All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4043C72B-23C6-40B7-89E7-E593D5B31444.jpeg

My friend brought her new puppy over and my greyhound, Dog, fell in love

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol her actual name is Rhaenys, but she goes by Dog 💚

Reactions: 1 user
Sadie being perfect

Attachments

• 20210601_055037.jpg
    20210601_055037.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
How is Sadie’s diet going?
Mr. Bats definitely thinks she's lost some weight cause he has the job of lifting her into vehicles. Lol. BCS has improved for sure. She comes to work with me in September to get all her things done and I'll get her weight officially then. Thank you for asking!!!

Her energy has gone way up. She actually tries to chase her sister in the back yard!!! It's comical bunny hopes, but I'll take it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Jimmy & Judy living their best lives :D

E79951D3-A686-480F-887D-A20F01838FE0.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
We (well actually my gf) have a new rescue puppy! I'm helping train and keep her during the summer while my gf works since my work schedule is more flexible. She is 12 weeks old and my 1 year old cat isn't too sure about her.

Attachments

• 91245479-C85E-441E-9B55-C42AC3F636B4.jpeg
    91245479-C85E-441E-9B55-C42AC3F636B4.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 02F0E8DB-C1AC-4C08-B564-66DBB31BAD7F.jpeg
    02F0E8DB-C1AC-4C08-B564-66DBB31BAD7F.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Went to the lake to eat my lunch, and there’s a guy here throwing toys for his black lab to retrieve from the water. Makes me miss my Marshall a lot. Labs are the best. ❤️

• Care
  • Love
Went to the lake to eat my lunch, and there’s a guy here throwing toys for his black lab to retrieve from the water. Makes me miss my Marshall a lot. Labs are the best. ❤️
I agree, Labs are the best! I will never live without one :love:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone here ever rehomed a pet? I'm seriously considering rehoming my rats, and it makes me feel like a terrible person. Especially as an aspiring vet, who am I to get rid of pets? I don't feel like I give them the attention they deserve, and I feel kind of overwhelmed cleaning up after them. And if I did end up getting into vet school this cycle, I wouldn't be able to take them with me, so maybe it would be better to rehome them while they're younger? I just feel like those aren't good enough reasons to justify rehoming. :(

I don't feel like I give them the attention they deserve, and I feel kind of overwhelmed cleaning up after them. And if I did end up getting into vet school this cycle, I wouldn't be able to take them with me, so maybe it would be better to rehome them while they're younger
I honestly believe some of the worst pet owners I've ever met have been vet students (and a ton of people in animal industries tbh). I'd absolutely rather someone be self-aware enough to know they are not a good home from a welfare perspective and find a better home, then the animals stay in that home out of a sense of guilt derived from negative societal pressure.

Rehoming is not in of itself inherently bad. Do what's best for your rats!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
200326722_10159458949093189_3460647612322038265_n.jpg
203207711_10159458949073189_445794030557176336_n.jpg

Today was Ducky's first birthday! I made her a "cake" :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Has anyone here ever rehomed a pet? I'm seriously considering rehoming my rats, and it makes me feel like a terrible person. Especially as an aspiring vet, who am I to get rid of pets? I don't feel like I give them the attention they deserve, and I feel kind of overwhelmed cleaning up after them. And if I did end up getting into vet school this cycle, I wouldn't be able to take them with me, so maybe it would be better to rehome them while they're younger? I just feel like those aren't good enough reasons to justify rehoming. :(
Rehoming is not a 'failure.' I think it takes incredible strength to realize that your home may not be the best for that particular animal. I have rehomed two dogs before. The first girl I got from a rescue during vet school. It became abundantly clear that she would not work out in my home due to her history and inability to be crated while I was in class. I had her about 2 months and did try a lot of different options. Ultimately, she went back to the rescue and I presume she found a great home. She was a great girl!
I recently had to rehome my 7 year old golden mix who has had aggression issues since he was about 2 years old. My golden had recently passed (the only dog he respected) and I think that had a lot to do with it. Despite lots of training w/ medical management I finally had to make the heartbreaking decision to rehome him. He had gone after all of my pets MULTIPLE times over the years. He now lives with my sister (almost 1 month) and its been a great fit for them. I miss him greatly and really hope to see him soon. Let me know if you have any questions and if I can help.

• Care
Rehoming is not a 'failure.' I think it takes incredible strength to realize that your home may not be the best for that particular animal. I have rehomed two dogs before. The first girl I got from a rescue during vet school. It became abundantly clear that she would not work out in my home due to her history and inability to be crated while I was in class. I had her about 2 months and did try a lot of different options. Ultimately, she went back to the rescue and I presume she found a great home. She was a great girl!
I recently had to rehome my 7 year old golden mix who has had aggression issues since he was about 2 years old. My golden had recently passed (the only dog he respected) and I think that had a lot to do with it. Despite lots of training w/ medical management I finally had to make the heartbreaking decision to rehome him. He had gone after all of my pets MULTIPLE times over the years. He now lives with my sister (almost 1 month) and its been a great fit for them. I miss him greatly and really hope to see him soon. Let me know if you have any questions and if I can help.
This this this. I'm in shelter med and a big frustration of mine is trying to villainize people who have the insight to acknowledge that an animal is not a good fit in their home. There is no reason to be ****ty about it. Every animal does not belong in every home, we just want to place an animal in the RIGHT home for THEM. We implicitly understand this when we advertise things like "this animal may not do well in a home with small children" or even just advising people to look into lower energy breeds of dogs. It's a big reason why I like foster to adopt programs, because people get a longer trial period to see how the pet fits in their lifestyle and if they don't, well hey, thanks so much for opening your home for fostering that guy even for a few weeks! Let's see if someone else fits you better. There is so much pressure for people to decide that a living breathing creature belongs with them for the rest of its 10-15 year life in the span of a ~15 minute visit with it at the shelter. I took longer than that to purchase a shower curtain for my guest bathroom.

