Am i getting fired ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so in southern CA there are unionized CVS stores?

Correct. And in Bay Area. From what I heard though, it has more of an impact on the technicians than the pharmacists

Members don't see this ad.

I had the meeting today. I will be a floater in a different district, and my partner( the pic) will be demoted to staff rph. The store will have a new pic.
Well, if there is a bright side to this, it is that you will still be able to work whilst applying to new positions. Hang in there!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so in southern CA there are unionized CVS stores?
With some Google skill, you can find how much CVS pharmacist/techs get paid. Union contract usually has their own website and publish their negotiated contract online. Same with Riteaid, Vons, Albertson, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
With some Google skill, you can find how much CVS pharmacist/techs get paid. Union contract usually has their own website and publish their negotiated contract online. Same with Riteaid, Vons, Albertson, etc.
The union provides greater job security right? it's similar to old fashioned tenure were if you have been some place long enough you are basically unable to be fired/terminated

Regardless of state law their are federal laws protecting some classes of people. OP has to be sure the reason he is being terminated is valid.
You can be fired for no cause in certain states. They do not have to give a reason. Go ask any labor board.

Do CVS fire you anymore (unless you steal)? I thought they would try all their tactics to make you quit (become a floater and give you less irregular hours or few hours, etc)

You can be fired for no cause in certain states. They do not have to give a reason. Go ask any labor board.
Yep, it's called employment at will. That basically means that without a union / bargaining contract, not only can the employee freely quit, a company can choose to end the employment as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do CVS fire you anymore (unless you steal)? I thought they would try all their tactics to make you quit (become a floater and give you less irregular hours or few hours, etc)
Firing is risky from a legal stance. Much better to try to make the employee quit via embarrassment, reduced hours, difficult working conditions.

A lot of districts only give floaters 32 hour base.

I had the meeting today. I will be a floater in a different district, and my partner( the pic) will be demoted to staff rph. The store will have a new pic.

Ouch, a different district probably means more driving? Still congrats on 'surviving', at least you will have a job while you try to find a new one. :)

Ouch, a different district probably means more driving? Still congrats on 'surviving', at least you will have a job while you try to find a new one. :)
It will be less driving actually. In my current district the stores are all over the place. If i were to stay in the same district i would have to drive at least 2 hours.
It is sad to leave the people i have been working for more than 5 years.
They are sad. But it is what it is.
It will be a significant pay cut for me as my base will change from 44 to 30.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be less driving actually. In my current district the stores are all over the place. If i were to stay in the same district i would have to drive at least 2 hours.

I understand if you are disappointed with the loss of hours, but if I may be callus I would LOVE to work 30 hours and maintain FT benefits. That is literally like my dream, next to winning the lottery of course. ;)

I would also prefer floating to having my own store, but again to each their own.

I am the sacrificial lamb here. I was a very good fit for the store due to my ability to speak 4 languages. It is a store located in an area with a lot migrants and i speak their languages fluently . The customers like me. I will greatly miss them.
We were doing good until we lost two lead techs .With the cut in tech hours it is impossible to recover.

I understand if you are disappointed with the loss of hours, but if I may be callus I would LOVE to work 30 hours and maintain FT benefits. That is literally like my dream, next to winning the lottery of course. ;)

I would also prefer floating to having my own store, but again to each their own.
I agree with that . I paid off my loans 4 months ago. So i am of better off. The good news us i will be working in my previous rx supervisor' district. I know the scheduler and will be able to get shifts if need be

I am the sacrificial lamb here. I was a very good fit for the store due to my ability to speak 4 languages. It is a store located in an area with a lot migrants and i speak their languages fluently . The customers like me. I will greatly miss them.
We were doing good until we lost two lead techs .With the cut in tech hours it is impossible to recover.

Oh I feel this post so hard. When I was PIC I lost two awesome lead techs (one became a nurse, the other a teacher) and my work life basically became hell after that. There was no recovery from that for me. The PIC who replaced me "fixed" the store by transferring in other good techs. Although I am not bitter towards him actually, he is a great guy and I am happy for him. He somehow is still PIC there so more power to him.

From $155k down to 101k base, while some people love to drop to part time, some can't afford to take that huge of a pay cut since they have a fixed obligation (mortgage, child care, single provider, etc). I'll be too bored/greedy to work only 30h/w, I'd try to find a store again to get at least 40h/w.

Floating is way less stressful tho, so there is that.

Oh I feel this post so hard. When I was PIC I lost two awesome lead techs (one became a nurse, the other a teacher) and my work life basically became hell after that. There was no recovery from that for me. The PIC who replaced me "fixed" the store by transferring in other good techs. Although I am not bitter towards him actually, he is a great guy and I am happy for him. He somehow is still PIC there so more power to him.
Maybe they wouldn’t have left if you didn’t make them cry all the time (this will never get old for me haha)

Maybe they wouldn’t have left if you didn’t make them cry all the time (this will never get old for me haha)

An ounce of peace is all I want for you
And will you never say that again
Just to put it in my face?

