Am I done for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yano

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After graduating high school, I did 1 year of UG as an Information Technology Major got a 2.0 freshman year. moved to United States (I am a green card holder), took a 2 year gap year because I Wanted to finish my studies back at my home country. That didn't work out so I enrolled in a CC and got a 3.0 on my first year there (college didn't accept credits from my uni back at home country).

My mother got hit by a severe illness on my 3rd semester so I focused on a full-time job and a part time job instead of classes which ended up in me withdrawing from a bunch of class and getting F on some of them, thought things will get better so ended up enrolling again instead of taking off from college. long story short now my GPA is at 1.82 from failing 7 classes and withdrawing from 4 classes. My transcript says 20 total credits earned, 49.10-grade points, 1.82 GPA. The only prereqs I completed are basic biology and basic chemistry, and English 1 as I wasn't really interested in being a doctor at the time. I took a gap year after this because I didn't want to risk failing more classes and wasting money.

I just discovered my passion for medicine as I am a full-time employee at a nursing facility and interacting with the residents there has ignited a passion in me, my sibling just got a stable job so he said he can handle all the medical bills of our mother and said that I should focus on studying now. I'm thinking of switching from IT major into biotechnology/biology and maybe try for med school if I managed to pull myself together, but looking at the deep hole I have dug myself into makes me think I can't be a doctor anymore even if I do manage to pull off and reinvent myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No you're not done for. The road ahead seems very steep and the odds are stacked against you but as many others have proven in this forum and beyond, your past failure is not automatically a death sentence so long as you put in the work and prove that the you of the past is not the you of the present. Check out the below 3.0 support group thread and the many other similar threads by those before you. The low GPA success stories thread is also a good one for motivational stories and to find out what they did right. You'll have to put in much more work over a sustained amount of time to prove you're just as competitive and serious as the best of them. This will be a lot of time, effort, and struggle so do it if you truly want it. If you find yourself wavering and unhappy it's best to take a step back and reassess before you dig any deeper.

Study hard and transfer to a 4-year where you can take science upper divs too. Maintain mostly if not all A's and nail the MCAT. I don't know how many units you're at but consensus says you'll need to get your GPA at bare minimum above 3.0. Fit in meaningful extracurriculars where you have the time, but also take care of yourself. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
You won't get a good answer because the info you provided is incomplete/vague.

1) None of the coursework that you completed outside of the U.S./Canada will count towards your AMCAS/AACOM GPA calculations.
2) Are you a U.S. citizen/green card holder?
3) Calculate your current cumulative GPA omitting coursework done outside the U.S. and Canada. Update your original post to reflect this information. Make sure to include how many credits have contributed to the production of this GPA. (i.e. 2.5, 30 credits).
4) Do you have a bachelor's degree from an U.S./Canadian college/university?
5) Which, if any, of the prerequisites for medical school have you completed?
6) How long ago did you complete the failing coursework? When was the last time you took a class and how did you perform?

The answers to the questions above are very important. If you have a poor GPA but have only amassed 30 credits, your situation is a lot different than if you had a poor GPA but are close to completing your degree. You might also be in better shape if you have complete none/few of the prerequisites for medical school or if there has been a significant period of time (>5 years) between you and your poor academic performance.

Without the above information, assuming that you haven't amassed a ton (>50) of credits in the U.S./Canada, and that you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder, then you're probably not done for...but the road to medical school acceptance will be long. I would begin by searching for post from DrMidLife. Do not take their advice with a grain of salt. Do not assume that their advice is extreme or a doomsday forecast. Assume it will be that tough or harder and get comfortable with the level of hard work and sacrifice you will have to make to become a physician.

Best.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After graduating high school, I did 1 year of UG as an Information Technology Major got a 2.0 freshman year. moved to United States, took a 2 year gap year because I Wanted to finish my studies back at my home country. That didn't work out so I enrolled in a CC and got a 3.0 on my first year there (college didn't accept credits from my uni back at home country).

My mother got hit by stroke on my 3rd semester so I focused on a full time job and a part time job instead of classes which ended up in me withdrawing from a bunch of class and getting F on some of them, thought things will get better so ended up enrolling again instead of taking off from college. long story short now my GPA is at 1.8 from failing 7 classes and withdrawing from 4 classes.

