Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun1nth3sun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a community college student and I want to transfer to the Medical technology program at umbc.

Right now, I am on my 3rd semester. I am planning to apply for Spring admission.

My first semester I had a 3.23 gpa, then I had a 2.68 (Had a couple of disappointing low B`s that turned into C`s at the last minute
frown.gif;wa91c11289ba819fd6

And this semester, i believe I can get a gpa of 3.35-3.5, depending
Also, I took several honors classes that I have gotten A`s and B`s in...I am also in the Honors program.

So my overall gpa would be in the range of like 3.1-3.25 ishh

My high school gpa was 3.6 and SAT score was 1500
I had a 570 on Math SAT subject test
and 590 on Chemistry SAT subject test

What are my chances of getting accepted to umbc?

I know a 3.5 is generally recommended,, but I have a couple C`s and those C`s bring down your gpa so bad..
frown.gif;wa91c11289ba819fd6

Also, I held a job thoughout my freshmen yet at college..Would I be able to indicate my struggles with balancing out school and work in my essay?

Volunteer at hospital for 1 year
Honors Program graduate at community college
I plan to volunteer at a homeless shelter for a year
I plan to gain clinical experience as a medical technologist for one year ( if I get into the Med tech program)
I plan to do at least 2 semesters of research

Do you think that If I retake my SAT and do really well (1700 or above) that I could possibly have a higher chance of getting in to UMBC..even with my barely 3.2 gpa?

I was going to apply early decision,,,but since my gpa is so low,, I will wait until I finish my 4th semester to give my self a chance to bring my gpa up. I will also be taking harder courses, so It will give me a chance to prove my self.

Also, Am I on the right track?
Can I still bounce back from my pathetic gpa?
Should I retake courses I got a C in?
With a 30 MCAT and if I can get my gpa up to 3.5..can I get into any MD programs?

I do not mind if I do not go to a top 20 school.
Obviously those are reach school for me anyways.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the general consensus is to not take med school pre req's from community colleges. If I were you I would get into a university and then take all your pre req's (if you took them already then take them again).

the general consensus is to not take med school pre req's from community colleges. If I were you I would get into a university and then take all your pre req's (if you took them already then take them again).

That`s what I plan on doing. I am just trying to finish up my associates and then transfer, so I can possibly get a research type job in the future.