Alcohol and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ioriscrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few threads about this topic but I think my context may be a little unique so I thought I would ask.

I am an undergraduate senior who has recently been accepted to medical school (Loyola) and, naturally, I'm excited. My question is basically this: How much do students drink in medical school and how accepting are they of non-drinkers?

Believe it or not, I have actually made it through undergrad without ever drinking alcohol. I avoided it mostly because my school has kind of a heavy drinking and partying scene and I didn't want to get pressured into something I'd regret, and also there is a history of alcoholism in my family so I'm somewhat paranoid. I don't really have a problem with people drinking, and I wouldn't mind just sitting at a bar with some friends and talking over some drinks without getting wasted. The problem is, I have some bad memories from my undergraduate experience and I'm a little wary going into medical school if it is going to be the same.

I realize I'm probably worrying about this more than I should, and I hope I don't come off as judgemental of people who do drink. I greatly appreciate honest input on this issue. Thank you, and have a good holiday.

Members don't see this ad.

People don't change just because they got into med school.

Last edited:
I've seen a few threads about this topic but I think my context may be a little unique so I thought I would ask.

I am an undergraduate senior who has recently been accepted to medical school (Loyola) and, naturally, I'm excited. My question is basically this: How much do students drink in medical school and how accepting are they of non-drinkers?

Believe it or not, I have actually made it through undergrad without ever drinking alcohol. I avoided it mostly because my school has kind of a heavy drinking and partying scene and I didn't want to get pressured into something I'd regret, and also there is a history of alcoholism in my family so I'm somewhat paranoid. I don't really have a problem with people drinking, and I wouldn't mind just sitting at a bar with some friends and talking over some drinks without getting wasted. The problem is, I have some bad memories from my undergraduate experience and I'm a little wary going into medical school if it is going to be the same.

I realize I'm probably worrying about this more than I should, and I hope I don't come off as judgemental of people who do drink. I greatly appreciate honest input on this issue. Thank you, and have a good holiday.

I would imagine it is extremely variable between classes and locations...my class likes to have a good time after exams or on the rare free weekend...

I am a non-drinker and nobody cares...at all. Nobody makes any comments about it or even asks me about it usually. On the rare occasion I decide to go out with my class mates the conversation usually goes something like this: Classmate: "You want a beer?" Me: "No thanks, I'm good." Classmate: "Cool man, drinks are in the *insert random location here* if you change your mind."

Members don't see this ad :)
What difference does it make? Even if everyone here told you that 99% of med students get blackout drunk every weekend, it's not like you're going to change your mind about attending. You just have to deal with your classmates' drinking behavior the same way you dealt with it in undergrad. And if they don't accept you because you don't drink, you're better off without them. Put things in perspective...this is supposed to be the time when you breath a huge sigh of relief, kick back, and take pleasure in the fact that you've accomplished a major goal in your life. Why spoil it by worrying about something this inconsequential?

I partied hard and often in undergrad up until I met my current girlfriend during my senior year and she settled me down quite a bit. We still go out on occasion (probably once a month) but it pales in comparison to getting loaded 3+ nights a week. I haven't had any problems in med school with feeling too much pressure to drink. I'd rather spend my free time with my girlfriend. It all comes down to what you prioritize. I don't think anyone's gonna pressure you to drink too much. Especially if you tell them you don't think you can handle it (your family history). I mean these are other people who are worried about their future career and how they're going to do as much as anyone else. Don't sweat it. Just do what you gotta do.

What difference does it make? Even if everyone here told you that 99% of med students get blackout drunk every weekend, it's not like you're going to change your mind about attending. You just have to deal with your classmates' drinking behavior the same way you dealt with it in undergrad. And if they don't accept you because you don't drink, you're better off without them. Put things in perspective...this is supposed to be the time when you breath a huge sigh of relief, kick back, and take pleasure in the fact that you've accomplished a major goal in your life. Why spoil it by worrying about something this inconsequential?

Thanks for that. It's easy to forget sometimes how little stuff like this really matters. I really appreciate your response. Have a good break.

Thanks for that. It's easy to forget sometimes how little stuff like this really matters. I really appreciate your response. Have a good break.

