Am i on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOCCER21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted here before but I'm really looking for guidance. I am a junior in Tennessee. I planned to take physics this fall but because of a packed schedule, the need to work, and family matters I withdrew. This was to prevent stress and assure a semester full of all B's wan't attained. I am wanting to apply to be in the 2012 cycle...I believe (once I grad in May 2012 I'll be in med school that fall). To make this happen I'll have to take physics 1 this coming spring semester and take physics 2 during the summer. I plan on taking my MCAT in August. Hopefully, this will keep me in the first wave of applicants. A previous advisor told me I was crazy because I need to clear my summer for massive studying for my MCAT (8-10 hrs a day for 2 months). However, I am taking the Kaplan course this winter and will have a 5-6 week gap between the end of spring semester and start of physics 2. Does this sound reasonable or have I ruined my chances by with drawing from physics this past semester? And one final question is one semester of biochemistry sufficient? because I am unsure if biochemistry 2 will be beneficial to the MCAT.
Oh and just to give a bit more info I have a GPA OF 3.984 with lots of EC including research, shadowing/volunteering, and maintaining a part-time job.
Sorry, if this was a bit long but thanks for listening!

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted here before but I'm really looking for guidance. I am a junior in Tennessee. I planned to take physics this fall but because of a packed schedule, the need to work, and family matters I withdrew. This was to prevent stress and assure a semester full of all B's wan't attained. I am wanting to apply to be in the 2012 cycle...I believe (once I grad in May 2012 I'll be in med school that fall). To make this happen I'll have to take physics 1 this coming spring semester and take physics 2 during the summer. I plan on taking my MCAT in August. Hopefully, this will keep me in the first wave of applicants. A previous advisor told me I was crazy because I need to clear my summer for massive studying for my MCAT (8-10 hrs a day for 2 months). However, I am taking the Kaplan course this winter and will have a 5-6 week gap between the end of spring semester and start of physics 2. Does this sound reasonable or have I ruined my chances by with drawing from physics this past semester? And one final question is one semester of biochemistry sufficient? because I am unsure if biochemistry 2 will be beneficial to the MCAT.
Oh and just to give a bit more info I have a GPA OF 3.984 with lots of EC including research, shadowing/volunteering, and maintaining a part-time job.
Sorry, if this was a bit long but thanks for listening!

Okay... If you take the MCAT in August, you won't be as early as you think you are... Many people suggest that you take it in April or May to be considered an early applicant. I took mine in July... The key to taking a somewhat later MCAT is having everything done for when your MCAT scores get to the school. You obviously are competitive... but I'm not sure how much studying you will get done for the physical sciences without finishing physics 2 until the summer... I guess it depends on home much you can teach yourself and balance your time... Also one semester of biochemistry is fine... you don't really need it for the MCAT

one sem of biochem is fine, just in terms of suggested pre-req's...it really won't help that much on the mcat, so don't get your hopes up.

taking an august mcat does NOT put you in the first wave of applicants! the first wave of applicants has everything done and submitted in june. in fact, getting your score back in sept makes you complete in sept; on SDN, that's late-- in real life, that's okay, but not great.

i dunno about the whole physics thing. most people suggest finishing all prereqs before studying for the test, but there's always exceptions to this guideline. don't take it until you feel you are ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is SDN? and Is there alot of Physics 2 on the MCAT i was told it was mostly physics 1. So my application would be considered late even if I took it August 5? I had planned to have the rest of my application done. So in the long run what do yall think? Bad, Okay,or Fine.

What is SDN? and Is there alot of Physics 2 on the MCAT i was told it was mostly physics 1. So my application would be considered late even if I took it August 5? I had planned to have the rest of my application done. So in the long run what do yall think? Bad, Okay,or Fine.

SDN=student doctor network.. aka.. the site you're currently posting threads on....

yes you will be considered late, and yes there is physics 2 on the MCAT.. at least the way my university teaches it. If you are assuming its just going to be physics one, why not take in in your break between spring and summer?