Alternative Communication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RemiJP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I came over here from the Audiology/SLP forum. I'm an SLP student who is interested in augmentative and alternative communication for people who cannot use speech to communicate, particularly in hospital settings. I'd love to hear about your experiences working with patients who are non-speaking because they are on a ventilator or due to illness/surgery. Do you interact with patients using a device provided by an SLP?

Members don't see this ad.

The primary care population I work with does not include a non-speaking patient. I am not sure I would feel comfortable treating a non-speaking individual. I would certainly welcome the challenge and treat the patient with the necessary attention, but I feel important parts of the medical communication would be lost. I have heard of health centers that specialize in treating this population where I would recommend she be seen.

While a student in the ICU I worked with several ventilator patients. Most patients were given a pad to communicate with. I am ignorant as to other means of communication. I know several PA's who roam around the medical forums who work in an ICU setting. One PA inparticular who is responsible for the procedural training of all residents that come through and operates as a Fellow in the evening hours. Please share any tips or articles you may have on the subject as thye may find it interesting. Send it to me as well.