All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Saw this post first while skimming, didn't see the quote. Was wondering why you were so excited about herpes...

Forget diamonds, it's herpes that's forever.
Current running joke at my clinic with 2 of my techs is my one client with multi cat household: everyone’s been bitten by the herp monster & the (ring) worm.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cookie is about 15.5 yrs old. She nearly died when she was 9 and was blind for a couple weeks but has been healthy ever since

Attachments

• 20180117_200537.jpg
    20180117_200537.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 4 users
I love reptiles. Easy to work with and usually easy to diagnose (husbandry error until proven otherwise...)
Definitely, which is such a bummer because they will generally live a long time if the husbandry is good and the issues they get from poor husbandry are so devastating. They really are exceptional animals and it sucks to have to have the husbandry conversation all the time.
And cancer in light colored morphs!
I think morph-related health issues are going to become more prevalent as time goes on. There's already the well known neuro issues with the spider morph ball pythons and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see more heritable issues appear in other morphs, especially with how intensively morphs are developed in certain species (leopard geckos, corn snakes, and ball pythons come immediately to mind).

Reactions: 2 users
Túndra is 20 weeks old today!

He knows: sit, down, stand, stay, come, wait, look, watch me, go left, go right, "two paws up", touch, place and "go bedtime". He's started basic agility - switches and wraps over a ground pole, straight tunnels, recalls. His stay is impressively SOLID - 30+ feet away with other people/distractions around, or me out of sight. Crated for 6 hours at an agility trial today and waited pretty patiently the whole time. Still working on not pouncing on every dog/person/leaf that crosses our path, and the whole "not pooping in the house" thing is still a challenge on an occasional basis.

Overall this puppy is ridiculously easy. He's the type of puppy that people see and think "oh, maybe a puppy wouldn't be so bad after all" and then they end up with a monster. :-D

DSC_1047a.JPG

Reactions: 14 users
Túndra is 20 weeks old today!

He knows: sit, down, stand, stay, come, wait, look, watch me, go left, go right, "two paws up", touch, place and "go bedtime". He's started basic agility - switches and wraps over a ground pole, straight tunnels, recalls. His stay is impressively SOLID - 30+ feet away with other people/distractions around, or me out of sight. Crated for 6 hours at an agility trial today and waited pretty patiently the whole time. Still working on not pouncing on every dog/person/leaf that crosses our path, and the whole "not pooping in the house" thing is still a challenge on an occasional basis.

Overall this puppy is ridiculously easy. He's the type of puppy that people see and think "oh, maybe a puppy wouldn't be so bad after all" and then they end up with a monster. :-D

View attachment 230294
Oh my god he’s so cute. I’ll still take him :p

Just posting this for @staff_wielder because I love any opportunity to show off my teeny tiny dog :)
(Beanie Baby for scale!)

Attachments

• chupie1.jpg
    chupie1.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: 8 users
Look at that face!! Too cute!! :love::love::love:
@ChoopLoops Your little dude is so small and looks like a real snuggle bug! Could just carry him around in a kangaroo pocket!! I think mine was that small for all of the first 2 minutes I had her... and she is definitely not a snuggler... she prefers to play tug of war, eat cheese, take up most of the bed, and make laundry folding a challenge! First pic is at 4lbs, and the second at 68lbs.

859FE235-AD99-44AE-BF0E-0C153142808F.jpeg

25829A7A-76C6-41DF-9356-CB45BEF18A8D.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
@ChoopLoops Your little dude is so small and looks like a real snuggle bug! Could just carry him around in a kangaroo pocket!! I think mine was that small for all of the first 2 minutes I had her... and she is definitely not a snuggler... she prefers to play tug of war, eat cheese, take up most of the bed, and make laundry folding a challenge! First pic is at 4lbs, and the second at 68lbs.

