All you have to do is throw some pills in a bottle!??!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It finally happened to me!!!!! I have patiently waited for the moment one of my **** for brains customers hit me with that line. I had it all planned out. I was going to grab a random bottle of pills off the shelf pour a couple into a 13dram vial and hand it to them. I was then going to tell them "yep, all I have to do is throw some pills in a bottle so here ya go! Oh, by the way you don't know what I am giving you or how to take it so good luck." The plan after that was to see how they reacted and sort of wing it from there. I figure they would be embarrassed and try to back peddle. All the while I would give them a good lecture on what it is I do.

So the new store 2 miles from me calls and wants to know if we have Kadian 20mg. We get a lot of these calls because the Pharmacist up there thinks everyone getting a C-II is a drug abuser. So instead of stocking C-II's they just send them down to me, thanks a lot. We of course have it so they are going to send someone down for it. The new store is located close to a country club and wealthy gated community so the people they send us are usually jerks. This time was no exception.

The guy throws his prescription on the counter with a coupon for a free two weeks supply and exclaims, "How long is it going to be because I do not have time to wait." My technician tells him its going to be about 25 minutes because there are 5 people ahead of him and only one pharmacist. Thats when he delivers the line I have been waiting for.

Before I could say anything my technician lays into him and lets him have it. Apparently this guy used to shop at our store before the new store opened and my tech had experience dealing with him. My tech was like a pit bull with a piece of meat in its mouth. The RX took exactly 25 minutes to fill and my tech let him have the whole time he was waiting because he hovered around the counter a refused to sit down and wait. I was disappointed I did not get to handle the situation as I had dreamed but it worked out in the end.

Whats the point?

1.I needed to vent and this was convenient.
2.Most of the general public are stupid and seem intent on proving it at every available opportunity.
3.Having good techs is the key to a Pharmacists happiness.

That is all…Good night!

Members don't see this ad.

It finally happened to me!!!!! I have patiently waited for the moment one of my **** for brains customers hit me with that line. I had it all planned out. I was going to grab a random bottle of pills off the shelf pour a couple into a 13dram vial and hand it to them. I was then going to tell them "yep, all I have to do is throw some pills in a bottle so here ya go! Oh, by the way you don't know what I am giving you or how to take it so good luck." The plan after that was to see how they reacted and sort of wing it from there. I figure they would be embarrassed and try to back peddle. All the while I would give them a good lecture on what it is I do.

So the new store 2 miles from me calls and wants to know if we have Kadian 20mg. We get a lot of these calls because the Pharmacist up there thinks everyone getting a C-II is a drug abuser. So instead of stocking C-II's they just send them down to me, thanks a lot. We of course have it so they are going to send someone down for it. The new store is located close to a country club and wealthy gated community so the people they send us are usually jerks. This time was no exception.

The guy throws his prescription on the counter with a coupon for a free two weeks supply and exclaims, "How long is it going to be because I do not have time to wait." My technician tells him its going to be about 25 minutes because there are 5 people ahead of him and only one pharmacist. Thats when he delivers the line I have been waiting for.

Before I could say anything my technician lays into him and lets him have it. Apparently this guy used to shop at our store before the new store opened and my tech had experience dealing with him. My tech was like a pit bull with a piece of meat in its mouth. The RX took exactly 25 minutes to fill and my tech let him have the whole time he was waiting because he hovered around the counter a refused to sit down and wait. I was disappointed I did not get to handle the situation as I had dreamed but it worked out in the end.

Whats the point?

2.Most of the general public are stupid and seem intent on proving it at every available opportunity.

That is all…Good night!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mountain....some of the absolutely WORST patients are those with money & a habit!

Yep....the public can be stupid!

A great tech is an asset....but don't make them take the **** - make sure you put the pt in their place so they don't take unnecessary heat.

Have a great night.....enjoy your libatation of choice & relax....

Tomorrow is another day......

