
I just talked with a buddy from UAH on FaceBook. He was accepted to UASOM off the waitlist in May of 2004, I believe. He's in a neurosurgery residency now.
 
Wow, I haven't read any of those books. But to answer the question floating around, I'm interested mainly in peds. I'd like to have a small private practice somewhere near where I live now.
 
I don't have time to read to be honest. I wish I had more time and I plan on catching up on my reading list before school starts.

Last book I read was A Canticle for Leibowtiz by Walter Miller
 
I like everything at this point... I could really like to do pediatrics or something to do with sports like ortho. Heme/onc is a really interesting specialty as well.
 
My best friend is about to find out where she matched in 14 minutes! The suspense is killing me...for her and me! Anybody check their status page lately? I think I'm up to four times so far this morning...I've got to STOP!
 
I've checked my status page as well today. Nothing new. Judging by Facebook none of my school's other applicants (there are six of us, including Thacked) has heard anything either.

VB, you must be waaay smart. I guess I should start reading more.
 
I've checked my status page as well today. Nothing new. Judging by Facebook none of my school's other applicants (there are six of us, including Thacked) has heard anything either.

VB, you must be waaay smart. I guess I should start reading more.
Ahh yes, facebook stalking to find out whether others have been accepted or not. I've been down that road, too.
 
I graduated back in May of last year. I went out of state so we probably don't know each other, unless you're a Grissom grad.

Oh yeah, Grissom graduate here! So is Thacked. So you guys are either the same age or really close in age. I'm older, class of 2000. But, I have three younger brothers and chances are you probably know one or more of them. We all went to ASFL, except for Ben who went ASFL/Farley/Challenger/Huntsville High. He's a senior now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS applicant to UAB here, interviewed 3/12. No news either 🙁 Just logged in and checked my online status, but just says that they have received my campus preferences. I need an acceptance! UAB is def my #1 choice.
 
My friend and I were there 3/12 as well. What does your secondary updated date say? I haven't submitted my campus preference yet...still waiting to tour Huntsville.
 
I don't know if I am really all that smart but I am really drawn to things like immunology (heme/onc) and sports/surgery.

More likely I will do primary care/academic medicine though. But there is plenty of time to find focus.
 
I just meant with all the books! Rarely do I get a break and think, "Ah, some classic literature (or something similar) would be great right now!" Maybe I'm weird.
 
If the Dean asked me to make my decision on the first day of class, I think I'd have to go with Space Doctor.

17262750.jpg
 
My friend and I were there 3/12 as well. What does your secondary updated date say? I haven't submitted my campus preference yet...still waiting to tour Huntsville.

3/12.
- Is that good or bad? I have no idea... I'm leaning towards bad since if they'd made a good decision that day on me, I would've known by now.


VanBrown - Do you watch the recent series of Dr Who? (ie, the one who's image you posted). I'm not sure how much you may have followed it, but my flight attendant on the way back from the UAB interview reminded me of a Dr Who character. It was this black male who had no neck and was somewhat stout/portly. Reminded me exactly of those Sonatarans! I just couldn't place who he looked like until you posted that Dr Who pic. Hahah, great stuff.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/characters/sontarans
 
Last edited:
hahhahaaha

I have no idea what you are talking about.. I googled 'space doctor' and that was one of the pictures that came up.


Now I am intrigued... time to wikipedia 'Dr. Who'
 
Now I am intrigued... time to wikipedia 'Dr. Who'

It's a heavy-duty British SciFi television series. The picture you posted is from when BBC started to remake the orig series and give it of an updated feel. I followed it off and on through a couple of seasons (through TV rips a la torrents).

All in all, it kept me entertained somewhat, but the show wasn't one I would highly recommend as a must-see show.
 
So I made my day-long apartment excursion today.

Highlights:
-Redmont Gardens ($) window A/C units, built 1938...hmm
-Overlook at Homewood (?) drove through, looked nice
-Mayfair Apartments ($$$) nice, just renovated
-Park Lane Apartments ($$) solid. great location. no washer/dryer hookup, though. lots of old folks
-Lake Shore Ridge very nice, brand new ($$$)
-Cameron at the Summit ($$$) close to the summit, still new
-Hermitage (?) looked okay. didn't see a leasing office

Thoughts?
 
Hi Veejl, nobody knows if it is good or bad. There seems to be a pretty even mix who have seen a change to 3/18, but whether it is for better or worse, who knows?
 
So I made my day-long apartment excursion today.

Highlights:
-Redmont Gardens ($) window A/C units, built 1938...hmm
-Overlook at Homewood (?) drove through, looked nice
-Mayfair Apartments ($$$) nice, just renovated
-Park Lane Apartments ($$) solid. great location. no washer/dryer hookup, though. lots of old folks
-Lake Shore Ridge very nice, brand new ($$$)
-Cameron at the Summit ($$$) close to the summit, still new
-Hermitage (?) looked okay. didn't see a leasing office

Thoughts?


The Overlook can be VERY shady.
I currently live at Lakeshore ridge. It's nice, but I pay $960 for a two bed two bath. Honestly if I get accepted I will be looking for somewhere cheaper. The Cameron at the Summit is nice (expensive too), but I wouldn't live there unless I worked at the Summit. Try to avoid 280 if you can.

Totally unrelated, I glanced over the match list and noticed there were around 150 (156 I believe) people who were matched today. If the class size is around 175, where are the other 20 people?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for veterans of this forum, Do Alabama schools value GPA more or MCAT? Do they take difficulty of UG into account? If someone has low GPA (Engg etc) 3.2, can that be offset with 32+ score. Thanks.
 
Hi, I think that higher MCAT's can offset low GPA's. I do know that they take into account the difficulty of the school. I've often heard of Sewanee as an example. Apparently a B there is like an A+ anywhere else.
 
Question for veterans of this forum, Do Alabama schools value GPA more or MCAT? Do they take difficulty of UG into account? If someone has low GPA (Engg etc) 3.2, can that be offset with 32+ score. Thanks.

FWIW, I'm a first time reapplicant.

You're not giving enough info. GPA + MCAT are important, but so are your ECs, personal statement, interviews, LORs, etc. I think it's already been pointed out in this thread that UASOM uses GPA and MCAT to determine 50% of your score and the other stuff to fill out the remainder. Average for UASOM accepted students (or is it matriculated?) is about a 3.7 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT. So, a 3.2 puts you behind the curve, but a 32+ helps offset that a bit.

It is not impossible to get in with a 3.2 & 32+, but be sure that your fulfilling other expectations-- ample meaningful clinical experiences/shadowing, volunteering, leadership, etc. Also, if you haven't taken a real MCAT yet, be fair to yourself. Don't assume that since you scored in the 99th percentile on the SAT you'll do the same on the MCAT. I took my first MCAT cold and it really served as a wake-up call. I'm a smart guy, but so is everyone else considering a career in medicine. Take practice tests, assess your weaknesses, study hard.

Best of luck to you. 👍
 
So I made my day-long apartment excursion today.

Highlights:
-Redmont Gardens ($) window A/C units, built 1938...hmm
-Overlook at Homewood (?) drove through, looked nice
-Mayfair Apartments ($$$) nice, just renovated
-Park Lane Apartments ($$) solid. great location. no washer/dryer hookup, though. lots of old folks
-Lake Shore Ridge very nice, brand new ($$$)
-Cameron at the Summit ($$$) close to the summit, still new
-Hermitage (?) looked okay. didn't see a leasing office

Thoughts?

Dont live at the Summit I know a girl who used to live there and the units aren't really that nice and they are wicked expensive plus you will be volunteering yourself into 280 traffic hell.
 