View attachment 230618

View attachment 230617
Omg I needs her

Members don't see this ad :)
@staff_wielder mine *also* makes laundry folding a problem - he's like "oh warm fluffy clothes that you just neatly folded? yes I will please make these into my nest" *dug dug burrow burrow*

She's beautiful! Would still try to snuggle her :cat:

My baby boy Merlin has surgery scheduled on the 26th for a PU. I'm so nervous for him it's not even funny :(
Think good thoughts for my baby :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
My baby boy Merlin has surgery scheduled on the 26th for a PU. I'm so nervous for him it's not even funny :(

I'm sending good thoughts your way!
My baby girl, Kira, has surgery scheduled on the 23rd for a probable spindle cell sarcoma (mass located on her elbow skin). She had MCT removal last August, but I'm just insanely nervous this time about. Recently euthanized a foster (was going to be foster fail) of mine due to probable multiple myeloma, so I have a bad case of imagining the worst case scenario right now!

Kdubs -- I know you know a lot more of the reasons why I decided to switch out of research for Vetmed -- one of those reasons being, at some point, it just gets too hard to walk by the mice, rats, pigs, dogs, and monkeys, and seeing some of the stuff that goes on in the name of research conducted by researchers, and then have those same researchers say, we can't say for certain that these animals experience "anxiety", or "depression". I understand the science of it (they don't talk, and we don't know enough yada yada), but it's emotionally distressing none-the-less, as in my mind, these animals have even less of a voice than any other animals. Then I go home to my doggy and I think about her being in research and... just gutted.

Don't get me started on the clients who say depression isn't a thing o_O
Going to solidly disagree with the bolded. There are more protections and regulations in place for research animals than most other animals. Not to mention entire IACUC committees and lab animal veterinary staff looking out for them. Clients can get away with all sorts of things with their own pets that would never fly in a research setting (declining post-op pain meds is the first example my brain supplied). Not to mention the first time I went to a pig farm I nearly cried when I thought about how well our lab pigs were treated in comparison.

The reason I'm in vet med is because I'm always advocating for the voiceless. It's why I'm not going to stick around in small animal I don't think - I want to promote conservation and all of the animals that nobody loves (as much as cats and dogs).
The bolded is actually the reason I went back to vet med for lab animal medicine. The fact that it is literally my job to be the voice for the welfare of animals in research is why I'm here :)

Reactions: 8 users
My baby girl, Kira, has surgery scheduled on the 23rd for a probable spindle cell sarcoma (mass located on her elbow skin). She had MCT removal last August, but I'm just insanely nervous this time about. Recently euthanized a foster (was going to be foster fail) of mine due to probable multiple myeloma, so I have a bad case of imagining the worst case scenario right now!
Saw my name. It freaked me out. Happy and positive vibes for your girl who shares my actual name :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Going to solidly disagree with the bolded. There are more protections and regulations in place for research animals than most other animals. Not to mention entire IACUC committees and lab animal veterinary staff looking out for them. Clients can get away with all sorts of things with their own pets that would never fly in a research setting (declining post-op pain meds is the first example my brain supplied). Not to mention the first time I went to a pig farm I nearly cried when I thought about how well our lab pigs were treated in comparison.

Then, perhaps, other animals are just as voiceless -- because I've spent the last 8 years at the NIH and the last deciding factor that pushed me to apply to veterinary school was because my blood curdles at some of the stuff I've seen. IACUC or OACU isn't around everyday and they don't catch everything. I'm sorry, they just don't. I've been both on the research side as well as the Veterinary Research and Resources side. I'm not sure where you are doing your residency, or if you're planning on university/industry/government or if you've spent much time at NIH -- but I'd be happy to talk to you about my experience here. Many of the institutes don't have a centralized training system or classes set up to teach basics like anesthesia, or how to drug dosing/dilutions, or how to even ear tag a mouse properly. Who makes sure gavache is happening properly and teaches researchers that a mouse relaxes once the ball is past the gag reflex/into the stomach area vs struggling if you're in the lungs? Often times PI's, who have been paper pushing for more years than they were doing research and through no fault of their own are having to teach techniques when there perhaps should be other systems in place or MORE vets etc. Researchers (much like clients) often do a lot of damage before it's caught, and that's what I was getting at -- those animals have no voice to speak up (much like the pigs you referenced). I'm sure I'll be horrified when I go to a pig farm, as well. Sad.

The bolded is actually the reason I went back to vet med for lab animal medicine. The fact that it is literally my job to be the voice for the welfare of animals in research is why I'm here :)

Great. Sign me up too, once I'm out :)

Last edited:
Saw my name. It freaked me out. Happy and positive vibes for your girl who shares my actual name :love:

Thank you!! :love: sorry for the mini freak out :laugh:

Her name was Shakira when I got her, wasn't planning on keeping her so I shortened it and it just stuck!

It's actually one of my favs, so I liked it way too much to change it when I ended up keeping her.

Thank you!! :love: sorry for the mini freak out :laugh:

Her name was Shakira when I got her, wasn't planning on keeping her so I shortened it and it just stuck!

It's actually one of my favs, so I liked it way too much to change it when I ended up keeping her.
I agree, Shakira and Kira are lovely names.

Then, perhaps, other animals are just as voiceless -- because I've spent the last 8 years at the NIH and the last deciding factor that pushed me to apply to veterinary school was because my blood curdles at some of the stuff I've seen. IACUC or OACU isn't around everyday and they don't catch everything. I'm sorry, they just don't. I've been both on the research side as well as the Veterinary Research and Resources side. I'm not sure where you are doing your residency, or if you're planning on university/industry/government or if you've spent much time at NIH -- but I'd be happy to talk to you about my experience here. Many of the institutes don't have a centralized training system or classes set up to teach basics like anesthesia, or how to drug dosing/dilutions, or how to even ear tag a mouse properly. Who makes sure gavache is happening properly and teaches researchers that a mouse relaxes once the ball is past the gag reflex/into the stomach area vs struggling if you're in the lungs? Often times PI's, who have been paper pushing for more years than they were doing research and through no fault of their own are having to teach techniques when there perhaps should be other systems in place or MORE vets etc. Researchers (much like clients) often do a lot of damage before it's caught, and that's what I was getting at -- those animals have no voice to speak up (much like the pigs you referenced). I'm sure I'll be horrified when I go to a pig farm, as well. Sad.

Great. Sign me up too, once I'm out :)
Actually it's interesting you mention that because I think NIH actually has less oversight/regulations because they aren't subject to USDA inspections? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I understand your point about the missing oversight and training, but honestly do you really think its any better with other animals who have no oversight or much less? I'd imagine it's only worse, we just don't see it because it happens in people's homes or in the woods or on farms etc. We do have centralized training facilities here for basic procedures (injections, oral gavage, etc) but you're right, a lot of procedures get trained by PI's training new people who then train newer people etc. And I have seen PI's try to get away with some less than stellar stuff, though I think most of the time it isn't being done maliciously.

But I also know that all the mice here get looked at (cage-side, but still) every single week by a veterinarian (this task consumes a large portion of my time these days). And at other facilities I've been to they get looked at every week to two weeks by trained staff who are cleaning cages, who then report health issues to the veterinary staff. And that's a hell of a lot more frequently than the 80 cats living in a hoarder's house. :shrug:

Actually it's interesting you mention that because I think NIH actually has less oversight/regulations because they aren't subject to USDA inspections? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I understand your point about the missing oversight and training, but honestly do you really think its any better with other animals who have no oversight or much less? I'd imagine it's only worse, we just don't see it because it happens in people's homes or in the woods or on farms etc. We do have centralized training facilities here for basic procedures (injections, oral gavage, etc) but you're right, a lot of procedures get trained by PI's training new people who then train newer people etc. And I have seen PI's try to get away with some less than stellar stuff, though I think most of the time it isn't being done maliciously.

But I also know that all the mice here get looked at (cage-side, but still) every single week by a veterinarian (this task consumes a large portion of my time these days). And at other facilities I've been to they get looked at every week to two weeks by trained staff who are cleaning cages, who then report health issues to the veterinary staff. And that's a hell of a lot more frequently than the 80 cats living in a hoarder's house. :shrug:

Correct. I know I've asked someone about that, and something about one government agency being unable to regulate a fellow government agency. But NIH does still send reports to the USDA and is in compliance/follows the rules set by USDA....

