Am i getting fired ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your posts are very hateful and unwarranted. Very troll-like. You know nothing of my situation. You pretend you know something about law.
Christianity was once a "fringe belief"
I'm sorry that you have a negative emotional response to my post.

I'm sure if you reflect on it, you'll see that my post and assessment is related to the discussion.

I mean, an attorney could build a rock solid case, perform masterfully at trial, and then suddenly it comes out that their client believes that Xenu created a flat Earth, thenthe lose.

Members don't see this ad.

So, don't worry may be all is well. But if you tensed about it now may you can't work properly in your field. it would be the cause of fired.

companies are are getting very strict...my hospital runs urine nicotine tests, you test positive...no job. Doesnt matter if you were vaping or on patches...your job offer is rescinded. Obesity will be the next pre-employment screening just wait. All about insurance costs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got placed on a PIP after my last review despite being above average on all metrics because I needed to "improve my attitude." It's strange because I don't recall attitude being a metric that can be measured on a performance evaluation. My action plan was to actually do less than the level of metrics I was already achieving.

Reactions: 1 users
Christianity was once a "fringe belief".

Yes.....but. There are are only 2 reasons that fringe beliefs become popular, 1) they posit something that can not be tested scientifically (such as the various religions) or 2) they posit something that couldn't be tested at one time, but then new technology makes the idea testable, and it's shown to be true.

Neither of these are the case with vaccines, because vaccines have been shown scientifically to work, and they have been shown that for most people the benefits outweigh the risks. Even anti-vaxxer's know this is true, because at the same time they are claiming that vaccines don't really work and it's just clean water that is responsible for the decrease in disease, they also claim that the increase in shingles is from the effectiveness of the chickenpox vaccine keeping people from being exposed to it regularly to keep their immunity up (this argument also shows the fallacy of the anti-vaxxer's claim that "natural" immunity is magically better, since the "natural" immunity is wearing off at the same pace as the "vaccine-mediated immunity" (which supposedly doesn't exist.)

So anti-vaccine sentiment will always remain a fringe belief, because it really doesn't take any specialized science knowledge to understand that they protect people against horrendous diseases.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes.....but. There are are only 2 reasons that fringe beliefs become popular, 1) they posit something that can not be tested scientifically (such as the various religions) or 2) they posit something that couldn't be tested at one time, but then new technology makes the idea testable, and it's shown to be true.

Neither of these are the case with vaccines, because vaccines have been shown scientifically to work, and they have been shown that for most people the benefits outweigh the risks. Even anti-vaxxer's know this is true, because at the same time they are claiming that vaccines don't really work and it's just clean water that is responsible for the decrease in disease, they also claim that the increase in shingles is from the effectiveness of the chickenpox vaccine keeping people from being exposed to it regularly to keep their immunity up (this argument also shows the fallacy of the anti-vaxxer's claim that "natural" immunity is magically better, since the "natural" immunity is wearing off at the same pace as the "vaccine-mediated immunity" (which supposedly doesn't exist.)

So anti-vaccine sentiment will always remain a fringe belief, because it really doesn't take any specialized science knowledge to understand that they protect people against horrendous diseases.

I have stated on this site that some vaccines are effective, some are unnecessary and some are ineffective. Some vaccines are "necessary" ie..shingles as the result of another vaccine ie..chicken pox which is unnecessary. My concern is there is no organization which protects the public from the vaccine makers. The CDC is the sales force for the vaccine industry. They even brought back the nasal vaccine which was shown to be ineffective. It won a lukewarm recommendation from federal vaccine adviser Dr Nancy Bennett, chair of (ACIP) who said, "This is not an easy decision." The vaccine experts on the committee weakened their usual recommendation to make it clear they were not ready to strongly endorse Flumist. They changed the wording to say it's up to doctors to choose.
The evidence supporting mass vaccination of the public against the flu is weak. The evidence supporting the efficacy of the flu shot itself is very weak. I certainly wouldn't trust a nasal spray which was removed from the market.