I just discovered my passion for medicine as I am a full time worker at a nursing home and interacting with the residents there has ignited a passion in me, my brother just became a nurse so he said he can handle all the medical bills of our mother and said that I should focus on studying now. I'm thinking of switching from IT major into biotechnology and maybe try for med school if I managed to pull myself together, but looking at the deep hole I have dug myself into makes me think I can't be a doctor anymore even if I do manage to pull off and reinvent myself.
Read this:

Reactions: 1 user
No you're not done for. The road ahead seems very steep and the odds are stacked against you but as many others have proven in this forum and beyond, your past failure is not automatically a death sentence so long as you put in the work and prove that the you of the past is not the you of the present. Check out the below 3.0 support group thread and the many other similar threads by those before you. The low GPA success stories thread is also a good one for motivational stories and to find out what they did right. You'll have to put in much more work over a sustained amount of time to prove you're just as competitive and serious as the best of them. This will be a lot of time, effort, and struggle so do it if you truly want it. If you find yourself wavering and unhappy it's best to take a step back and reassess before you dig any deeper.

Study hard and transfer to a 4-year where you can take science upper divs too. Maintain mostly if not all A's and nail the MCAT. I don't know how many units you're at but consensus says you'll need to get your GPA at bare minimum above 3.0. Fit in meaningful extracurriculars where you have the time, but also take care of yourself. Good luck.

Thank you, I plan to concentrate on studying and aim for all A's this upcoming semester and the rest of the semesters to come. I'm going to take a break from work(or make it so that I work around 16 hours a week).
My Transcript says 20 Credits Earned, 49.10 total grade points, 1.82 GPA.

You won't get a good answer because the info you provided is incomplete/vague.

1) None of the coursework that you completed outside of the U.S./Canada will count towards your AMCAS/AACOM GPA calculations.
2) Are you a U.S. citizen/green card holder?
3) Calculate your current cumulative GPA omitting coursework done outside the U.S. and Canada. Update your original post to reflect this information. Make sure to include how many credits have contributed to the production of this GPA. (i.e. 2.5, 30 credits).
4) Do you have a bachelor's degree from an U.S./Canadian college/university?
5) Which, if any, of the prerequisites for medical school have you completed?
6) How long ago did you complete the failing coursework? When was the last time you took a class and how did you perform?

The answers to the questions above are very important. If you have a poor GPA but have only amassed 30 credits, your situation is a lot different than if you had a poor GPA but are close to completing your degree. You might also be in better shape if you have complete none/few of the prerequisites for medical school or if there has been a significant period of time (>5 years) between you and your poor academic performance.

Without the above information, assuming that you haven't amassed a ton (>50) of credits in the U.S./Canada, and that you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder, then you're probably not done for...but the road to medical school acceptance will be long. I would begin by searching for post from DrMidLife. Do not take their advice with a grain of salt. Do not assume that their advice is extreme or a doomsday forecast. Assume it will be that tough or harder and get comfortable with the level of hard work and sacrifice you will have to make to become a physician.

Best.
I am a green card holder, but I just applied for citizenship so I should be a U.S. Citizen within a year. CC Transcript says 20 credits earned, 49.10 grade points, 1.82 GPA. No I don't have a bachelor's degree from any north american university/college. aside from biology 101 and chemistry 101 I have not done any prereqs as I was not really into medicine at the time. it was a year ago, I took a year off and just worked after failing 3rd and 4th term (My CC counts a semester over 12 credits as full time student but you might consider it as a part time student as I was only taking 3 classes per semester at the time).

I am a green card holder, but I just applied for citizenship so I should be a U.S. Citizen within a year. CC Transcript says 20 credits earned, 49.10 grade points, 1.82 GPA. No I don't have a bachelor's degree from any north american university/college. aside from biology 101 and chemistry 101 I have not done any prereqs as I was not really into medicine at the time. it was a year ago, I took a year off and just worked after failing 3rd and 4th term (My CC counts a semester over 12 credits as full time student but you might consider it as a part time student as I was only taking 3 classes per semester at the time).

1) Green card/citizen - Check.
2) A 1.82 obviously isn't good but recoverable given that it only represents 20 credits, especially if you are smart, will apply strategically and will include a strategic group of DO programs.
3) In addition to the link Goro provided, you need to read this thread by DrMidLife: The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
1) Green card/citizen - Check.
2) A 1.82 obviously isn't good but recoverable given that it only represents 20 credits, especially if you are smart, will apply strategically and will include a strategic group of DO programs.
3) In addition to the link Goro provided, you need to read this thread by DrMidLife: The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread

Best of luck to you!
To add to this, OP, read everything written by the wise DrMidlife, and remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 3 users
After graduating high school, I did 1 year of UG as an Information Technology Major got a 2.0 freshman year. moved to United States (I am a green card holder), took a 2 year gap year because I Wanted to finish my studies back at my home country. That didn't work out so I enrolled in a CC and got a 3.0 on my first year there (college didn't accept credits from my uni back at home country).......

Have you thought about just taking one or two classes (intro biology and general chemistry) to see if your ignited passion can correlate with doing well in the classes? It sounds like you have a unique story for sure. You may want to consider non-US medical schools also.

Last edited by a moderator: