ALL MDs 2017 - Data For Selecting Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFloodWater

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was frustrated with the search functionality of MSAR. It is very limited in what you can search by (stuff that actually matters) So, I created a spreadsheet that you can search things on, compare much more easily, and filter things. I used the spreadsheet from DrTroll as the skeleton for mine. I believe I improved upon some of its errors and weak points and added some stuff of my own.

****UPDATE**** Was asked to remove the link. I posted earlier. Sorry about this guys!

I know this might be too late for a good number of you, but perhaps some of you can still find use for it. At the very least, someone else can use this spreadsheet as the backbone for next year. Numbers are accurate as of 6/20/17.

General comments on this spreadsheet:
  • It is a rough way to narrow down medical schools to chose the ones you want to apply to. Don't want to pay 70,000 + tuition as out-of-state? Eliminate this from your list. Don't want to apply to a school that only accepts 1 or 2 OOS peeps? Now you can see who they are easily. Have one low MCAT section score? You can see if it still registers on the schools's rector scale (ie within their 10th percentile) - if it is blow this, things are a bit more of a stretch. With the Excel doc, you can filter, sort, and find schools that fit you.
  • Some of the medical schools that have lower stats (GPA and MCAT) are public schools that favor in-state students. If you applying OOS because you match their stats, (ie are in par with their average, or are a little under), still apply, but think carefully. The skew to the left (lower scores) is more likely to come from the school accepting their IS students. Generally, OOS will need higher stats than IS. All this to say, take the spreadsheet with a grain of salt. Just because you match stat wise, does not mean you are more likely to get an interview. It would be sweet if schools posted info for MCAT and GPA acceptance differences between IS and OOS, but they don't.
  • Some of you are quite lucky with lots of IS schools. Others of us have very few. Generally, you will have a better shot applying to an IS public school than OOS public schools (just by numbers wise). This is because public state schools have a bias to IS applicants (totally makes sense). Something that you can see on the spreadsheet is how biased schools are! I am a numbers person and like to see these sorts of things.
  • I would still buy a MSAR subscription. There is a ton of info on there. If you can narrow your list down from 145 to 20 or so, you might use the MSAR to narrow this down further.
  • I apologize for not including more information for the international students applying. You all have an uphill battle. Absolutely absolutely but the MSAR. Just because the school says the accept international students, does not mean they are "nice" to you in the application cycle (ie 500 apply and 1 is interviewed) - I have marked all the schools that have granted international students interviews this year. It would be wise to see the numbers on the MSAR, It is much cheaper to buy the subscription than apply to a school and pay their secondary fee, when you don't have a shot at.

Some of you might be upset with some of the things I said. I am not trying to upset you in your decision making process. I am just trying to help you make more informed decisions on where you are applying to, instead of just spraying and praying.

Best of luck, and I hope this is helpful to you future doctors!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't download this but is this just data pulled from the MSAR? Are you sure that's allowed?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dropbox link seems to be broken

Reactions: 1 user