It is a false narrative to say that vaccines are responsible for ridding the world or reducing the incidence of horrendous diseases. Did a vaccine rid the Congo of the last Ebola epidemic?

It is a false narrative to say that vaccines are responsible for ridding the world or reducing the incidence of horrendous diseases. Did a vaccine rid the Congo of the last Ebola epidemic?

Smallpox, completely eradicated by vaccines.

Polio
Measles
Whooping cough
...the list goes on.

All of these diseases are extremely rare in developed countries where everybody gets vaccinated. I know, many anti-vaxxers think these diseases are just a normal part of childhood, but the vast majority of people who've heard about these diseases, or have known some unfortunate soul who contacted one of theses diseases, disagrees that these are diseases are "a normal part of childhood." These diseases are horrendous.

Polio
Measles
Whooping cough
...the list goes on.

All of these diseases are extremely rare in developed countries where everybody gets vaccinated. I know, many anti-vaxxers think these diseases are just a normal part of childhood, but the vast majority of people who've heard about these diseases, or have known some unfortunate soul who contacted one of theses diseases, disagrees that these are diseases are "a normal part of childhood." These diseases are horrendous.

Remembering The Pre-Vaccine Era: The Diseases of Childhood | DNA Science Blog

People forget that DYING was a normal part of childhood until the postwar (as well as mandatory quarantine enforced by shoot on sight orders). I grew up in the 80s before Taxol where leukemia and breast cancer were practically a death sentence. Prior to MMR, rubella outbreaks were q2 years at least in the US and it wasn't unusual for birth defects from mumps to occur.

But I don't care about the anti-vaxxers except that I want the medical bills charged to them and definitely not welfare. The problem right now with the guidelines is that without continual antigenic challenge, no one really knows how long vaccine protection works anymore. If antivaxxers keep getting sick and dying for it, it'll serve the herd ever more usefully (as well as Darwining themselves out of existence). I have no intention of changing a patient's beliefs in this regard, because of the futility of convincing them as well as the problem takes care of itself.

What I am interested in are programs to help the needy get vaccines they are interested in. If an 11 year old girl wants the HPV vaccine and can't afford the HPV vaccine copay because the parents don't have good enough insurance or have the means, those are the people we should work on helping. Providing access to vaccines to those wanting them should be a public health priority. It benefits all of us and should be worth considering as a public good.

Maybe have someone close to them dying of these diseases will change their mind lmao...

Less stupid population is a win win, oh wait I need them to spend $ so my stocks continue to go up.

Polio
Measles
Whooping cough
...the list goes on.

It's not so cut and dry. The countries where these diseases were "eradicated" just so happen to have separate systems for potable and waste water. They also generally have solid nutritional standards. When we realized this the incidence of diseases decreased. Many of them were decreasing before vaccines..ie..polio. The polio vaccine was so poor that even Sabin admitted that at times it probably caused more cases of polio than cured.

Some diseases were not eradicated just renamed as in the case of smallpox. It's still prevalent in third world countries that we are supposedly vaccinating. It's now called monkeypox.

When vaccines don't work or stop working they use it as an opportunity to sell boosters.

On a personal level I know plenty of children (including my own) who have never been vaccinated and are healthy, thriving and not havens for disease.

Ladies and gentlemen this is your conductor and the train is officially off the tracks

companies are are getting very strict...my hospital runs urine nicotine tests, you test positive...no job. Doesnt matter if you were vaping or on patches...your job offer is rescinded. Obesity will be the next pre-employment screening just wait. All about insurance costs
I see it too. BMI will be next with genetic tests to follow.

It's not so cut and dry. The countries where these diseases were "eradicated" just so happen to have separate systems for potable and waste water. They also generally have solid nutritional standards. When we realized this the incidence of diseases decreased. Many of them were decreasing before vaccines..ie..polio. The polio vaccine was so poor that even Sabin admitted that at times it probably caused more cases of polio than cured.