It's like one of us walking into a place of business that we are clueless about and hassling the staff simply because we don't understand the process. Have you ever hassled your dry cleaner or banker like this? I can't believe how much crap pharmacists have to take off the public. Why does the public think it's acceptable to treat us like this? Because of this stupid "customer is always right" mentality that the chains reinforce with $20 gift cards for all whining jerks.

It's time for pharmacists to fight back with a national registry of jerks. If your name pops up on the registry, you can no longer have prescriptions filled in the US. You have to go to Tijuana and fill it yourself. Figure out your own damn insurance and drug interaction problems, if you can even read the prescription.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once an elderly lady looked at me like I was crazy for not trading the prescription she was holding for an unlabeled stock bottle straight from the shelf. When I told her we had to add her into our computer system and provide her with a labeled bottle she told me that was ridiculous and poor customer service and stormed off. It made me wonder what had been going on where she was filling her lisinopril for the last little while.

All I know is that one time I knocked over an open jar of Jellybellies all over the floor at the store and some pharmacist came around the corner, took one look and **** himself.

An hour later, though, they were all sorted by color and size, though the ones he put through the mortar and pestle just gummed up. ;)

I kid, I kid. You guys - especially the pharm.d's, are the **** when it's multidiscipline round time. Always an excellent consult resource for standard and alternative med regimens. Always very professional.

I wish I could say the same for some of my classmates, or myself ...

Whats the point?

That is all…Good night!

I thought that's all y'all did... put dem pills in the bottle.. quit your bitchin!!:smuggrin:

I thought that's all y'all did... put dem pills in the bottle.. quit your bitchin!!:smuggrin:
Lol.. yeah seriously, if you want such a high level of respect, you should have thought about that earlier. It probably won't hurt to look at it from their POV. They just waited at least hours to see their doctor, pay the copay, get diagnosed, the doctor decided which drug they need, now all they have to do is go pick it up, but no they gotta kiss up to someone else now.. =( poor THEM.

Well, one time you can have a legitimate complaint is when they try to copy the doctors handwritting and get a different size dose hehhe

Lol.. yeah seriously, if you want such a high level of respect, you should have thought about that earlier. It probably won't hurt to look at it from their POV. They just waited at least hours to see their doctor, pay the copay, get diagnosed, the doctor decided which drug they need, now all they have to do is go pick it up, but no they gotta kiss up to someone else now.. =( poor THEM.

Well, one time you can have a legitimate complaint is when they try to copy the doctors handwritting and get a different size dose hehhe

we don't need a retail-bashing episode.

they want to screw around with the dose, :laugh: It's probably amoxicillin anyways :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
we don't need a retail-bashing episode.

they want to screw around with the dose, :laugh: It's probably amoxicillin anyways :smuggrin:
Lol, yes but it's the thought that counts! It's kind of a sad feeling though, when they concentrate so much and it turns out the pills don't come in the size they forged lol..

Order Entry is my brother. He won't appreciate this statement.

Awww, how cute, you both have corresponding user names!

:confused: No one has to kiss up to me, just act like you have a modicum of common decency and treat me with some respect.

It probably won't hurt to look at it from their POV. They just waited at least hours to see their doctor, pay the copay, get diagnosed, the doctor decided which drug they need, now all they have to do is go pick it up, but no they gotta kiss up to someone else now.. =( poor THEM.

But I bet during this entire process they didnt fuss at the doctors staff and say "All you have to do is write me a script!". People do routinely wait 1-2 hours to see a doctor, another 10-15min at the pharmacy to get what they went to the doc in first place for shouldnt be a huge hassle to them.

This is so true. I worked Saturday for the first time in a while, and I was reminded how great the techs are at my store. Even though our pharmacy is pretty understaffed right now, everyone is doing a great job.

what a surprise! Walgreens understaffed? NEVER!!!! :laugh:

what a surprise! Walgreens understaffed? NEVER!!!! :laugh:

I went to pick up my meloxicam this afternoon at Wags and my area supervisor was working the computer. I guess they were short a pharmacist today. We chatted for a while, then she got back to work.