Sigh. I see your argument. Out of sight, out of mind... sad. Makes one feel all sorts of confused as to what to do/where to start trying to make some minuscule difference.

@greeneyegal92 and @sparrow_lily sending lots of good thoughts for Merlin and Kira! :)

My residentmate went to go adopt a cat today (hers died from lymphoma a couple months ago), and she asked me and another girl to come along. She went in only interested in adopting a female cat. But two orange males won her over. Since they were orange, I suggested naming them Billy and Reuben, because is there really a better name for a clinical pathology resident's orange cats than bilirubin? She immediately shot me down but then thought about it for a second and loved it. Reuben won her over first, then Billy convinced her to take him home too. I have been trying to get a friend to name something Billy Reuben for years and I'm so happy I finally convinced someone to go with it.

Well the time has finally come, Merlin is going in for his PU surgery tomorrow morning so nervous for him but I know his quality of life will be vastly improved once healed! Wish my baby luck :love::love::luck::luck::love::love:
20180212_222402.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Well the time has finally come, Merlin is going in for his PU surgery tomorrow morning so nervous for him but I know his quality of life will be vastly improved once healed! Wish my baby luck :love::love::luck::luck::love::love:
Merlin ... sending best wishes, lots of love and sweet purrs to you! :)
2491179924_630a3464f2.jpg

I'm pretty sure I posted in this thread a while back when I was first thinking about getting her and trying to decide on a name........so update time!

Here's Nokona. I ended up adopting her literally the morning of the day after I graduated undergrad (almost a year ago now.....how time flies!). She recently earned her AKC Canine Good Citizen certificate and we're not sure what to train for next! Does anyone do any fun activities with their dogs that we could try?

Also, if anyone else is weirdly obsessed with their pet like I am and has made them an instagram account, feel free to follow @nokonadog :biglove:

LhtLSjjLOV_r1pQZiRKQiRFUcaziKom4j7_27D8Xg2-WJK2PjhpX_wQXizPmSA39s-Al_9QLPHUrbL4xMQPFIJ24Q6hehFiKJ5LFs9vNq2MfJcF9XWvQ8M3hBXgDoKWamTdJ7dSD7-PQPE_8Iy383GbDZZnxx3QR7WXrXdRtz-6-qSDsAcT2uvq74bkNTdhH8pOm6VSEnrl6CNx2IiDga6MBHDcA8_34xX44BL5xOhpBLLkKp_XgzOAEtys2qCtV6pyMNe_vlOv4op32cWV7FV9C_nkJYNaJVYgI5xV9pFNh4HGPrqqIxyC4ofU5XuONmD-5_JYcoI32SnFTPbiDNOY_JNt6LhqhAsKx47BLLglKqBB2uLArRJbBtfM3qzC6UfY6-lR3W7hpzaPaBTJ40djXXuQ2Vzf9TbYyRli0wKbF_izCLh9_gi7qhKXjl-QdIRMAeYNU7BTMxk8gC98PcHheZnVsfUS8jbmnlrev9WujkaHNY2Zl2PQnhKqJV39Zo6xQKXRnfClaeogW58JQ-5Z97c-3OEAKZEkveW3mzZb1nUgBwkyzKoMa5LrcvWBs-VYIoqXgGYQwpnNqxn1INgIMsrJHyhH9tw=w1062-h708-no

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty sure I posted in this thread a while back when I was first thinking about getting her and trying to decide on a name........so update time!

Here's Nokona. I ended up adopting her literally the morning of the day after I graduated undergrad (almost a year ago now.....how time flies!). She recently earned her AKC Canine Good Citizen certificate and we're not sure what to train for next! Does anyone do any fun activities with their dogs that we could try?