Some diseases were not eradicated just renamed as in the case of smallpox. It's still prevalent in third world countries that we are supposedly vaccinating. It's now called monkeypox.

When vaccines don't work or stop working they use it as an opportunity to sell boosters.

On a personal level I know plenty of children (including my own) who have never been vaccinated and are healthy, thriving and not havens for disease.
You’re a pharmacist???!!???

Members don't see this ad :)

So the recent measles outbreak is caused by a sudden unavailability of separate systems for potable and waste water. Same thing happened at Disneyland a few years ago too, right?

That's very misleading as that was the discussion on the OPV, and yes, it has a bitter history as there was then and now a huge debate over whether or not the IPV or the OPV be adopted for standard distribution. In a system with a fairly developed pharmaceutical distribution system, the IPV is preferred now. Without such a system, the OPV is used. What Sabin is referring to is the problem of when the rate of native polio dips low enough, the incidental cases caused by the OPV would be higher than the native rate, but neither are zero in this time.

No on the monkeypox. There are related, but they certainly are not the same virus type. There's a couple of labs at Atlanta and Zurich looking into whether or not the current smallpox vaccine is suitable enough or a new one needs development. For this particular family of the classical Pox virii, it's antigenic enough that this shouldn't be a particularly difficult prospect.

I am not opposed to you not vaccinating your children, it's a risk, but it's something else entirely to intentionally misrepresent what you should understand and be able to communicate even if you do not agree with the general idea.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe I'm missing something here.

What exactly is the point of the whole clean water example? There's a reason why there's still outbreaks here, herd immunity doesn't always work and these horrible parents are risking their children's lives.

If my kids went to these countries, they would be safe. If unchained kids went to these countries, they would be at risk.

I still don't understand how someone can be a pharmacist and not understand that vaccines work. If there was a way to mass produce flu shots much quicker every year, those would work much better too. Unchained has to just be a troll.

How can someone say the chickenpox shot is pointless? Why would you want your child to get chickenpox?

How can someone say the chickenpox shot is pointless? Why would you want your child to get chickenpox?

If this question is rhetorical, I agree with your point. If it is a sincere attempt to understand a conflicting opinion, it turns out that there are many reasons people feel the way they do. Bat**** crazy reasons IMO but reasons nonetheless. Stuff about how chickenpox is natural, or stuff about God's intention, or stuff about how vaccines are unnatural or harmful. Just google anything related to being unvaccinated and you will be inundated with reasons.

FWIW, I do not think unchained is a troll. There are plenty of pharmacists I know in real life that do not get vaccinated or do not promote them. I also know plenty that are into homeopathy or alternative 'medications'. You would think as a group we would be too educated for that but I guess it turns out anyone can believe ridiculous uneducated garbage.

If you do decide to google it, be careful how far down the rabbit hole you go - that way lies madness.

If this question is rhetorical, I agree with your point. If it is a sincere attempt to understand a conflicting opinion, it turns out that there are many reasons people feel the way they do. Bat**** crazy reasons IMO but reasons nonetheless. Stuff about how chickenpox is natural, or stuff about God's intention, or stuff about how vaccines are unnatural or harmful. Just google anything related to being unvaccinated and you will be inundated with reasons.

FWIW, I do not think unchained is a troll. There are plenty of pharmacists I know in real life that do not get vaccinated or do not promote them. I also know plenty that are into homeopathy or alternative 'medications'. You would think as a group we would be too educated for that but I guess it turns out anyone can believe ridiculous uneducated garbage.

If you do decide to google it, be careful how far down the rabbit hole you go - that way lies madness.

I'll just go with bat**** crazy

There are plenty of pharmacists I know in real life that do not get vaccinated or do not promote them. I also know plenty that are into homeopathy or alternative 'medications'. You would think as a group we would be too educated for that but I guess it turns out anyone can believe ridiculous uneducated garbage.
I went to school with plenty of people who were great at regurgitating what they were told without having any solid understanding of the material. These are the same people who believe in pseudoscience and consistently fall for MLM schemes.