I went to pick up my meloxicam this afternoon at Wags and my area supervisor was working the computer. I guess they were short a pharmacist today. We chatted for a while, then she got back to work.
We were getting stories on how wags wears a golden halo from a4md the other day...;)

Whats the point?

That is all…Good night!

Haha. it could happen anytime again. just be ready for it.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but it's worth sharing again. I have read it so many times and it's still just as funny as it was the first time:

Why your RX takes so long to fill

The next time you find yourself completely baffled by how it could possibly take soooooo long for your prescription to be filled, consider the following scenario...

You come to the counter. I am on the phone with a drunk dude who wants the phone number to the grocery store next door. After I instruct him on the virtues of 411, you tell me your doctor was to phone in your prescription to me. Your doctor hasn't, and you're unwilling to wait until he does.

Being in a generous mood, I call your doctors office and am put on hold for 5 minutes, then informed that your prescription was phoned in to my competitor on the other side of town.

Phoning the competitor, I am immediately put on hold for 5 minutes before speaking to a clerk, who puts me back on hold to wait for the pharmacist. Your prescription is then transferred to me, and now I have to get the 2 phone calls that I had to put on hold while this was being done.

Now I return to the counter to ask if we've ever filled
prescriptions for you before. For some reason, you think that "for you" means "for your cousin" and you answer my question with a "yes", where upon I go the computer and see you are not on file.

(The phone rings)

You have left to do something very important, such as browse through the monster truck magazines, and do not hear the three PA announcements requesting that you return to the pharmacy.

You return eventually, expecting to pick up the finished prescription.....

(The phone rings)

.......only to find out that I need to ask your address, phone number, date of birth, if you have any allergies and insurance coverage. You tell me you're allergic to codeine. Since the prescription is for Vicodin I ask you what exactly codeine did to you when you took it. You say it made your stomach hurt... I roll my eyes and write down "no known allergies." You tell me......

(The phone rings)

......you have insurance and spend the next 5 minutes looking for your card. You give up and expect me to be able to file your claim anyway. I call my competitor and am immediately put on hold. Upon reaching a human, I ask them what insurance they have on file for you. I get the information and file your claim, which is rejected because you changed jobs 6 months ago.

A complete jerk barges his way to the counter to ask where the bread is.

(The phone rings)

I inform you that the insurance the other pharmacy has on file for you isn't working. You (magically) produce a card in under 10 seconds that you seemed to be unable to find before. What you were really doing was hoping your old insurance would still work
because it had a lower copay.

Your new card prominently displays the logo of Nebraska Blue Cross, and although Nebraska Blue cross does in fact handle millions of prescription claims every day, for the group you belong to, somehow I am supposed to just know that the claim
should go to a company called "Caremark," whose logo is nowhere on the card.

(The phone rings)

A lady comes to the counter wanting to know why the cherry flavored antacid works better than the lemon cream flavored antacid. What probably happened is that she had a milder case of heartburn when she took the cherry flavored brand, as they both use the exact same ingredient in the same strength. She will not be satisfied though until I confirm her belief that the cherry flavored brand is the superior product.

I file your claim with Caremark, who rejects it because you had a 30 day supply of Vicodin filled 15 days ago at another pharmacy.
You swear to me on your mother's'....

(The phone rings)

........life that you did not have a Vicodin prescription filled recently. I call Caremark and am immediately placed on hold. Upon reaching a human at Caremark, I am informed that the Vicodin prescription was indeed filled at another of my competitors.

When I tell you this, you say you got hydrocodone there, not Vicodin. (they are the same for all you non-pharmacy types)
Another little part of me dies.

(The phone rings)

It turns out that a few days after your doctor wrote your last prescription, he told you to take it more frequently, meaning that what Caremark thought was a 30-day supply is indeed a 15 day supply with the new instructions.

I call your doctor's office to confirm this and am immediately placed on hold. I call Caremark to get an override and am immediately placed on hold. My laser printer has a paper jam.
It's time for my tech to go to lunch.

Caremark issues the override and your claim goes though. Your insurance saves you 85 cents off the regular price of the prescription.

(The phone rings)

At the cash register you sign....

(The phone rings)

.......the acknowledgement that you received a copy of my HIPPA privacy policy and that I offered the required OBRA counseling for new prescriptions. You remark that you're glad that your last pharmacist told you not to take over the counter Tylenol along with the Vicodin, and that the acetaminophen you're taking instead seems to be working pretty well. I break the news to you that Tylenol is simply a brand name for acetaminophen and you don't believe me.

You fumble around for 2 minutes looking for your checkbook and spend another 2 minutes making out a check for four dollars and sixty seven cents.

You ask why the tablets look different than those you got at the other pharmacy. I explain that they are from a different manufacturer. Tomorrow you'll be back to tell me they don't work as well.

Now imagine this wasn't you at all, but the person who dropped off their prescription three people ahead of you, and you'll start to have an idea why.....your prescription takes so damn long to fill.

Spacecowgirl - you have absolutely made my day!!!!:thumbup: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SpaceCowGirl's post has made me realize how fortunate I am.:thumbup:

Come on Z-pack there is nothing more fun than working retail!!! Pay is good at least....

We had a JCAHO consultant Survey yesterday. I was in a Medication Managment Tracer with the surveyor for 3 hours..I was standing for 3 hours.. It hurt my feet and legs.. Oh Joy!

:smuggrin:

I apologize if this has been posted before, but it's worth sharing again. I have read it so many times and it's still just as funny as it was the first time:

Why your RX takes so long to fill

The next time you find yourself completely baffled by how it could possibly take soooooo long for your prescription to be filled, consider the following scenario...

You come to the counter. I am on the phone with a drunk dude who wants the phone number to the grocery store next door. After I instruct him on the virtues of 411, you tell me your doctor was to phone in your prescription to me. Your doctor hasn't, and you're unwilling to wait until he does.

Being in a generous mood, I call your doctors office and am put on hold for 5 minutes, then informed that your prescription was phoned in to my competitor on the other side of town.

Phoning the competitor, I am immediately put on hold for 5 minutes before speaking to a clerk, who puts me back on hold to wait for the pharmacist. Your prescription is then transferred to me, and now I have to get the 2 phone calls that I had to put on hold while this was being done.

Now I return to the counter to ask if we've ever filled
prescriptions for you before. For some reason, you think that "for you" means "for your cousin" and you answer my question with a "yes", where upon I go the computer and see you are not on file.

(The phone rings)

You have left to do something very important, such as browse through the monster truck magazines, and do not hear the three PA announcements requesting that you return to the pharmacy.

You return eventually, expecting to pick up the finished prescription.....

(The phone rings)

.......only to find out that I need to ask your address, phone number, date of birth, if you have any allergies and insurance coverage. You tell me you're allergic to codeine. Since the prescription is for Vicodin I ask you what exactly codeine did to you when you took it. You say it made your stomach hurt... I roll my eyes and write down "no known allergies." You tell me......

(The phone rings)

......you have insurance and spend the next 5 minutes looking for your card. You give up and expect me to be able to file your claim anyway. I call my competitor and am immediately put on hold. Upon reaching a human, I ask them what insurance they have on file for you. I get the information and file your claim, which is rejected because you changed jobs 6 months ago.

A complete jerk barges his way to the counter to ask where the bread is.

(The phone rings)

I inform you that the insurance the other pharmacy has on file for you isn't working. You (magically) produce a card in under 10 seconds that you seemed to be unable to find before. What you were really doing was hoping your old insurance would still work
because it had a lower copay.

Your new card prominently displays the logo of Nebraska Blue Cross, and although Nebraska Blue cross does in fact handle millions of prescription claims every day, for the group you belong to, somehow I am supposed to just know that the claim
should go to a company called "Caremark," whose logo is nowhere on the card.

(The phone rings)

A lady comes to the counter wanting to know why the cherry flavored antacid works better than the lemon cream flavored antacid. What probably happened is that she had a milder case of heartburn when she took the cherry flavored brand, as they both use the exact same ingredient in the same strength. She will not be satisfied though until I confirm her belief that the cherry flavored brand is the superior product.

I file your claim with Caremark, who rejects it because you had a 30 day supply of Vicodin filled 15 days ago at another pharmacy.
You swear to me on your mother's'....

(The phone rings)

........life that you did not have a Vicodin prescription filled recently. I call Caremark and am immediately placed on hold. Upon reaching a human at Caremark, I am informed that the Vicodin prescription was indeed filled at another of my competitors.

When I tell you this, you say you got hydrocodone there, not Vicodin. (they are the same for all you non-pharmacy types)
Another little part of me dies.

(The phone rings)

It turns out that a few days after your doctor wrote your last prescription, he told you to take it more frequently, meaning that what Caremark thought was a 30-day supply is indeed a 15 day supply with the new instructions.

I call your doctor's office to confirm this and am immediately placed on hold. I call Caremark to get an override and am immediately placed on hold. My laser printer has a paper jam.
It's time for my tech to go to lunch.

Caremark issues the override and your claim goes though. Your insurance saves you 85 cents off the regular price of the prescription.

(The phone rings)

At the cash register you sign....

(The phone rings)

.......the acknowledgement that you received a copy of my HIPPA privacy policy and that I offered the required OBRA counseling for new prescriptions. You remark that you're glad that your last pharmacist told you not to take over the counter Tylenol along with the Vicodin, and that the acetaminophen you're taking instead seems to be working pretty well. I break the news to you that Tylenol is simply a brand name for acetaminophen and you don't believe me.

You fumble around for 2 minutes looking for your checkbook and spend another 2 minutes making out a check for four dollars and sixty seven cents.

You ask why the tablets look different than those you got at the other pharmacy. I explain that they are from a different manufacturer. Tomorrow you'll be back to tell me they don't work as well.

Now imagine this wasn't you at all, but the person who dropped off their prescription three people ahead of you, and you'll start to have an idea why.....your prescription takes so damn long to fill.

you really should site where you got this. sorry to be a pain, but the author deserves some credit and i am pretty sure i know who he is.

you really should site where you got this. sorry to be a pain, but the author deserves some credit and i am pretty sure i know who he is.

Yes, I agree attribution is important. I'm sure it was just an oversight on the part of the person who posted it.

That hilarious piece is from none other than the DrugNazi:

http://drugnazi.blogspot.com/index.html

We had a JCAHO consultant Survey yesterday. I was in a Medication Managment Tracer with the surveyor for 3 hours..I was standing for 3 hours.. It hurt my feet and legs.. Oh Joy!

:smuggrin:

Thats funny......I did flu shots a few weeks ago. I spent six hours sitting down. It screwed my back up so bad it took a week before I was right again.

Sheesh! I just got this in a forward, it didn't have any citations :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm glad you could give credit where it was due.

yeah, and I know Bill Gates really did offer 25,000 dollars for forwarding his email to 25 of my closest friends

i don't know what crawled up yours tonight, maybe its the same thing that bites you every so often, but why would i make up fake associations. you really puzzle me. sometimes i can get a laugh out of the crap you say, but your a bit off tonight.

i don't know what crawled up yours tonight, maybe its the same thing that bites you every so often, but why would i make up fake associations. you really puzzle me. sometimes i can get a laugh out of the crap you say, but your a bit off tonight.
Nothing crawled up my ass tonight...I don't go off the deep end requiring credit for crap people I supposedly know write

Okay, so your friend wrote something very funny...big friggen deal. I am sooooooo glad you made your point and now EVERYONE knows that someone else wrote that.

