Altius FL 5 C/P Question 23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWillMakeIt1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have no idea why altius consider Leucine has a bulky group as Trp. This is not making any sense to me. If anyone could come up with an explanation please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 12.02.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 12.02.04 PM.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 74
I think you mean phenylalanine since F is the 1-letter code for phenylalanine. But anyway, Leucine has a branched R group (iso-butyl) so I am assuming that is why it would be considered a bulky group. I don't think this is a great question, though.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you mean phenylalanine since F is the 1-letter code for phenylalanine. But anyway, Leucine has a branched R group (iso-butyl) so I am assuming that is why it would be considered a bulky group. I don't think this is a great question, though.
Yeah sorry thats what I meant. anyways, yeah not a great question

They are wrong in assuming that it has the same steric bulk as phenylalanine but this question likely hinges on the fact that they don't say they are equally bulky but rather just that both amino acids are "bulky."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They are wrong in assuming that it has the same steric bulk as phenylalanine but this question likely hinges on the fact that they don't say they are equally bulky but rather just that both amino acids are "bulky."
So what constitute bulkiness? more than 3 C or is it the branching? I would have chose A as well.

So what constitute bulkiness? more than 3 C or is it the branching? I would have chose A as well.

"Bulkiness," as you correctly imply, is an ambiguous term. I would consider leucine sterically bulky because it's long and branched.

Reactions: 1 users