-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!
Started by DoctorPardi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Wow, you guys have been busy already this morning. I slept in an attempt to avoid thinking about this. I'm seriously having nightmares over it.
Anyways, put me in for Friday, March 27, 2009 1:35 pm.
Anyways, put me in for Friday, March 27, 2009 1:35 pm.
Hi guys,
I just got an email from Dr. Carter at the Huntsville campus. We had been emailing back and forth trying to schedule a visit for me and I hadn't heard from her since Monday morning when I asked if I could pretty please come this week so that I could submit my campus preference.
She said she was sorry that we couldn't work something out this week but that they had been extremely busy with Match Day. So, I'm thinking we won't find out anything until next week. It sounds like they just haven't had time with everything else going on.
Sarah
I just got an email from Dr. Carter at the Huntsville campus. We had been emailing back and forth trying to schedule a visit for me and I hadn't heard from her since Monday morning when I asked if I could pretty please come this week so that I could submit my campus preference.
She said she was sorry that we couldn't work something out this week but that they had been extremely busy with Match Day. So, I'm thinking we won't find out anything until next week. It sounds like they just haven't had time with everything else going on.
Sarah
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I regret to inform everyone that I have bad news. I called the admissions office this morning and talked to Amanda Dawson, the program manager for admissions. She told me that all regular admission decisions have been made and those who are accepted have been notified.
Late next week they will send out the alternate list and rejections. She did say that they are expecting a substantial amount of movement off the waitlist this year based on decisions they made during the admissions cycle. There is no set number of people who get put on the waitlist but she expects that the top third and half of the middle third will wind up being accepted.
Sorry to be the one to tell you guys this. I wish it were different.
Late next week they will send out the alternate list and rejections. She did say that they are expecting a substantial amount of movement off the waitlist this year based on decisions they made during the admissions cycle. There is no set number of people who get put on the waitlist but she expects that the top third and half of the middle third will wind up being accepted.
Sorry to be the one to tell you guys this. I wish it were different.
Are you sure? Maybe somebody should contact Julie Calma. I have a hard time believing that all six applicants from my school were rejected.
Not the end of the world.
So...does anyone know how many people UAB usually puts on the alternate list? I know that South AL's list is pretty short; I think I remember Mark Scott saying it was something like 20 or 30.
So...does anyone know how many people UAB usually puts on the alternate list? I know that South AL's list is pretty short; I think I remember Mark Scott saying it was something like 20 or 30.
Good to know, but it doesn't change my outlook or how I proceed from here. It's not over until it's over. When it is over for this year, I'll either be an MS-1 or I'll get to work assessing my profile, working to improve it, and preparing to reapply.
As always, best of luck to us all.
As always, best of luck to us all.
For what it's worth I tried calling J.C. but she wasn't there. Probably at lunch. I'll try again later.
Is anybody on here planning on re-applying this next cycle if they are rejected?
Yes.
Yes.
Yeah, me too. I just worry about having enough time to substantially improve my application over the next few months.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, me too. I just worry about having enough time to substantially improve my application over the next few months.
That's the real catch, isn't it? I'll continue to volunteer, shadow, and do everything else I do. I'll update my personal statement and strengthen it, look for additional LORs, and enroll in more coursework. I'll be sure to apprise UASOM of the work I will be doing between AMCAS submission and secondaries, interviews, etc., and will send updates when appropriate.
Do what you can when you can and stay in the game.
Your list makes me tired!
Just got another email from Dr. Carter... Surely the game isn't over?
Just got another email from Dr. Carter... Surely the game isn't over?
Not that this means anything, but the UASOM 2013 facebook group has 35 members, and has remained relatively static for the last month or so. Not that this is any official indicator, but the class of 2012 had a much larger roster pretty quickly after all acceptances were out. I think we may have been punked here.
Your list makes me tired!
Just got another email from Dr. Carter... Surely the game isn't over?
Of course not. Don't start thinking that way.
Even if they have 176/176 acceptances handed out, some of those will drop before matriculation. The openings will be filled from the waitlist as they occur.
This is not over until you receive an official rejection, and even then there is always next year.
Not that this means anything, but the UASOM 2013 facebook group has 35 members, and has remained relatively static for the last month or so. Not that this is any official indicator, but the class of 2012 had a much larger roster pretty quickly after all acceptances were out. I think we may have been punked here.
I tend to agree. At my interview session (in February), Dean Smith seemed to indicate that only a fraction of the total acceptances had already gone out and that the class wouldn't be filled until March/April some time. I may be misremembering, but that seems like something that would stick in my head.
If this is a punking, that ain't cool.

Should I email Dr. Carter back and ask her? I don't know her and I don't want to cross some invisible line of appropriateness but she would know...
Hey everyone, I have news from USASOM.
I talked with Mark Scott today and he is in the process of "lowering the score" today and Monday. Interviews are completed. Some, but few, acceptances have already gone out, but only to the top applicants. The remainder of the class acceptance letters are not out yet. He should know everyone's rank by the end of next week and acceptances will go out then. So good luck to everyone! I am so ready to just have an answer!
I talked with Mark Scott today and he is in the process of "lowering the score" today and Monday. Interviews are completed. Some, but few, acceptances have already gone out, but only to the top applicants. The remainder of the class acceptance letters are not out yet. He should know everyone's rank by the end of next week and acceptances will go out then. So good luck to everyone! I am so ready to just have an answer!
Not that this means anything, but the UASOM 2013 facebook group has 35 members, and has remained relatively static for the last month or so. Not that this is any official indicator, but the class of 2012 had a much larger roster pretty quickly after all acceptances were out. I think we may have been punked here.
How did you know how quickly the class of 2012 facebook group filled up right after acceptances?
Hey everyone, I have news from USASOM.
I talked with Mark Scott today and he is in the process of "lowering the score" today and Monday. Interviews are completed. Some, but few, acceptances have already gone out, but only to the top applicants. The remainder of the class acceptance letters are not out yet. He should know everyone's rank by the end of next week and acceptances will go out then. So good luck to everyone! I am so ready to just have an answer!



I really like Mobile.
Should I email Dr. Carter back and ask her? I don't know her and I don't want to cross some invisible line of appropriateness but she would know...
Is Dr. Carter in charge of the Huntsville satellite campus? If yes, I wouldn't ask her because she may not be plugged-into that pipeline. I'd ask Julie Calma instead, but I already decided I'm not going to call or email about this. I'm not going to worry because it will not change the outcome.
I regret to inform everyone that I have bad news. I called the admissions office this morning and talked to Amanda Dawson, the program manager for admissions. She told me that all regular admission decisions have been made and those who are accepted have been notified.
Late next week they will send out the alternate list and rejections. She did say that they are expecting a substantial amount of movement off the waitlist this year based on decisions they made during the admissions cycle. There is no set number of people who get put on the waitlist but she expects that the top third and half of the middle third will wind up being accepted.
Sorry to be the one to tell you guys this. I wish it were different.
This seems consistent with the timing for last year's rejections/waitlist offers. Page 14 of this thread if anyone is interested.
I decided not to ask Dr. C. because I don't really know her. I am going to try J.C. later because I just want to know either way. Ironically I'm leaving for B'ham in five minutes with my mom to look at Dennman for my brother. Sigh.
This thread has been on fire lately, btw.
Hey Doc Bama, this is in no way to call you out or anything, but weren't you accepted back in October? Why were you calling Amanda? I know I wouldn't be doing so if I had already been accepted. Just curious.
I'm still very interested in the UAB admissions outcome because my girlfriend is also applying this round. She has not been accepted. I hope she gets a good waitlist spot.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread has been on fire lately, btw.
Indeed it is.
Does anyone plan on verifying the previous claim that the class is filled?
Indeed it is.
Does anyone plan on verifying the previous claim that the class is filled?
The regular admissions letters have been mailed out. This does not mean that others will not be accepted. Amanda seemed to be indicating that there will be many accepted off the waitlist compared to other years. I take that to mean anywhere from 20-40 people. Just a guess though.
Someone please feel free to verify if you do not believe me. I just thought you guys would prefer to know this sooner rather than later.
Yes, I have been lurking on this forum for a while as my girlfriend is also applying... She's from huntsville as well.
Her stats are 3.83 GPA, 30 MCAT with shadowing, volunteering, and research.
She was accepted the day after the interview to South, but of course, like a lot of us who are fidgeting about admissions, she hasn't heard anything from UAB yet.
Good luck to everyone! I'm rooting all of you! Lets hope all of us (well, not including me since I'm not the one applying) make it!
I'm not sure how to take this, on one hand, with those stats, UAB certainly must be planning on accepting people like your GF. On the other hand, though, a 3.8/30 may be my waitlist competition
. I would prefer to be competing with a 3.5/28, haha.For what its worth, my girlfriends stats are 32M, 3.6 overall, 3.86 BCMP. Non-traditional, some clinical research, volunteering, shadowing, etc. It is shocking to me that she and many others on this thread have not been accepted already based on UAB's averages. Who knows what they are looking for.
well you have to remember when looking at this objectively: They are looking for more than just numbers. There were 2500 applicants to UASOM last year. Who knows how many 30+ and 3.7 or 3.8 GPA's they saw. They want to see something that sets you apart from the other applicants. They don't want to know if you can do the grunt work to become a doctor, but are you someone that they would want as their doctor? It comes down to a lot more than numbers, but based more on their judgement of your character as you interview. Just my 2 cents. That's what one of my interviewers told me.
well you have to remember when looking at this objectively: They are looking for more than just numbers. There were 2500 applicants to UASOM last year. Who knows how many 30+ and 3.7 or 3.8 GPA's they saw. They want to see something that sets you apart from the other applicants. They don't want to know if you can do the grunt work to become a doctor, but are you someone that they would want as their doctor? It comes down to a lot more than numbers, but based more on their judgement of your character as you interview. Just my 2 cents. That's what one of my interviewers told me.
That may be true, but most people on here are Alabama residents, of which there are less that 500 applicants. Furthermore, if you are an Alabama resident and you received an interview (which this description fits most people on this thread) then you have between a 60% and 70% of being accepted. Roughly, each year around 300 Alabama residents are interview and about 200 are eventually accepted. I may be totally off here, but I really don't think there are too many Alabama residents with a 30+/3.7+ being rejected from UAB unless they totally blew their interview.
Last edited:
I regret to inform everyone that I have bad news. I called the admissions office this morning and talked to Amanda Dawson, the program manager for admissions. She told me that all regular admission decisions have been made and those who are accepted have been notified.
Late next week they will send out the alternate list and rejections. She did say that they are expecting a substantial amount of movement off the waitlist this year based on decisions they made during the admissions cycle. There is no set number of people who get put on the waitlist but she expects that the top third and half of the middle third will wind up being accepted.
Sorry to be the one to tell you guys this. I wish it were different.
Well that's pretty depressing news. I'm starting to become less and less optimistic as March goes on. I'm not sure how you guys are feeling but I feel that my chances are getting pretty slim.
Hi all, in B'ham at Dennman (stole a computer) called Admissions, got the same person, Julie's gone, apparently it's true though. Waitlist info next week.
Well... that royally sucks...
Hi all, in B'ham at Dennman (stole a computer) called Admissions, got the same person, Julie's gone, apparently it's true though. Waitlist info next week.
Thanks for the info, Sarah. We all still have a shot, so don't let this get you down.
Well today has been a total bummer. On the plus side, all signs point towards SOME kind of news next week. Then again, it's going to be a long week.Hi all, in B'ham at Dennman (stole a computer) called Admissions, got the same person, Julie's gone, apparently it's true though. Waitlist info next week.
Hi all, in B'ham at Dennman (stole a computer) called Admissions, got the same person, Julie's gone, apparently it's true though. Waitlist info next week.
Stole a computer, huh? 😉
Hey guys,
I'm back. Denman was, um, wow, really bad. I knew it would be as soon as I walked in the housing office there. That being said, the trip was still somewhat productive.
I was talking to the housing dude and he said that his girlfriend also applied to UAB for medical school next year and that she got an actual rejection email yesterday. So at least that hasn't happened to us yet. And it turns out that he and his girlfriend know a few people that I know who might know more than we do and he sent some texts but nobody is around after match week.
I don't know at this point. And while I know what we've all been told, my friend pointed out that it could be like when companies are trying to dispel rumors or mergers, etc. and even people with titles are given a "party line" to repeat. I don't kow what the point would be, but who knows. It could happen. I will say that nobody from our school has been offered anything and I still think that is bizarre.
Anyways, after the tour I went with my mom and bro to J. Clyde for hummus and a beer. 'Twas good.
But worse comes to worse, you guys can come mop the floors with me and Derek.
I'm back. Denman was, um, wow, really bad. I knew it would be as soon as I walked in the housing office there. That being said, the trip was still somewhat productive.
I was talking to the housing dude and he said that his girlfriend also applied to UAB for medical school next year and that she got an actual rejection email yesterday. So at least that hasn't happened to us yet. And it turns out that he and his girlfriend know a few people that I know who might know more than we do and he sent some texts but nobody is around after match week.
I don't know at this point. And while I know what we've all been told, my friend pointed out that it could be like when companies are trying to dispel rumors or mergers, etc. and even people with titles are given a "party line" to repeat. I don't kow what the point would be, but who knows. It could happen. I will say that nobody from our school has been offered anything and I still think that is bizarre.
Anyways, after the tour I went with my mom and bro to J. Clyde for hummus and a beer. 'Twas good.
But worse comes to worse, you guys can come mop the floors with me and Derek.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it turns out that he and his girlfriend know a few people that I know who might know more than we do
That's a lot of knowledge🙂
Do you know if his girlfriend got an interview? I don't know if that was a given...
I'm not going to think that any decisions have been made until I see a letter in my inbox. That being said,guess it's back to the pre-interview job search.
Did anyone else peruse the three epic threads started (but promptly locked) by premeddiva?
That's a lot of knowledge🙂
Do you know if his girlfriend got an interview? I don't know if that was a given...
Yes, she did. She's a UAB student.
Did anyone else peruse the three epic threads started (but promptly locked) by premeddiva?
No, was there something interesting there? Do tell...
No, was there something interesting there? Do tell...
1st one http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=612237
2nd one http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=612256
3rd one http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=612259
4th one http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=612276
Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K