Another thing too is considering how much work we could be doing to support people before they get to the point of rehoming in the first place. Some things you can't do a lot about (like your dog's behavior issues which had been worked on extensively) but so many people give up animals because of expensive one-time medical expenses, changes to financial situations, sudden but temporary changes in housing situation, temporary changes in health of the caretaker, limited access to veterinary care, etc etc etc. I'm a big believer in safety net programs like pet pantries, temporary fostering while owners get their feet under them, or funds to help cover medical expenses because I don't want to waste time trying to put an animal in a home when it already has one and could stay there with a little help. It's really wise for shelters to try to get programs like this into place because you decrease intake of these animals so much and can spend way more time focusing on animals that absolutely 100% have to be in your shelter.

Practically stepped on top of my cat last night after returning home from a looooong day and night of work. Thankfully, did not!

Cat likes to plop her furry little self right in the middle of the floor, in the busiest rooms in my home.

Right in the middle of the floor ... the place where everyone walks ... when it's DARK at night ... and no one can see anything ... and no one can see cat curled up on the floor.

Gotta love them 'cuz they're just being cats! :cat:

Here are some night camera photos.

Notice cat didn't move out of the way and stayed right in the middle of the floor.

She must have been tired out from working soooo hard all day. :sleep:
Sleep well. :biglove:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
16E1D058-388A-4578-9CAC-70BD3DEACD4B.jpeg

I know it’s a little early, but Dog picked out her Halloween costume today

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
People: Wow horses are so majestic and beautiful!

Seven:
233584843_10159567980403189_1379132365538333298_n.jpg

• Haha
But then Lena yesterday…

7ADA53C2-F32F-4079-A340-544C315D98E0.jpeg

• Love
image0-4.jpg
image0-2.jpg

my boys <3

I've always been interested in human med and animal med but being forced to become an informed pet owner and dealing with complicated health needs has made me realize I should take a serious look into my interests rather than default to what is safe. In my case, safe is/was software engineering and while I'm glad I have had the opportunity to try it out, I should have listened more myself rather than my mentors when they told me tech was the best career path.

Reactions: 3 users
I've always been interested in human med and animal med but being forced to become an informed pet owner and dealing with complicated health needs has made me realize I should take a serious look into my interests rather than default to what is safe. In my case, safe is/was software engineering and while I'm glad I have had the opportunity to try it out, I should have listened more myself rather than my mentors when they told me tech was the best career path.
Former mechanical and systems engineer here. Vet school sucks but would still pick this over rotting at my former engineering job :lol:

• Haha
Former mechanical and systems engineer here. Vet school sucks but would still pick this over rotting at my former engineering job :lol:

Yes for real. Rotting is exactly what it feels like. I’m constantly working on products with tools I just don’t care about at all. Dozens of pointless meetings where nothing is accomplished. I can’t work in office job drudgery for the next 40 years of my life.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Ducky went to her first show! She was the only one in her age category, so she even took home a first place ribbon :cool: The best duck 🦆

242151101_10159631797883189_2053122011073599082_n.jpg

• Love
Since I haven't shared any photos of her yet... here is a photo dump of my new Golden Retriever puppy! She's almost 8 months old now. We have big plans for dock diving, agility and rally! She's a rock star and has great drive.
169576693_10161052513917796_3329135331803823121_n.jpg
174202430_10161079397037796_9135623526806546475_n.jpg
235255543_10161389397822796_2511723036465425899_n.jpg
242141750_10161473848492796_3360091151737659553_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
She's an awesome pup but unfortunately in the dreaded teenage stage right now. I'm ready for this stage to be over. She's much more of a challenge than my previous golden. I miss him dearly, my heart still aches. Goldens are truly the best dogs <3

Reactions: 1 users
She's an awesome pup but unfortunately in the dreaded teenage stage right now. I'm ready for this stage to be over. She's much more of a challenge than my previous golden. I miss him dearly, my heart still aches. Goldens are truly the best dogs <3
Yeah, my guy was a nightmare basically from 6 months old to 3.5 years lmao. I think labs are the absolute perfect dogs when they're about 4-5 years old and I don't think I have it in me to get another lab as a puppy :laugh:

He just got privileges to be out without being crated while I'm sleeping/out of the house when he turned 4. I have to basically remove as many interesting items as possible and have some baby gates up to keep him out of the kitchen for it to work though. He tries very hard to be a good boy but there's only so far you can get with two brain cells.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
243279879_10159647524593189_509174482948302748_n.jpg

Can we talk about how I accidentally bought a clone of my other horse, Manny? Seriously they look more similar by the day :laugh: Good thing Ducky has 3 socks and Manny has 1 so I can tell them apart :oops:

• Love
  • Haha
Said goodbye to one of the best dogs yesterday. She lived a super long full life and I know I made the best decision for her. But man today is a struggle. Trying to study through the intermittent tears. It doesn't help that my Lab comes running when she senses I'm upset and that makes me cry more :cryi:

4.jpg
IMG_1376 copy.jpg
IMG_0565 copy.jpg
IMG_7140.JPG

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
This is my little guy lentil. I think he’s an English working cocker spaniel but everyone says he looks like a golden retriever. Any ideas?
271A5921-7288-4430-B552-B9F8B00256A0.jpeg
F2FE1B47-5918-4933-9B1C-FA8436970FFB.jpeg
A1AD6FA9-4276-462D-AAE9-5CA38E4661D4.jpeg

• Love