Anyone that would put that much originality and thought into a post like spacecowgirl's would have to be a complete loser and not have any life whatsoever outside this board. I know for a fact that is not the case for mrs spacecowgirl otherwise known as #1 cocklover/worshiper just based on previous posts...

perhaps it's because you're "always tired" that you can not find the perspective....

Awwriight......to whomever who originally wrote it - thank you ..... it made me laugh all day!

To Spacecowgirl - thank you for forwarding it on ...... it made me laugh all day!

To Mountain......sitting down really does kill your back!!! I agree! Next time....tell those little old ladies to stand up & you stand up too....make the tall men sit down. There is no reasoning....just lets you move around a bit!

To Zpak...quit being such a pansy & get used to standing up all day - thats what pharmacists do!!! (At least your uterus won't prolapse after 20 yrs!!!)

Now......that was really, really funny! I don't care how many people it came thru - they all deserve credit for recognizing a funny piece!

I'm new to SDN and got linked to this forum from the "Things I Learn From My Patients" thread on the Residency board, but I just have to ask: Do you guys get any NORMAL customers? Or is every person you deal with a complete inconsiderate idiot who shouldn't be allowed near controlled substances in the first place? I've filled prescriptions before, and I always thought you were just supposed to go up to the counter, hand the pharmacist the prescription and your insurance card, answer whatever questions you get asked, wait for them to fill it by either going someplace else in the store or leaving and coming back later, and then pay for the thing and leave. Perhaps I've been doing it wrong. :cool:

To Zpak...quit being such a pansy & get used to standing up all day - thats what pharmacists do!!! (At least your uterus won't prolapse after 20 yrs!!!)

You should see my high back leather chair in my office... my staff sneak in when I'm not there taking turns sitting in it... :thumbup:

I'm new to SDN and got linked to this forum from the "Things I Learn From My Patients" thread on the Residency board, but I just have to ask: Do you guys get any NORMAL customers? Or is every person you deal with a complete inconsiderate idiot who shouldn't be allowed near controlled substances in the first place? I've filled prescriptions before, and I always thought you were just supposed to go up to the counter, hand the pharmacist the prescription and your insurance card, answer whatever questions you get asked, wait for them to fill it by either going someplace else in the store or leaving and coming back later, and then pay for the thing and leave. Perhaps I've been doing it wrong. :cool:

of course we have normal patients, or else we'd probably go fully insane. They just aren't that fun to complain about.

My favorite customer was an irate women who came in claiming we miscounted her medication. The sig was one and a half pills per day, #45, but she apparently ran out after only 3 weeks.

Did we miscount the pills that badly? Of course not. She was throwing away the other half of each pill she cut in two!

One of my professors told me a phrase that I use quite often:

" (X amount of time) is what it will take to safely and accurately fill your prescription."

This usually shuts them up...they begin to think... "okay...it could be faster, but then not safe...."

Once, however, someone did say, "well how safe will it be if you just take 5 minutes?"

I just said, "we could find out..." and he said, "that's alright, take your time."

Not too bad!

Reactions: 1 user
What I don't get is this. If you tell them 15 minutes, do they think that you will not give it to them earlier if it gets done earlier? Seriously, I figure that it is implied that it is 15 minutes OR when I am done....but when they pressure me about getting it faster I just say: If I get done sooner, I will let you know.

Spacecowgirl my bp started rising just reading that story! It is so true. I seriously would like to print that out and hand to an irate customers one of these days!

I had to fill a prescription for a Medrol dose pack & 40 Vicodin on Friday. I wanted to do some shopping so I dropped them off at the pharmacy counter in Target. They told me 25 minutes. They didn't look too busy, but I said fine. It ended up taking me 45 minutes to do my shopping. When I came back to the pharmacy, they said that it will be another few minutes. This is a new Target store that does about 100 per day. It's a wonder they get that many done. I swear they had the world's slowest pharmacist.

I work at Wags and when we say it will be done in 10 minutes, then it usually is. The computer tracks your work flow and gives you the estimate on the screen where you scan in the prescription. This way, you don't promise something that you can't deliver.