Also, if anyone else is weirdly obsessed with their pet like I am and has made them an instagram account, feel free to follow @nokonadog :biglove:

LhtLSjjLOV_r1pQZiRKQiRFUcaziKom4j7_27D8Xg2-WJK2PjhpX_wQXizPmSA39s-Al_9QLPHUrbL4xMQPFIJ24Q6hehFiKJ5LFs9vNq2MfJcF9XWvQ8M3hBXgDoKWamTdJ7dSD7-PQPE_8Iy383GbDZZnxx3QR7WXrXdRtz-6-qSDsAcT2uvq74bkNTdhH8pOm6VSEnrl6CNx2IiDga6MBHDcA8_34xX44BL5xOhpBLLkKp_XgzOAEtys2qCtV6pyMNe_vlOv4op32cWV7FV9C_nkJYNaJVYgI5xV9pFNh4HGPrqqIxyC4ofU5XuONmD-5_JYcoI32SnFTPbiDNOY_JNt6LhqhAsKx47BLLglKqBB2uLArRJbBtfM3qzC6UfY6-lR3W7hpzaPaBTJ40djXXuQ2Vzf9TbYyRli0wKbF_izCLh9_gi7qhKXjl-QdIRMAeYNU7BTMxk8gC98PcHheZnVsfUS8jbmnlrev9WujkaHNY2Zl2PQnhKqJV39Zo6xQKXRnfClaeogW58JQ-5Z97c-3OEAKZEkveW3mzZb1nUgBwkyzKoMa5LrcvWBs-VYIoqXgGYQwpnNqxn1INgIMsrJHyhH9tw=w1062-h708-no
She’s so pretty!!!!!

She’s so pretty!!!!!
Thaaaank you! :love:

She's got quite the personality too! I think the best way to describe her would be: like Dante from Coco, but the spoiled house-dog version. Haha.

Thinking of getting a third dog. Exactly how terrible of an idea would this be?

Local trainer has a beautiful chocolate Labrador that is being washed out of narcotics detection training, and oh man, I am so tempted...

Look at that face!! :love:

Thinking of getting a third dog. Exactly how terrible of an idea would this be?

Local trainer has a beautiful chocolate Labrador that is being washed out of narcotics detection training, and oh man, I am so tempted...

Chocolate lab! But then again, I'm partial to those crazy ones! Narc training, huh? So it's a working dog. If you can give it a "job" and keep it stimulated/well-exercised then do it! I didn't realize how much of a handful mine would be, but you rise to the occasion!

Update for everyone Merlin is up and doing well after his PU no anesthetic concerns at all! :love: It'll be a long 2 weeks to recovery but it'll be worth it! Thank you all for the well wishes for my baby :claps:
20180217_145558.jpg

Look at that face!! :love:

Chocolate lab! But then again, I'm partial to those crazy ones! Narc training, huh? So it's a working dog. If you can give it a "job" and keep it stimulated/well-exercised then do it! I didn't realize how much of a handful mine would be, but you rise to the occasion!

Yeah I'll have to talk to the trainer and see what she says. One of my current dogs is a field-line lab, but she's super calm around the house (I think I got a dud :rofl:). I don't mind dogs that like to train and can go forever outdoors, but I definitely don't want to end up with a dog that can't settle in the house. We'll see...

Also if I got a chocolate, I'd be one step closer to the trifecta - it's a ridiculous dream of mine to one day own a black, a chocolate, and a yellow labrador :wacky:

Update for everyone Merlin is up and doing well after his PU no anesthetic concerns at all! :love: It'll be a long 2 weeks to recovery but it'll be worth it! Thank you all for the well wishes for my baby :claps:View attachment 231098
Thanks for the positive post-op report - very happy to hear Merlin is doing well! :love:
4d295a98b20ab81b214cb38110db78f5.jpg

Yeah I'll have to talk to the trainer and see what she says. One of my current dogs is a field-line lab, but she's super calm around the house (I think I got a dud :rofl:). I don't mind dogs that like to train and can go forever outdoors, but I definitely don't want to end up with a dog that can't settle in the house. We'll see...

Also if I got a chocolate, I'd be one step closer to the trifecta - it's a ridiculous dream of mine to one day own a black, a chocolate, and a yellow labrador :wacky:
Hahaha oh it's a real thing -- The Lab Rainbow :cool: