Alright, let's talk about taxes....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeppedo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to find a way to write off all of the exorbinant dental school admissions costs. This includes:

Tuition deposits
DAT test fees
AADSAS application fees
Travel costs

Any advice I could get would be great. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Jeppedo said:
I am currently trying to find a way to write off all of the exorbinant dental school admissions costs. This includes:

Tuition deposits
DAT test fees
AADSAS application fees
Travel costs

I believe you can write most of this off as educational expenses, provided you itemize. I gave my accountant all of this information, plus my tuition, fees, for undergrad classes taken and he said I would max out my educational credits. You should check with an accountant though, I'm certainly not an expert.

adr12 said:
I believe you can write most of this off as educational expenses, provided you itemize. I gave my accountant all of this information, plus my tuition, fees, for undergrad classes taken and he said I would max out my educational credits. You should check with an accountant though, I'm certainly not an expert.
They consider all application costs to be job hunting expenses. You know, much like you can write off paying a job scout. It is money that you spent in order to get a better job. That is deductible.
I think enrollment fees and such go under the same category. Or under education expenses, tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeppedo said:

Tuition deposits
DAT test fees
AADSAS application fees
Travel costs

I just did my taxes couple weeks ago, and the lady who supervises the accountant who did my taxes is from IRS, she said all those fees are not considered as your tuition fee so there is no way to write them off or itemize them. It's terrible

this may be a ridiculous question, but what about kaplan courses too? i'm assuming not, but just thought i'd ask.

my accountant said i couldn't itemize any of my application expenses. so if you are planning on writing them off, i recommend you get a second opinion or cross your fingers.

benson_dds said:
I just did my taxes couple weeks ago, and the lady who supervises the accountant who did my taxes is from IRS, she said all those fees are not considered as your tuition fee so there is no way to write them off or itemize them. It's terrible

You can write off educations expenses or moneys incurred to increase your education or skill if you are an independent contractor (work for a 1099) and the education is relevant to your line of work.

Basically if you do medical/dental billing and you go to school to take classes on billing codes or computer classes, you can write off all your educational expenses provided you work for a 1099.

Pretty sure about this info, but don't quote me... ;-)