I drink. Not as much as some, but more than others. My best friend doesn't drink at all, not a drop. Really, I don't think anyone has ever even really given him a hard time about it. It's his choice, and whatever he chooses we respect it like we'd expect the same.

Would you really not go to med school because too many of the other students drink? I think not.

You will find plenty of other people that don't drink, either for personal or religious reasons. It's probably true that people drink more in med school than undergrad, but its usually the same people drinking, just doing it more often.

People won't think you're weird for not drinking but they will think you're weird if you're antisocial. We have several folks who won't touch the stuff but come to folks' houses for get-togethers or even come out to a bar with us.

People won't care if you don't drink. There are quite a few in our class. One of them drinks soda when she goes out. It must be sort of entertaining or terribly annoying watching your drunk classmates be idiots.

Most of my class goes out a decent amount, especially after exams. We play hard and party harder. I guess NYC gives you that option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fact #1. My first and only drink was freshman orientation in undergrad 44 years ago.

Fact #2. I was the youngest Chief Resident in Surgery in my hospital's history.

Fact #3. I did a Fellowship in Transplant Surgery in a top 5 program.

Fact #4. I am double board certified in General and Transplant Surgery, with subspecialty certificates in pediatric and adult hepatobiliary transplantation.

Fact #5. I haven't had a dink of alcohol or taken any sort or mood altering drug in 44 years.

Feel free to draw whatever correlation from the above facts that you wish.

People wont care if you drink, as long as your not a judgmental douche about it (which is what you saw in those other threads). I have friends who dont drink alot.

The key is to go out when people invite to do things though even if u dont drink. I have some friends who are not big drinkers, but when people invite them out they usually dont go (maybe because they dont want to be around a bunch of drunk people), but what ends up happening is that people just stop inviting them cuz they always say no.

There was a lot of drinking at my med school, however if you're not into that stuff, all you have to say is "No thanks, I don't drink" and find something else to do. I'm certain there will be other people in the class who are non-drinkers, and social opportunities that don't surround alcohol.

Fact #1. My first and only drink was freshman orientation in undergrad 44 years ago.

Fact #4. I am double board certified in General and Transplant Surgery, with subspecialty certificates in pediatric and adult hepatobiliary transplantation.

Fact #5. I haven't had a dink of alcohol or taken any sort or mood altering drug in 44 years.

your cool man :thumbup:

At my school there's the people that like to go out and party and those who don't drink or those who drink but don't like the club/bar scene.

Since we have a pretty small class we made sure to do a variety of things so people don't get left out or feel like they cannot do anything with their classmates.

I was social chair for a couple of years and even though I'm a pretty big partier, in addition to the normal clubbing/bar nights me and my fellow social chairs would organize other things like movie nights, game nights, bbq's, bowling, ski trips etc. Although it wasn't my thing, people took the initiative to organize things like ballet and opera trips.

OP, you should be fine and you also can take it upon yourself to organize non-drinking (or activities where alcohol isn't heavily involved) class activities as well

Sorry, Bacchus, I do care if people drink, especially if they've been partying the night before, and same such med student can't pull his weight holding a Balfour retractor during a five hour repair of a liver laceration suffered by someone with a BAC of 0.23 who wrapped his Harley around a telephone pole.

FACT #6
You're at least 55 and still talk like ^^^^this^^^^^. Maybe you should have drank more.

Yes, but if I had drank more, I would not have had the opportunity to work on a case series that I am writing dealing with six cases of former male college students age 28-35 with end stage liver diseae from the epidemic of college binge drinking in the last 15 years. In fact the M&M conference I recently presented on a 29 year old male with bleeding esophageal varices and hepatic encephalopathy drew a large crowd since many of my peers had never seen a case that young. Tragic if you ask me.

Yes, but if I had drank more, I would not have had the opportunity to work on a case series that I am writing dealing with six cases of former male college students age 28-35 with end stage liver diseae from the epidemic of college binge drinking in the last 15 years. In fact the M&M conference I recently presented on a 29 year old male with bleeding esophageal varices and hepatic encephalopathy drew a large crowd since many of my peers had never seen a case that young. Tragic if you ask me.

