Am I making a good choice? Would you do something different?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted879494

I am a 25 year old senior in college graduating with a BA in liberal arts from a reputable state school.
I struggled finding a career path to dedicate myself to but decided now that I want to be in health care.
But I'm going to need a job with a living wage and benefits and I really don't have the option to pursue a professional program that can take years to get into and then years to graduate from. How will I live in the meantime?
So I'm dual enrolled in a PTA (physical therapist assistant) program at a nearby community college. I will do 1 year of professional training and then I will get licensed and be able to have a stable job with 60k and benefits.
From there I want to get into an MD program.
I've taken a lot of science courses before as I actually started college as an engineering major. So I'm very competent in engineering level physics, calculus, and chemistry.
I have a collection of textbooks on my shelf along with the full Kaplan MCAT study pack.
I'll be reading these in my spare time.

That's where I'm at right now.
Does it sound like a solid plan?
What would you do differently? In addition?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a 25 year old senior in college graduating with a BA in liberal arts from a reputable state school.
I struggled finding a career path to dedicate myself to but decided now that I want to be in health care.
But I'm going to need a job with a living wage and benefits and I really don't have the option to pursue a professional program that can take years to get into and then years to graduate from. How will I live in the meantime?
So I'm dual enrolled in a PTA (physical therapist assistant) program at a nearby community college. I will do 1 year of professional training and then I will get licensed and be able to have a stable job with 60k and benefits.
I've taken a lot of science courses before as I actually started college as an engineering major. So I'm very competent in engineering level physics, calculus, and chemistry.
I have a collection of textbooks on my shelf along with the full Kaplan MCAT study pack.

As long as you can handle work, volunteering, school, etc, then it is fine. Being a PTA should give you plenty of connections for shadowing, etc and also fill up your "experience in healthcare" checkbox.

Reactions: 1 user

It's a good plan. You have to remember that this process is a marathon now, and not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and by the time you apply, several more will have opened.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a good plan. You have to remember that this process is a marathon now, and not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and by the time you apply, several more will have opened.
I think people really underestimate this advice, which stinks because it is so valuable.

From first-hand experience, (Educational administration -> Medicine), the entire nontrad route is arduous, but doable. Just know there is tons of work to be done, be willing to do it, and don't be in a rush. Apply only when your application is ready, and if it doesn't work the way you want it to, don't be afraid to strengthen your app and try again, instead of bailing or settling on something else.

Reactions: 1 users