Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicinewoman85

Thats what she says
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice about volunteer, clinical experience, and ec's. I am a little confused on all three in the sense that can one activity both count for an ec and a volunteer experience. This is what I am doing so far.

I plan to shadow an ER physcian, epidemiologist, and an OBGYN ( i know them well and all have agreed to let me shadow). I volunteer for the Magic of Life FOundation which is a non profit for cancer patients and survivors. I work in the ER as a Physician Scribe. I signed a contract for 2 years so I guess that is my clinical experience. I am also on a health commitee at my church, which had several different health professionals where we discuss and write about different diseases to ediucate the members of our church. Last but not least I volunteer with Georgia Close Up which is another non profit that takes middle school kids to the capitol and teach them about politics, laws, and current events. We discuss whats going on today with the election and different things that affect our community.

Well I need to know is that all enough or do I need to add something. I am a non trad student so I am not sure if this will make my app competitve enough. My GPA is low (3.1) but my science GPA is hovering aroung a 3.8(hopefully it stays that way). I'm thinking I wont get into a MD but maybe a DO. Is there anything I can do to strenghthen my app. Thanks and sorry for the long post.:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I need some advice about volunteer, clinical experience, and ec's. I am a little confused on all three in the sense that can one activity both count for an ec and a volunteer experience. This is what I am doing so far.

I plan to shadow an ER physcian, epidemiologist, and an OBGYN ( i know them well and all have agreed to let me shadow). I volunteer for the Magic of Life FOundation which is a non profit for cancer patients and survivors. I work in the ER as a Physician Scribe. I signed a contract for 2 years so I guess that is my clinical experience. I am also on a health commitee at my church, which had several different health professionals where we discuss and write about different diseases to ediucate the members of our church. Last but not least I volunteer with Georgia Close Up which is another non profit that takes middle school kids to the capitol and teach them about politics, laws, and current events. We discuss whats going on today with the election and different things that affect our community.

Well I need to know is that all enough or do I need to add something. I am a non trad student so I am not sure if this will make my app competitve enough. My GPA is low (3.1) but my science GPA is hovering aroung a 3.8(hopefully it stays that way). I'm thinking I wont get into a MD but maybe a DO. Is there anything I can do to strenghthen my app. Thanks and sorry for the long post.:eek:
It looks like you'll have clinical experience covered (how long will you scribe before applying?), shadowing, and nonmedical community service, and probably teaching. I don't see Peer Leadership or Research, but neither is required (though both or either would strengthen an application).

One activity can cover 2-3 categories. When this is the case, you list it once, but make clear in the name you give it and in your narrative description that it covers more designations.

Also, consider adding your hobbies and artistic endeavors.

It looks like you'll have clinical experience covered (how long will you scribe before applying?), shadowing, and nonmedical community service, and probably teaching. I don't see Peer Leadership or Research, but neither is required (though both or either would strengthen an application).

One activity can cover 2-3 categories. When this is the case, you list it once, but make clear in the name you give it and in your narrative description that it covers more designations.

Also, consider adding your hobbies and artistic endeavors.

I will be doing all of this for two years before applying. Do you think I will have a chance with md and do, or just do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I will have a chance with md and do, or just do?
Without an MCAT score and more detailed information about why your GPA is low and what you have done or will do to repair it, I can't answer. With such an excellent BCPM, though, you are still in the game for either.

What was your year-by-year GPA? How long ago was that? I assume you are doing postbac work now. What is the best cGPA you could have with the postbac plans figured in?

Without an MCAT score and more detailed information about why your GPA is low and what you have done or will do to repair it, I can't answer. With such an excellent BCPM, though, you are still in the game for either.

What was your year-by-year GPA? How long ago was that? I assume you are doing postbac work now. What is the best cGPA you could have with the postbac plans figured in?

I took two years of college 8 yrs ago online and I didn't do well at all. My I failed several classes and I had to retake several. My gps was around 2.3 and 2.5. Since I have gone back to school I have been doing really well. I'm still working on my undergrad. I have another two yrs before I finish. The highest cgpa looks like it will be around a 3.0 to 3.2. That is calculating the aamcas method.

Some retakes might get that cGPA higher fast. Do you know about DO grade forgiveness?

Each class that one retakes must have the same credit hours as the original course, or greater in order to invoke the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy. The retake need not be at the same school. The course name needn't be identical so long as the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

When one retakes, only the most recent grade is included in the calculation of your application GPA by AACOMAS. This is the fastest way to redeem a low GPA.

All med schools are not equally friendly to distance learning credits. Consider especially retaking any prerequisites, like English and math, where you got a poor grade.

The highest cgpa looks like it will be around a 3.0 to 3.2. That is calculating the aamcas method.
If your cGPA is eventually > 3.0 and you get a strong MCAT score, you'd be a candidate for an 1-year SMP, which could give you a shot at MD schools. See the Postbac Programs Forum for information.

An amazingly high MCAT score and 2+ years of excellent grades might do the same thing at some schools.