14dq81k.jpg

Sorry, Bacchus, I do care if people drink, especially if they've been partying the night before, and same such med student can't pull his weight holding a Balfour retractor during a five hour repair of a liver laceration suffered by someone with a BAC of 0.23 who wrapped his Harley around a telephone pole.

Well obviously that's a different situation. I don't think anyone is advocating heavy drinking the night before a trauma call

I would venture to guess that most med students who drink are not binge drinkers. No one is advocating pounding 10 drinks a night 3 times a week

I would venture to guess that most med students who drink are not binge drinkers. No one is advocating pounding 10 drinks a night 3 times a week

I'm thinking you may be wrong on this one...

Man, you sure sound like fun.

You've also got a pretty sharp memory for what medical school was like considering that it's been 40 years ago.

Then again...
No sympathy here. Vandy resident, IM, 1974-1977. On call q other night. Same for Hopkins residents. 36 on, 12 off. Bags under my eyes have required blepharoplasty, but as a result of my intensive training I can spot a case of Acute Intermittent Porphyria at 50 paces.

Having been through an MD/PhD program that took me nine years to complete, I'd say that grad school is harder due to the uncertainty factor.

I did a Pathology Rotation after my second year as a substitute for one of my Senior Selectives, since clinical experience was not required. 12 weeks of autopsy and surg path was all I needed to make the decision to go into Path. You don't need a whole year. Find a similar program, you will lose zero time from graduation, and knock 12 weekis off of M4 at the same time.
Transplant surgeon, IM, MD/PhD and Path? Very impressive, man. Then again, maybe your memory's not so sharp.

I get that you're probably just a 4th year medical student who is bored and trying to kill time, but if you're going to practice your creative writing skills, at least try to make your online persona a bit internally consistent.

to Ioriscrub> We are of a kind, I don't drink alcohol either, I don't have problem with other people drinking but I never let myself to be persuaded into drinking. Instead of going to pubs, I like to go to the tea shop and play chess.

So heads up, you're certainly not alone!

There are lot of people drinking, especially after exams, but you're all adult there, it's time to start not to give a damn what other people thing.

Man, you sure sound like fun.

You've also got a pretty sharp memory for what medical school was like considering that it's been 40 years ago.

Then again...

Transplant surgeon, IM, MD/PhD and Path? Very impressive, man. Then again, maybe your memory's not so sharp.

I get that you're probably just a 4th year medical student who is bored and trying to kill time, but if you're going to practice your creative writing skills, at least try to make your online persona a bit internally consistent.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm thinking you may be wrong on this one...

Med students can be heavy drinkers but not to the extreme I mentioned. I don't know how one could get thru med school getting drunk 3 times a week

I didnt have any alcohol throughout medical school and now have maybe six drinks (which I'll be honest I rarely finish) each year. My classmates didn't seem to care. There were times I didn't go out with everyone because it was just to go to a bar or something, but overall, you'll find people with whom you enjoy spending time and studying and that will be that.

Dont sweat this stuff, just be who you are and success will find you.

There are great physicians who drink far too much, and great ones who dont at all. Physicians are a group of people who are at risk for substance related diseases so be careful and be there for your friends. With this said, drinking responsibly is all that is necessary.

To Cruzin's point, it is very sad that every year there are some medical students, residents, attendings who have problems with their drinking and some hurt themselves, or hurt their patients. Although it is common, it is still more common that people drink responsibly and their careers are unaffected.

Bottom line...be who you are and have fun learning some cool stuff in medical school!

I actually didn't drink at all in undergrad and I started drinking in medical school. It has more to do with the fact that I just hated the crowd in undergrad and it was slightly classier when I entered med school. Either way I don't binge drink and if I do have a drink it's usually with a group of friends.

Nobody's going to pressure you as a non-drinker to start drinking either. You might not be comfortable at some events to be honest but you won't be pressured to start boozing it up.

You don't even have to go to your class events if you don't want to. It really doesn't matter what you do as long as you're happy and fulfilled. Just thought I'd point that out.

Wow. The tension in that post is palpable. Maybe you should just have a drink already and see if it ruins your life.