Albert Einstein IM: Which Campus is Best??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juicebox

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which is the primary campus for Einstein Medicine? Beth Israel? Montefiore? Jacobi? Not clear which one is most desirable and/or most highly respected.... originally I thought it was Beth Israel but their location on 1st avenue and 16th looks rather small....

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know which is the primary campus for Einstein Medicine? Beth Israel? Montefiore? Jacobi? Not clear which one is most desirable and/or most highly respected.... originally I thought it was Beth Israel but their location on 1st avenue and 16th looks rather small....

Thanks

Monte is the Univ Program. Residents rotate there, Einstein and 1 or 2 months a year at Jacobi. Jacobi residents have essentially the reverse schedule (most months @ Jacobi and a few at Einstein and Monte). BI is a community program w/ a Univ affiliation.

Note, I applied 2 yrs ago so this info may be out of date WRT rotations between the hospitals but it's pretty close.

By community you mean less of a teaching/academic institution, or is that just a nice way of saying less prestigious??

Also, if you had to choose between the University programs of Montefiore and Jacobi, which would it be?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
The Einstein Campuses can be confusing, but hopefully I can give you some helpful information.

Montefiore is the main teaching hospital of Einstein. It's more prestigious, and the residents rotate at Montefiore, Weiler (attached to the Einstein med school), and 1 month at Jacobi each year. This one is the hardest to get into.

Jacobi is across the street from Einstein med school. It's a city hospital, and is much smaller than Monte. You'll find a lot of FMG's there, and they also have a Shabbas program, which attracts a lot of the orthodox Jewish students looking for a program that accomodates their schedule. It's not as competitive as Montefiore to get into, but the attendings are really excellent, since many of them are older physicians who have been at Einstein for 50+ years. The residents rotate mostly at jacobi, with a couple months at Weiler (they do not rotate at Montefiore).

Beth Israel is the Manhattan satellite of Einstein. From what understand, it's more community based- with less attending teaching, but it's in a fantastic location, so a lot of students choose to go there for residency.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM with more questions.

Moo35.

By community you mean less of a teaching/academic institution, or is that just a nice way of saying less prestigious??

I mean it's a community program, not a university program. Lots of people like it and it's probably the cushest prelim medicine program in NYC.

Also, if you had to choose between the University programs of Montefiore and Jacobi, which would it be?

Monte. Jacobi's sort of a weird hybrid program that's neither truly academic or truly community but if I were more clinically inclined I'd be less sure about that decision.

Thanks
Montefiore is the hardest to get into, I know a couple of residents there and they are top-notch

gutonc, can you comment more on the prelim medicine at jacobi? what makes it the cushiest and how is it compared to others in nyc?

I'm confused. I thought Beth Israel was a university program, not a community. At least it is listed this way in FRIEDA

gutonc, can you comment more on the prelim medicine at jacobi? what makes it the cushiest and how is it compared to others in nyc?

I was commenting on prelim at BI, not Jacobi. I have no idea what makes it cush exactly since I didn't apply but it's hard as hell to get and is filled w/ people going into derm and rad onc. I have a friend (PhD, AOA) who didn't even get an interview there but still matched in Derm.

I'm confused. I thought Beth Israel was a university program, not a community. At least it is listed this way in FRIEDA

They can call it whatever they want. The reality is that it's a university affiliated community program. I'm not trying to take anything away from it, I've met some of their residents on the fellowship interview trail and they seem as solid as any I know, just pointing out the type of program it is since people are so hung up on that distinction.

Having said that, given the number of medical schools there are in NYC, virtually all of the community programs in NYC have some sort of "university affiliation" and will tout this in their recruiting info. Caveat emptor.