Question for veterans of this forum, Do Alabama schools value GPA more or MCAT? Do they take difficulty of UG into account? If someone has low GPA (Engg etc) 3.2, can that be offset with 32+ score. Thanks.


http://www.uasom.uab.edu/PublicDocuments/Admissions/Assessment.pdf

That is how they break it down. GPA/MCAT are important but in that 50% is also your committee letter and the school you went to (like someone said earlier, a 3.2 at MIT > 3.7 at Huntington). The other half is the subjective stuff like who you are.

This is all speculation based off of bits of information but it seems to help make sense of an otherwise nonsensical process.
 
Highlights:
-Redmont Gardens ($) window A/C units, built 1938...hmm
-Overlook at Homewood (?) drove through, looked nice
-Mayfair Apartments ($$$) nice, just renovated
-Park Lane Apartments ($$) solid. great location. no washer/dryer hookup, though. lots of old folks
-Lake Shore Ridge very nice, brand new ($$$)
-Cameron at the Summit ($$$) close to the summit, still new
-Hermitage (?) looked okay. didn't see a leasing office

Redmont Gardens - Don't automatically dismiss a place because it was built before the invasion of Poland. My girlfriend has a 2BR place on the first floor, and they have an amazing parquet floor and lots of space. I'll admit that the window units are pretty redneck-looking, but they are the newer, remote-control variety and keep the place very cool. Some of the apartments are better than others, though. Bottom line--arrange an appointment and see what they have to offer.

Overlook at Homewood - A friend of mine lived there and he hated it. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you should stay away from any apartment on Valley Avenue or Palisades.

Park Lane - I almost rented one of these when I moved to Bham 3 years ago, and I'm glad I didn't. They are full of old people, and I actually didn't care for the location. Pretty expensive for what you get, too.

Cameron at the Summit - I'm in complete agreement with VanBrown.


If you can find someone else to live with, I highly recommend looking for a house to rent. My best friends live in a 3BR house in Crestline that rents for 900 a month. Even after utilities, I think each person still only pays about 400. If you look at this area on a map, you'll think it's too far away from UAB. However, Montclair is one of the few roads in Birmingham that I actually don't mind driving--you can get from the far end of Crestline to Southside/UAB in about 6-7 minutes in the morning.

That's just Crestline, though. There are lots of houses for rent in Homewood, Mountain Brook, and Southside. Just hit up Craigslist or look at one of UAB's newspapers online (The Reporter or The Kaleidoscope).
 
If you can find someone else to live with, I highly recommend looking for a house to rent. My best friends live in a 3BR house in Crestline that rents for 900 a month. Even after utilities, I think each person still only pays about 400. If you look at this area on a map, you'll think it's too far away from UAB. However, Montclair is one of the few roads in Birmingham that I actually don't mind driving--you can get from the far end of Crestline to Southside/UAB in about 6-7 minutes in the morning.

I'm not a B'ham native (Huntsvillain here), but I completely agree with the idea of a house over an apartment. My wife and I own a couple of houses in HSV that we rent and it really does work out well for our renters. Here in HSV, you can get a 3 bedroom 1 bath in a quiet neighborhood 5 minutes from the Hospital for about $750/mo. Probably less if you look around. Figure utilities at $250/mo for your WORST month (not including cable and internet-- $15/mo for Bellsouth DSL-Lite). That puts you at $1000/mo cold/hot months and probably $900/mo milder months. There you'd be paying between $300 and $335/mo with two roommates.

$350/mo over 4 yrs with no interest considered = $16,800 to pay back
$500/mo = $24,000
$750/mo = $36,000
$1000/mo = $48,000

Couple of tips from a landlord:

- Check-out the neighborhood. Seriously. Drive around it at night, especially a Friday or Saturday night before you sign a contract. Look for rolling meth labs, previously exploded rolling meth labs, backyards with an excessive number of pitbulls (n>0), metal bars on the window, metal bars peeled back from the windows of a home like the petals of flower because of last night's kitchen meth lab explosion, and 1200 sq ft homes with 468 fraternity brothers pouring out of the windows and onto the three couches they keep in their front yard.

