etherealsolvent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior and throughout high school, I didn't take school as seriously as I should have and now I have a 3.3 gpa and 2140 sat I doubt I can even get into any reputable college or college at all. I realize how important how academics are now, and how if I maintain the same work ethic in undergrad I will never be able to achieve my goal of becoming doctor. However, I'm scared that if I did so bad in high school, I'm going to much worse in undergrad. Any tips on how I can do well in undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a high school senior and throughout high school, I didn't take school as seriously as I should have and now I have a 3.3 gpa and 2140 sat I doubt I can even get into any reputable college or college at all. I realize how important how academics are now, and how if I maintain the same work ethic in undergrad I will never be able to achieve my goal of becoming doctor. However, I'm scared that if I did so bad in high school, I'm going to much worse in undergrad. Any tips on how I can do well in undergrad?

Do not be so pessimistic, it will not help you. You will definitely get into a college, reputable or not. You do not need to worry about how elite your undergrad college is, because medical schools take students from all different backgrounds. As for your undergraduate career, you will just need to put in more effort. It all comes down to how hard you work. Undergrad is where you learn how to learn. It is where you will learn what study methods work for you and how you can succeed. Do not use your past to predict your future; all things can change. You're already realizing how important it is that you're competitive for medical school, so use that as motivation to change your study habits in undergrad and excel. There will be tough times, but we all have them and medical (all graduate and professional schools for that matter) schools know this.

So the bottom line is: PUT IN THE TIME! You will see results.

Also, a quick google tells me a 2140 SAT score is quite good. Don't be so hard on yourself. YOU'RE NOT DUMB.

Reactions: 1 user
This question has been asked ad nauseam in this sub-forum. Do a quick search and see the answers - you gotta change that work ethic at some point. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
no, medicine is mastered through experience and repetition. as is the material in college and med school.

subjects that are the exception from this include physics and math, but most med students are biology majors

If you're too dumb for medical school then I am as well--and they let me in! My high school GPA was also a 3.3. I forget what my SAT--it was above average, but not stellar. I have no idea how to relate it to the current scoring system since mine was out of 1600. I just didn't study in high school--I wasn't into academics at the time and because I did well without studying much I just kept coasting on. It got me a few UC acceptances for undergrad, thought I opted for a smaller private school. I got a bit more serious in undergrad (I think I had a 3.5), and got really serious when I did a post-bac (got a 3.95, though that really didn't bring up my total GPA much--that is why it's important to do well from the start of undergrad).

Bottom line is you can certainly get into a reputable college--probably not a top university like Harvard or Berkeley, but somewhere reputable still. Get your act together in college, study, and get mostly A's/A-'s, and you'll get into medical school.

Major in something you like, and would be a field you'd pursue if you can't do medicine. You'll get much better grades that way.

>top 3% SAT
>am I too stupid

No. Gonna have to work a lot harder in college if you want to be competitive though.

Is this a troll post? :troll::troll: I had a 2020 SAT and I was just accepted into medical school. Are you calling me dumb as well? :laugh::laugh:

Chill out m8. You're not dumb.

You will be able to get into a great university with that gpa and SAT score (great score by the way!!). It may not be Harvard or Stanford, but you do not have to go to a top university to go to medical school. When applying to colleges look into your state schools, as long as you attend a four year university, the college itself is not a major factor. My advice for undergrad is to come out strong and make a solid gpa 3.7+ your first two semesters, as these will be the easiest courses you have your whole college career. Stress getting As in your pre-req classes (chem I/II, biology, ochem I/II etc...) because behind the MCAT, this is the next biggest selection factor. Study a little bit everyday and by the time the tests come, you will feel like you already know the material and just have to review some before the test. Ochem tends to be the weed out class for most pre-meds, so when you get to ochem I study harder than you ever have in your life.

Most colleges have education or learning centers, which will help you with time mgt skills, learning styles, test taking strategies, etc. Go make friends with them right away.

Alos remember that most of us, me especially, were *****s in high school. With time, comes maturity.

Reactions: 4 users
A 2140 with no effort is pretty solid lol I'm sure it's in the top 4-5% of test takers in the nation. I was also lazy and got a very similar SAT score as you. Your GPA can be low because of things like the teacher not liking you/not doing hw. High school is way too subjective and teachers can get away with almost anything but I think undergrad is generally more objective. Also, undergrad reputation is not the end all be all. If you go to an accredited 4 year university and do well, chances are you can get into med school. High school never stimulated me and I'm sure you feel the same way. Work hard when you go into college; chances are it'll be much harder than high school. For me it was a slap to the face when I couldn't get a 3.8 doing nothing anymore.

You'll be fine. People change a lot in college. College also has a lot more resources that can help you achieve your goals. Self-doubt is normal, and a lot of people go through it - but you need to stay positive. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be alright.

Your SAT score is pretty high, which shows that you ARE capable! You just have to put in the work ethic and you will be stellar! Don't lose hope!

You think that's bad? I have a 3.0 GPA and a 940(below average) on the new SAT that I won't be retaking. I plan on saving money and I figured out a viable path for this.

I'm going to community college then transferring to a 4-year university. Getting into CC is easy and cheap, and saving $50k is a deal to me. From what I've heard, MOST medical schools don't care if you choose to go to junior college then transfer to a 4yr, as long as you show a high work ethic once you transfer. Also, just do the pre-reqs in the 4 year college and you're set.

I'm not even a little bit worried. I've heard of x3 worse positions to be in. You have nothing to worry about.

What actually matters most towards getting into med school is how you perform on the MCAT, your college GPA, and your EC's. For example, I'm planning on setting a threshold for my GPA to 3.5 when I begin college. In high school, I didn't give a darn about anything, but that won't matter in the long run.

TLDR; You'll be OK.

You don't need a big name undergrad to get into med school. What you do need to figure out though is what led to your 3.3 GPA. You'll need to be significantly above average in undergrad to be competitive for med school

I think he clearly was just bored and unmotivated by high school. Most classes are incredibly easy at that point.

You probably have piss poor time management/study skills like I do
And I kind of blame that on the fact that I could sleep in class back in HS and get an A..
Not like that anymore 0_0