Am I on the right track for Pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmotilal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a bit new to SDN, I was wondering whether i am on the right track for Pre-medicine. I'm going into my senior year in highschool, and I'm also a Dual Enrollment student at IRSC, my local college. I've completed about 12 credits so far towards my Associates in the Arts Degree. I've completed all of my English classes, one History class, and Intermediate Algebra. So far, my GPA at the college is a 3.0. Not the greatest, I know but I'm hoping to bring it up this coming Fall semester. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to medical school with any major at all, as long as you've taken (and done well in) the prerequisites.

Your low GPA won't hurt you as long as you show an upward trend over the course of your studies.

Take classes you legitimately enjoy, don't overload yourself, and if your grades start to slip for any reason, ask your advisors for help instead of trying to go it alone.

One of my classmates in med school majored in dance. Art, history, etc. were not uncommon as well. As binko said, at this point as long as you intend to complete pre-requisite courses before you apply, that's all that matters. Take enjoyable classes when you can, do well, and make sure this is the career path you want for yourself by getting patient exposure in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't rush the pre-reqs, and get involved with volunteering this summer.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I will try volunteering at the local hospital.