Allopathic Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm a junior in college and I just need some insight. So my current sGPA is 2.83 and my overall GPA is 3.34. I have 1 C, 3 C+s, and 1 D (but I retook the class and made a B+), these are all in my science classes. I have bomb af extracurriculars, and have yet to take the MCAT. I plan on doing a master's in medical science after I graduate and then apply to both MD/DO programs. I honestly don't care where I go to med school, I just want to get in. I'm really passionate about medicine and helping people, and can't think of doing anything else with my life. I still have 3 semesters and the MCAT left and I plan on working my butt off! But realistically, my science GPA won't go above a 3.2, and I won't be able to go through the prehealth committee at my school at all. Are there any MD medical schools that I have a shot at, or should I just completely focus on DO schools? Also, what premed grad programs are the best and make their students the most competitive for medical school? Also, what's wrong with medical schools in the Caribbean? Do they not get residencies, and how does the degree equivalency work for America? Honestly, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on DO schools and retake all of those Cs to take advantage of grade replacement. Make sure the MCAT is good and make sure the rest of your application is stellar and shows your commitment to helping people. Avoid Caribbean schools like the plague. 50% of grads DO NOT get into a residency and end up with phenomenal debt. The rest, even with stellar applications and med school test scores way higher than mine won't have the opportunity to get into the same residency programs I will. They pretty much get primary care residencies in less desirable locations at best. DO students ARE competitive for the same programs (or will be by the time you would graduate medical school).

There are occasional exceptions to these things, but don't give yourself false hope. With those science grades and no excuse for them (family members died, I found out I had ADHD and started treatment, working full-time and from under-privileged background, etc...) you have a long road ahead of you to make it into medical school.

[And this thread belongs in Pre-Allo, not Allo.]

Reactions: 1 user
Moving to WAMC forum as this is also posted in osteo forums - WAMC covers both pre-allo and pre-osteo

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now? No, for both DO and MD. You have yet to demonstrate that you would survive more than a week in med school.

Are there any MD medical schools that I have a shot at, or should I just completely focus on DO schools?

There are tons of them. I recommend those given by amed school, with linkage. Think Drexel, the Touros, Gtown, Mt Sinai, Rosy Franklin, and more.

Also, what premed grad programs are the best and make their students the most competitive for medical school?

Do some searching in these forums.
Also, what's wrong with medical schools in the Caribbean? Do they not get residencies, and how does the degree equivalency work for America?

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app.
Honestly, what should I do?

Focus on DO schools and retake all of those Cs to take advantage of grade replacement. Make sure the MCAT is good and make sure the rest of your application is stellar and shows your commitment to helping people. Avoid Caribbean schools like the plague. 50% of grads DO NOT get into a residency and end up with phenomenal debt. The rest, even with stellar applications and med school test scores way higher than mine won't have the opportunity to get into the same residency programs I will. They pretty much get primary care residencies in less desirable locations at best. DO students ARE competitive for the same programs (or will be by the time you would graduate medical school).

There are occasional exceptions to these things, but don't give yourself false hope. With those science grades and no excuse for them (family members died, I found out I had ADHD and started treatment, working full-time and from under-privileged background, etc...) you have a long road ahead of you to make it into medical school.

[And this thread belongs in Pre-Allo, not Allo.]

The problem is that my school doesn't let you retake a course unless you made a C- or below, and you can petition the dean to retake a course with a C, but they don't allow you to retake the class if you're trying to just boost your GPA. :(

The problem is that my school doesn't let you retake a course unless you made a C- or below, and you can petition the dean to retake a course with a C, but they don't allow you to retake the class if you're trying to just boost your GPA. :(
For DO grade replacement, you can re-take a class with the same description and units anywhere.