am i too late for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bravemonwooper

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey y'all, feeling a little unmotivated :(

so i applied to 62 schools for the 2020-2021 cycle (i know), both MD and DO, my first time applying. i got one interview at a DO school and one at a MD school--got waitlisted by both. i've been rejected by the DO school as of last month, but i've been on the waitlist for the MD school since late january and i'm still on it now (school starts in 3 days). feeling a little hopeless about getting off last-minute, so i'm posting this.

i was unsure about reapplying for 2021-2022 but decided to go for it. life happened, and i wasn't able to submit my AMCAS until 7/19 (still waiting verification). i'm pre-writing secondaries now, but given the verification time, i'm wondering if i'll even get secondaries before labor day.

my stats are 3.45 GPA, 507 MCAT, URM from CA. stats aren't great, but my LizzyM is around 77 from research and other experiences. am i too late for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

What have you done to,significantly improve your application from last cycle?
How long is it taking to verify transcripts at this point?
Did you get new letters? Did you ask how you could improve your application?
What URM group do you represent? I don’ t think LizzyM takes into account research etc. I think that is WARS. Where did you apply last time? Sharing your list might help. Perhaps the main issue was a bad list? Where are you applying this cycle?
if you can get your secondaries prewritten and get them turned in you by LaborvDay you won’t be late.
Depending on your answers, you maybe should have waited a cycle to reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
it is situations like this that I advise all applicants that they will be rejected and therefore continue to improve your record. The above OP should have planning a reapplication since January, rereading secondaries, primary, and trying to improve the themes and narratives presented. Every applicant, I repeat, every applicant starts as rejected (not accepted) and therefore until you have an acceptance letter in your hand, you keep working at it. No matter how optimistic things may be, nothing exists until an acceptance letter appears.

Reactions: 4 users
Assuming it takes 5 weeks (maybe longer or shorter) to get verified, your primary app would go out around the last week of August. Then assuming a few days for the schools to send you secondaries.

If you can pre-write all of your secondaries by then, you could submit them around late August, early September, which isn't horrible. It seems that the conventional wisdom is that you are on time until Labor Day, so you wouldn't be 'too late'. Just not early

Status
Not open for further replies.