- Talk with your potential neighbors. They won't be upset with you for stopping by and saying, "Hey, I'm XXXX and I'm a medical student. I'm thinking about renting this house next door, could I get you to tell me about the neighborhood?" This can yield mountains of good info. It doesn't hurt to ask, "Can you hear the freaking train from your bedroom at oh-dark-thirty in the morning?"

- Ask to see utility bills. If they give you bills for March and April, figure 50-75% higher electric for August and January. If April's electric bill was $6,724 somebody was growing pot in the utility room. The police will be along shortly to kick in your door and shoot your poodle.

- If you're reasonably handy, ask to check-out the crawlspace. (Or, just go do it. You're considering throwing a lot of money at this rental so you really need to know what you can.) Look, smell, and feel for leaky pipes, bad odors, and drafts from disconnected ductwork. These can add up to expensive utility bills and comfort issues. Dead rats in the crawlspace indicate a previous unsanitary renter. Seriously. If you see anything like that, check the house over carefully for signs of mice, rats, and bugs.

- Read your contract. Follow it. Seriously. Nothing ticks me off worse than clearly stating that we don't allow smoking/pets/whatever, then having the lessee read the contract and sign it, and then come to find out in the middle of their lease that they have a gigantic bloodhound living in the house. Even worse when that bloodhound turns out to be a chain-smoker, but I digress. Doing stupid stuff like that will quickly lose your deposit. And no, that $750 deposit will NOT fully cover the carpet and paint I have to replace.

- Stay in contact with your management agency and/or landlord, especially on maintenance issues. If something begins to fail, works improperly, or breaks, tell them immediately! When a problem is left to sit for half of the lease-period it can become difficult to determine whether the renter may have contributed to or caused the problem. It is much easier to trust someone who says, "The door started sticking today" than the renter who moves out only to leave me with a sticking door with boot-prints all over it from somebody kicking it to make it unstick. Did that renter cause the problem? They certainly didn't tell me about it, and kicking the door didn't help. It would have taken less than an hour for me to fix, and that would have prevented the $600 replacement of a bent metal exterior door and frame.

Wow. This post somehow just became war and peace. 😱 Sorry. </rant>
 
ferreed,thanks for the info! Hopefully I get to the point of house-shopping eventually🙂

On the other hand,are we kind of expecting news today? I'd say mid-March is here...
 
ferreed,thanks for the info! Hopefully I get to the point of house-shopping eventually🙂

On the other hand,are we kind of expecting news today? I'd say mid-March is here...

No problem.

I'm reserved about today. Given that yesterday was Match Day, I think it is likely (as others have suggested) that the folks at UASOM have been staying busy with the Match. So, I am preparing myself for another week of waiting. Of course, it really wouldn't hurt my feelings to get some news today. 🙂
 
Very informative and hilarious Dennis Miller-esque rant, ferreed.

My only suggestion about housing in Birmingham is to live close to what you like. If you're the type of person who prefers to live further away from campus but you feel like you could still maintain a pretty active social life (if that's important to you) then you have a lot more options than if you'd rather live close to campus and have all the perks that come with that at your fingertips. Personally, I would rather live close to UAB and have the luxury of going out to a bar to have a few drinks, meeting up with some friends near campus, or if you're a night-hawk like me, leaving the library at 3AM and not worrying about driving home. But, of course, living further away has its benefits as well, like spending less money on housing and some peace and quiet on Fri/Sat nights. BTW, professors at UASOM usually have their end-of-block-X exams on Saturdays, because they're terrible people.

I feel like in the spirit of March Madness we should hold some kind of tournament-style competition to see who can guess when the bulk of the decisions come out. I have my money on late next week, but I'd be more than happy to eat my own shoe and have the decisions come out today.
 
I feel like in the spirit of March Madness we should hold some kind of tournament-style competition to see who can guess when the bulk of the decisions come out. I have my money on late next week, but I'd be more than happy to eat my own shoe and have the decisions come out today.

I'm in. I'm calling it next Thursday, 26 March 2009, at 1:35pm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad