Alabama vs. Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountain Cow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my decision isn't quite as dramatic as WaltzingMatilda's (all the best to her as she decides), but I've gathered about as much info as I will be able to and still find it difficult to make a decision. Please share your thoughts if you think they might help.

UAB: I'm highly impressed by UAB's program (med school, administration, research, facilities). There is a great assortment of faculty that I would love to work with. I have never lived in the south and I'm curious to experience the culture and spend some time in warmer side of the country. The "peer-prestige" is lower (meaning the word Alabama puts strange expressions on the faces of my friends), but I'm not joining a MSTP to impress my friends. Major drawback is comparative lack of recreation opportunities (at least for what I like to do). They have a great gym next to the med school that would help, but if the city just had a decent skate park or was more bike friendly I think it would be more appealing.

Colorado: The new campus/facilities are amazing, amazing, amazing. There is some neat research going on here too. Although not quite as many PI's I want to work with, there are plenty to choose from and I only need to find one lab thats a good fit. In contrast to Birmingham, this is my dream playland. Mountains are a little distance, but plenty of outdoor activities I would like to do. Yes, yes, I realize the main point is to be a physician scientist (I still like to play like a little kid).

I could get great training at either school. Perhaps I could focus more at UAB but still find enough ways to play in the little free time I will have. Or I could go to the mountains. After all, my name is Mountain Cow. Time for me to stop vacillating. :zip:

Members don't see this ad.

read your own post and i think you'll see the answer (Colorado)

best of luck! i know you'll do great whichever you choose!

read your own post and i think you'll see the answer (Colorado)

best of luck! i know you'll do great whichever you choose!

Thanks J

My research interests are mucosal immunology and metabolism/obesity/diabetes (I know they are not that closely related. I have a nutrition background and have also done immunology research). Right now I'm slightly more interested in mucosal immunology, which UAB is stronger in. I'm not sure if I'm giving too much weight to skate parks and bike lanes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with J. It sounds like you will be much happier at Colorado and if the difference in research isn't too big it's perfectly fine to pick based on location.

Thanks J

My research interests are mucosal immunology and metabolism/obesity/diabetes (I know they are not that closely related. I have a nutrition background and have also done immunology research). Right now I'm slightly more interested in mucosal immunology, which UAB is stronger in. I'm not sure if I'm giving too much weight to skate parks and bike lanes.

Although research strength is important, you have the rest of your professional life to research whatever your heart desires. I say go with the school you'll be happiest at. You'll get great training to learn how to think like a researcher (and that's the most important thing) at either institution - can't go wrong. Go with the best program for you... if that means you want a better environment then by all means, weight the non-school activities heavily

8 years is too long to be miserable

Definitely Colorado... you have to live there for 8 years, it seems like the cooler place should win, all other things being mostly equal.

Seriously, though, do you guys know if where you do your MSTP is really a predictor of future success? It seems like most residencies open up to you after you finish, regardless of where you trained, and then it seems like your residency becomes the dominating factor... I kind of think that people overemphasize the prestige of the programs and underemphasize a lot of really practical stuff, like happiness and domestic stability.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I'm not obsessively checking my mail for some message from Harvard, even though I'm not convinced that I would be happy there at all...

Definitely Colorado... you have to live there for 8 years, it seems like the cooler place should win, all other things being mostly equal.

Seriously, though, do you guys know if where you do your MSTP is really a predictor of future success? It seems like most residencies open up to you after you finish, regardless of where you trained, and then it seems like your residency becomes the dominating factor... I kind of think that people overemphasize the prestige of the programs and underemphasize a lot of really practical stuff, like happiness and domestic stability.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I'm not obsessively checking my mail for some message from Harvard, even though I'm not convinced that I would be happy there at all...

I think it does make a difference although less so than if you were MD-only at the respective schools. This is much more pronounced for the most competitive residencies though I think. However, MSTP schools are all very good medical schools so I think coming out of any MSTP you are well placed to get a good residency.

I'm also juggling prestige vs. environment and I think this is a common battle. I guess it's up to the individual to determine what's more important to them.

MC, I didn't get to see you at your revisit, but I would talk to Travis Lewis if you get the chance about biking and the outdoors in Alabama. Again, we're not going to convince you that you can go skiing anytime you want, but I'm sure there's something that will fit your interests, skate park (which, incidentally there are some in town) or not.

Caveats: who you work for and your publication record also has a say not in residency selection, but postdoc and future faculty position. Also, departmental reputation differences between institutions may be important i.e. School A has crappy Dermatology (or no Derm program) but School B has top ranked Derm. But in general, PhDs are helpful on the way to obtaining your residency position of choice, regardless of department. One other thing to note is that a PhD is not a guarantee that you will receive interviews everywhere you want - there simply too many of us graduating now.

As far as happiness is concerned, once you get into graduate work, your happiness quotient will drop, no matter where you are ^_^ (www.phdcomics.com)

Go where you'll be happy for the next 8-10 years, and don't sweat "#4 this", and "#8 that" so much.

The fact that it is MSTP alone already bodes to the fact that it is recognized as a top tier program.

Personally, I think your choice of mentor will factor much more into the success of your career than US News said "blah blah blah."

It's definately a good idea to do your homework and study up on some labs you are interested in before heading in, but you also might be surprised how much your interests change once you get into things and start getting your hands dirty. Mine changed several times throughout the course of my rotations, and I probably would have never guessed I'd end up doing what I am now.

You got a long time and a lot of things to worry about between now and then, so go where you will be most happy, focus on choosing a world-class mentor, and try to kick some ser *** on your boards.

I guess I must be miserable then :laugh:.

I didn't mean that Alabama would make him miserable for 8 years! I too am from the dirty south. What I meant was that if you're choosing between happiness and reputation, choose happiness.

I think Ariodant said it best in the other thread - basically you can't predict future happiness since so much is dependent on microenvironment... I think these situations are when your 'gut instinct' should have the largest influence - over thinking this decision could have you end up making the wrong decision

Thanks everyone. As always, your perspectives are helpful.