I knew a lot of people like this in pharmacy school. A whole lot.

Heres the thing. If you believe vaccines cause autism your diet better be on point, you exercise regularly, you minimize screen time and if you want to go really crazy you test your home for mold, don't use WIFI due to the EMFs, buy organic, test new couches, cars and mattresses for flame ******ants. I mean. Im not saying this is an all or nothing game. I just find it very convenient that people are willing to say no to something one a year to their MD (easy) but aren't willing to make the same changes (or spend the money) on thing that can effect their health on a daily basis (hard).

I had chickenpox when I was very young. That was one miserable experience. My brother put off getting the shingles vaccine, and guess what he's been dealing with since last summer (probably triggered by my niece being an exchange student in a developing country where some of these diseases still exist). I got it about a year ago, and I sure am glad I did because I got a cancer diagnosis in the meantime, and am grateful I didn't have to deal with shingles on top of all that. (My prognosis is excellent; women, get your mammograms!)

Monkeypox looks a lot like smallpox, but it isn't the same disease. AFAIK, it is not transmissible person-to-person, although people can certainly contract it directly from other primates. My friend's husband had to get the smallpox vaccine due to his military duties, and she understood why it isn't given any more now that it's been eradicated. She said that scab was really gnarly looking.

BTW, we've actually rid the world of a second disease in the meantime. Rinderpest was a measles-like disease that was endemic in Africa until about the year 2000, when mass vaccination of cattle eliminated it.

And your children are protected by other parent's vaccinating their children. As someone above pointed out, go to a 3rd world country. People in the US, by and large, are immune from the horrors that exist when vaccinations aren't readily available to everyone. My vaccinating my children also protects your children, and I'm happy that I can do that for your children, even if you never thank me.

Heres the thing. If you believe vaccines cause autism your diet better be on point, you exercise regularly, you minimize screen time and if you want to go really crazy you test your home for mold, don't use WIFI due to the EMFs, buy organic, test new couches, cars and mattresses for flame ******ants. I mean. Im not saying this is an all or nothing game. I just find it very convenient that people are willing to say no to something one a year to their MD (easy) but aren't willing to make the same changes (or spend the money) on thing that can effect their health on a daily basis (hard).

Oh, many of them do go out for all this. And more, dangerously more. I've had enough children and been involved enough in parenting communities to know there are a lot more of these fringe livers than you would imagine. I've heard stories both in real life and on-line. Horrific stories, babies dying or ending up with brain damage because their parents refuse to get them real medical treatment, instead wanting "alternative" treatments. And parents themselves dying for the same reason.

People here in the US can afford to waste their time and money on nonsense,because they are completely immune to the reality of life before modern medicine. The Babies documentary really points this out (in the discussion with the parents at the end), it follows the pregnancy and births of 4 women in 4 different countries/cultures. The African parents were very excited to be able to participate in the movie, because they movie producers arranged for them to give birth in a hospital with an actual doctor--that was their main reason for wanting to be in the movie. It was like their 8th or 9th baby, all of the previous ones born at home, and they wanted nothing more than the safety of their current child to be born in a hospital.

On the other hand, the US couple wanted a home birth with a midwife (they ended up taking the baby to a hospital because of breathing issues, then the parents acted like it really wasn't needed anyway)--they wanted to be in the movie for fun and multiculturalism.

The African parents recognized the very real dangers of giving birth without medical attendance, undoubtedly they had seen many babies and mother's die. They recognized the great value in having trained medical professionals at a childbirth.

On the other hand, the US parents hadn't seen babies and mother's die, so they wrongly assume that is because childbirth is "safe" and "natural" and medical attendants completely unnecessary and even dangerous. So they don't recognize the very real value of medical attendants, so they purposely gave home at birth, then when their baby was having problems and they (wisely) took it to the hospital, they downplayed the whole thing as "unnecessary." If their baby had died at home during the birth (as happens at far higher rate than hospital births), they would have consoled themselves with "well, babies die in the hospitals too." Seriously, that is the garbage people who've lost children due to their own poor choices say --and they expound that garbage to gullible people all over the internet.

