Am I being too optimistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I occasionally tell people who are overtly paranoid to calm down since it is only September but another week without hearing anything from schools makes me wonder if I am being too optimistic about this process.

I am not an outstanding applicant in any mean. Just an average one but I thought my chances are not so bad. However, I got only 1 invite so far from Hofstra which seems to interview everybody. Besides that I got 4 rejections (Gtown, Tulane, Boston and UCI :(( ) and 2 official holds Albany and GWU. This is not even counting the silent rejections I might already get from other schools.

My relevant stats and list of schools is here if you want to know.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=850305

Also anybody can show me how to make an md app in my profile I will appreciate it. Tried to search but the MD and app key words return too many results.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably belongs in the what are my chances forum but it's only September. If you don't have any more by December, I'd be worried. The interview season lasts until March. Also I know a guy who applied to 40 schools, got one interview and one acceptance. Anecdotal but one interview might be all that you need to get into medical school.

Read a lot about Hofstra.

Think about your weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your list is deceptively competitive. Sure, the schools that you applied to have averages near your stats, but all of the schools that you heard back from so far net 10,000+ applicants. Even if your stats are slightly above their average you better have some serious ECs to stand out in a crowd that large.

I think your list is deceptively competitive. Sure, the schools that you applied to have averages near your stats, but all of the schools that you heard back from so far net 10,000+ applicants. Even if your stats are slightly above their average you better have some serious ECs to stand out in a crowd that large.

Too late at this point, but what is the alternative? Schools with lower accepted stats will usually invite more applicants and my chances are lower at schools with high accepted stats.

Too late at this point, but what is the alternative? Schools with lower accepted stats will usually invite more applicants and my chances are lower at schools with high accepted stats.

I agree, it's too late at this point so I won't make a big deal of it... but there are plenty of schools with a small-ish number of applicants and modest stats (Virginia Tech, U of Kentucky, EVMS, Louisville, Upstate, Buffalo, etc).

To answer your original question, I've found that the middle-of-the-road applicants tend to be dragged along in the admissions process, while the very competitive and non-competitive applicants are dealt with more quickly. I still think it's too early to worry. Come back in December if you haven't received any invites yet.

I would recommend applying to more programs if it is not already too late. Your stats are good, but this is a numbers game and a crap shoot. So apply more broadly. Have you been receiving secondaries at least?

I agree, it's too late at this point so I won't make a big deal of it... but there are plenty of schools with a small-ish number of applicants and modest stats (Virginia Tech, U of Kentucky, EVMS, Louisville, Upstate, Buffalo, etc).

To answer your original question, I've found that the middle-of-the-road applicants tend to be dragged along in the admissions process, while the very competitive and non-competitive applicants are dealt with more quickly. I still think it's too early to worry. Come back in December if you haven't received any invites yet.

Agreed. The applicants like the OP do not get many invites early on but will probably get several more after december after the schools have sorted through the competitive applicants and begin interviewing for the waitlist.

Well I occasionally tell people who are overtly paranoid to calm down since it is only September but another week without hearing anything from schools makes me wonder if I am being too optimistic about this process.

I am not an outstanding applicant in any mean. Just an average one but I thought my chances are not so bad. However, I got only 1 invite so far from Hofstra which seems to interview everybody. Besides that I got 4 rejections (Gtown, Tulane, Boston and UCI :(( ) and 2 official holds Albany and GWU. This is not even counting the silent rejections I might already get from other schools.

My relevant stats and list of schools is here if you want to know.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=850305

Also anybody can show me how to make an md app in my profile I will appreciate it. Tried to search but the MD and app key words return too many results.

should of applied to more schools if you selected schools that get 10K apps/year (tulane, BU, GU), especially for a CA applicant. I know most people on here say not to apply to more than 18, but if you want options you have to pay (~30 apps should do the trick). Also, your applied/interview ratio is low, so it could also be a number of things like quality of essays, LORs on file, etc (although your grades are good enough)... At this point, I would do everything you can to ace that Hofstra interview, but get a good job now and get ready for the next round.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention I did add a few more schools at the end of August after those rejections: MCW, Michigan State, Creighton, Ohio (was told they like CA applicant even though their accepted stats are high). All these schools were completed late August early September.

Is it too late to add Toledo and EVMS? They seem to have easy secondary. I think I can send everything in before October. Not sure if it is still worth it but I will do it anyway.

Oh I forgot to mention I did add a few more schools at the end of August after those rejections: MCW, Michigan State, Creighton, Ohio (was told they like CA applicant even though their accepted stats are high). All these schools were completed late August early September.

Is it too late to add Toledo and EVMS? They seem to have easy secondary. I think I can send everything in before October. Not sure if it is still worth it but I will do it anyway.

All of those are great additions, though I actually heard that Creighton isn't the most friendly OOS school in general. Your call on Toledo and EVMS. If it were me I wouldn't spend the money but that's not to say that it's impossible.

Creighton is a private school, they don't care about OOS.

Toledo was the slowest school I applied to last year to respond with their secondary; my app was sent out on the first day (june 25th), secondary site opened august 16th, submitted secondary august 23rd, interview invite sept 16th (then withdrew october 16th). They might be faster/more on top of the game this year, but if not, it could actually work out well for you.

Last edited:
It's an unfair advantage, I went to Notre Dame and naturally know all 4 jesuit medical schools :)

Thanks a lot for the input. I would add EVMS and Toledo anyway to put my mind at ease. At least I do my best.

you're not being too optimistic.

disclaimer: I'm an optimist