I knew you would throw that in my face! :p

Not to sound too defensive but one of those lead techs, the nurse, I am still friendly with on FB. The other actually has a funny story to our "relationship". We did NOT get along at first, like at all. But there was a lot of mutual respect earned over time. At one point we were working together a slow morning and for some reason we were reminiscing about "old times" and she said something about how her heart used to drop when she saw my name on the schedule when she worked. And I replied that was funny because I hated her when she started at my store (I don't think either of us were surprised by these revelations). In retrospect telling someone you hate them might not help employee retention. ;)

In case someone gets the wrong idea, all of this was said in a very friendly way. We both grew to love working with the other person, at least as far as I could tell.

Correct. And in Bay Area. From what I heard though, it has more of an impact on the technicians than the pharmacists
c
CVS pharmacists in the Bay Area are exempt from the union

Yes, please have this end up in court. Sue them after you get fired.
There is a reason most insurance/ divorce/ Trump /anything involving a lawyer ends up with a settlement. You don't want to tarnish your brand/name. You could be the idiot and fight this tooth and nail in court, and become unhireable later. Do that.
Do you know anyone who has become "unhirearble"?

Also, can you make up your mind in this fantasy you've fabricated?

If they reach a settlement, there is no "in court"

Do you know anyone who has become "unhirearble"?

Also, can you make up your mind in this fantasy you've fabricated?

If they reach a settlement, there is no "in court"

Who the hell cares if it's fantasy or not. It's a real hypothetical situation that some pharmacists will face in their life. If you get let go/fired, and you think they have a reason to fire you, it's best not to sue them. Move the fu3k on.

Yes, I know a few, I actually Googled their name... Once that information out there, you are screwed. You will find name vs. Name of big Employer/The state of whatever (pharmacy board). Then, you look up their name on your board of pharmacy, most will have a status of licensed delinquent. Why renew if you can't get a job?

You think employer will not take this to court if they have a solid case/reasonable case to fire you? You think they are gonna settle hahaha

If you sue, do you think that future employers will choose someone that could be a huge potential liability or a hungry new grad with $200k+ in loans who will be afraid to speak up?

Who the hell cares if it's fantasy or not. It's a real hypothetical situation that some pharmacists will face in their life. If you get let go/fired, and you think they have a reason to fire you, it's best not to sue them. Move the fu3k on.

Yes, I know a few, I actually Googled their name... Once that information out there, you are screwed. You will find name vs. Name of big Employer/The state of whatever (pharmacy board). Then, you look up their name on your board of pharmacy, most will have a status of licensed delinquent. Why renew if you can't get a job?

You think employer will not take this to court if they have a solid case/reasonable case to fire you? You think they are gonna settle hahaha
Bruh.jpg

EDIT:

here are some examples- time to put up or shut up.

King v. CVS Caremark Corporation, No. 1:2012cv01715 - Document 285 (N.D. Ala. 2016)

Pharmacist wins age discrimination case against CVS | Drug Topics

Last edited:
Suing is usually never an option..Heck how do you think chains get away with making single coverage pharmacists verify 450 rxs and then firing them for making too many mistakes? In fact I would like to know of one instance where rph has successfully sued their chain employers.

You fight to keep your job BEFORE getting termination. I don't know how CVS' policies work. Can they terminate you if you get three coaching in a year time frame? If yes, then OP should definitely start looking for other jobs as sword is still hanging over his head.

Best of luck to you whatever the outcome
You may reflect back on this one day in the future as a blessing in disguise

I fully realized that several years after the fact when I found out that this hospital's two best techs were both fired after more than 30 years because of a loophole in the Family Leave Act.

Suing is usually never an option..Heck how do you think chains get away with making single coverage pharmacists verify 450 rxs and then firing them for making too many mistakes? In fact I would like to know of one instance where rph has successfully sued their chain employers.

You fight to keep your job BEFORE getting termination. I don't know how CVS' policies work. Can they terminate you if you get three coaching in a year time frame? If yes, then OP should definitely start looking for other jobs as sword is still hanging over his head.

The post immediately above yours is literally two examples of a chain losing such lawsuits.

I don’t know why people think corporate lawyers are infallible. Good marketing?

Any update?
I had the meeting yesterday. I will be a floater in a different district, and my partner( the pic) will be demoted to staff rph. The store will have another pic. My base will change from 44 to 30 hours , a significant pay cut. Will look for other opportunities .

They get away this because we're a profession where 72 year old pharmacists get upset and tell new grads "don't call yourself dr.!!!"

They get away with this because we're a profession where we say "ohhh, but muh student loans!"

They get away with this because we tell each other we can't win. Don't fight. Don't sue.

This profession is full of cowards

They get away this because we're a profession where 72 year old pharmacists get upset and tell new grads "don't call yourself dr.!!!"

They get away with this because we're a profession where we say "ohhh, but muh student loans!"

They get away with this because we tell each other we can't win. Don't fight. Don't sue.

This profession is full of cowards

Ceti, all of this is true but a lawsuit for termination is usually not the best method to show your moxie. I've been there and consulted with very expensive lawyers. Their first questions were "Are you a minority?" and "How old are you?". Afterwards they told me they would love to take my money by suing my employer but it would likely take years and not result in an outcome favorable to me. These chains are very well practiced in finding ways to get rid of people with little recourse.

Hot damn, so they demoted both of you?! that's so normal for CVS and not one bit surprising lol I'm actually surprised they didn't just fire you both. Time to look for another job asap!

So you got a ma
Ceti, all of this is true but a lawsuit for termination is usually not the best method to show your moxie. I've been there and consulted with very expensive lawyers. Their first questions were "Are you a minority?" and "How old are you?". Afterwards they told me they would love to take my money by suing my employer but it would likely take years and not result in an outcome favorable to me. These chains are very well practiced in finding ways to get rid of people with little recourse.

So OP got demoted with a major pay cut. OP work is a business relationship, not personal. From your posts you sound emotionally invested so its time to look at it differently and start looking for a new job, a new business partner.

In so far as states that are right to work or employment at work, its more complicated then that. If an employer sets HR policies up i.e step wise discipline they create a contract with their employees.

In so far as suing. It depends. Employees can win. There was a female rph that won a lawsuit to the tune of 1 mill because she was fired for losing c2 safe keys when a male employee who did the same didn't get fired. You have to have a case (document) and your employer would have to be wrong.

Please don't take this the wrong way:
You're also a person with extreme fringe beliefs. I could be wrong, but I doubt their confined to vaccines
Unless you hide them IRL, I genuinely believe that would harm your chances at trial.

Do you have at least 50k-200k saved up for future fees with a 5-10k initial retainer to begin service? Also, they will probably file a counter-suit and have someone find footage of you doing questionable things while on the job (even if you weren't) that can be used against you. Bench/jury trials will cost you so much money, you'll have wished you never filed a complaint. You're only real chance is if you're , Black, Mexican, Asian or from the middle east and can find pro bono representation.

Do you have at least 50k-200k saved up for future fees with a 5-10k initial retainer to begin service? Also, they will probably file a counter-suit and have someone find footage of you doing questionable things while on the job (even if you weren't) that can be used against you. Bench/jury trials will cost you so much money, you'll have wished you never filed a complaint. You're only real chance is if you're , Black, Mexican, Asian or from the middle east and can find pro bono representation.

Are you making things up?

Honestly, if you are cool with reduced pay, 30 hour float is a great gig.

If I had to go back to corporate, that's what I'd do

The post immediately above yours is literally two examples of a chain losing such lawsuits.

I don’t know why people think corporate lawyers are infallible. Good marketing?

Yeah, the problem is CVS doesn't make it easy to begin with. Not sure about the other chains, but I remember not too long ago CVS had a mandatory online module which required all employees to sign an agreement opting for any workplace dispute to be mediated through arbitration rather than through filing a civil suit. Since it was required to be completed, I simply had signed "I refuse".

Lawyer will work on contingency fee 33.3%-40% fee + anything they do they will charge more (gas, obtaining documents, hiring expert testimony, finding witness). They will take on your cases if they BELIEVE they will win the case. Most will just turn it down if it is a "just cause" termination. If it is completely illegal termination due to discriminatory practices (sex, age, sexual orientation, race, etc), you might have a case. Most people don't have sh1t.

Yes, 1-2 AGE discrimination cases should prove your point that you should sue your employer if you are fired with a good reason. You'll get millions! Do you really believe that or are you just trolling at this point? I really can't tell...
What exactly was your original point again?
That we should be scared of corporations?

I'm getting confused by your true-life fictional real hypothetical actual scenarios.

Last edited:
Lawyer will work on contingency fee 33.3%-40% fee + anything they do they will charge more (gas, obtaining documents, hiring expert testimony, finding witness). They will take on your cases if they BELIEVE they will win the case. Most will just turn it down if it is a "just cause" termination. If it is completely illegal termination due to discriminatory practices (sex, age, sexual orientation, race, etc), you might have a case. Most people don't have sh1t.

Some attorneys will do contingency only, most will not unless it's something outrageous and they for sure will get paid. Once an attorney takes a case they cannot drop it except in very unusual circumstances. Good luck finding one for a typical "I got fired, I want to sue" scenario. They don't work for free and I'm guessing a lot of people here don't have any experience with how costly they can be. If a case were to actually make it to trial, trial prep alone can take a few full business days to weeks. I've paid a bill like this before and it's an obscene amount of money.

What exactly was your original point again?
That we should be scared of corporations?

I'm getting confused by your true-life fictional real hypothetical actual scenarios.
I guess I know you are trolling.

Please don't take this the wrong way:
You're also a person with extreme fringe beliefs. I could be wrong, but I doubt their confined to vaccines
Unless you hide them IRL, I genuinely believe that would harm your chances at trial.

Your posts are very hateful and unwarranted. Very troll-like. You know nothing of my situation. You pretend you know something about law.
Christianity was once a "fringe belief".