Pharmacists don't see these people, because they don't go to pharmacies (unless it's to buy herbals and homeopathy), and they certainly don't go to hospitals. But go to a parenting group, and you will see these wackos. Wackos who don't believe in antibiotics, even if their child has meningitis (they will go to a chiropractor instead!), wackos who believe in home births irregardless of how many risk factors they have (not that they would know, because they believe ultrasounds and doctors and even CNM's are "dangerous"), wackos who think people who eat organic are sell-outs because they are are raw vegan's, wackos who won't let their children have toys of any kind (they can only play with things found in nature, rocks, sticks, etc.), I could go on and on and on. Believe me, everything you listed and above, there are ALOT of parents living lives just like that in your local community.

Except for the wi-fi....while many of them won't let their children near wi-fi, most of them have no problem with wi-fi for themselves.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

What exactly is the point of the whole clean water example? There's a reason why there's still outbreaks here, herd immunity doesn't always work and these horrible parents are risking their children's lives.

If my kids went to these countries, they would be safe. If unchained kids went to these countries, they would be at risk.

I still don't understand how someone can be a pharmacist and not understand that vaccines work. If there was a way to mass produce flu shots much quicker every year, those would work much better too. Unchained has to just be a troll.

Update on Recommendations for Use of Herpes Zoster Vaccine

So, I'm actually pro-vaccination, but the varicella and zoster vaccines actually have real scientific controversy with respect to long-term prevention. This is actually in the current recommendations, but there are some major questions on the zoster vaccine's longer-term effectiveness. The titres have expired in healthy elderly as short as 5 years, so the recommendations are still quite in flux about it. That said, the nuance is whether or not someone should be revaccinated, not whether or not someone should be vaccinated. There also is a standing prospective clinical trial that compares:
1. Infected with native varicella, then Zostervax
2. Varicella vaccine, then Zostervax
3. Varicella vaccine, then nothing

among other group comparisons for rates. The next guideline update is this year, but the next realistic change is going to be sometime in the mid-2020s when we know the results of this trial.

So, I'm actually pro-vaccination, but the varicella and zoster vaccines actually have real scientific controversy with respect to long-term prevention. This is actually in the current recommendations, but there are some major questions on the zoster vaccine's longer-term effectiveness. The titres have expired in healthy elderly as short as 5 years, so the recommendations are still quite in flux about it. That said, the nuance is whether or not someone should be revaccinated, not whether or not someone should be vaccinated. There also is a standing prospective clinical trial that compares:

among other group comparisons for rates. The next guideline update is this year, but the next realistic change is going to be sometime in the mid-2020s when we know the results of this trial.
It'll be interesting to see long term results for Shingrix.

I never liked the percents tossed around for Zostavax. Even if you need a booster every so many years, it's still better then getting shingles.

I've been telling patients about the efficacy of this Zostavax for years. Doesn't seem many of us read the package insert. It was originally 60% effective for 2&1/2 years. They stopped following the patients after year 3 because it dropped off significantly. I believe in the latest inserts they somehow manipulated the data to make it look better. I'm certain this was in response to the imminent arrival of Shingrix.

It's a "better than nothing vaccine" and an opportunity to sell boosters. Can you imagine if this was the marketing campaign for anything else? Your toothpaste is better than nothing and you have to brush again two hours later. Your deodorant is 60% effective for 2 hours and then you have to reapply. And you might get a skin infection or have flu-like symptoms. lol.

It's a "better than nothing vaccine" and an opportunity to sell boosters. Can you imagine if this was the marketing campaign for anything else? Your toothpaste is better than nothing and you have to brush again two hours later. Your deodorant is 60% effective for 2 hours and then you have to reapply. And you might get a skin infection or have flu-like symptoms. lol.

Sigh. There is no comparison with turning in to Cinderella and grossing out one's date after 2 hours, and with getting a potentially permanently debilitating disease.